Getting Data In

How to track file modification on a Linux server as an Alert?

Engager

Dear Community,

I have 2 question.

First one i have index=linux and some computers. I want to track file modifications sudoers and sshd_config file. For example if someone makes a change on sshd_config i want to see this change on Splunk as a alert. I searched on the internet about this and couldn't find. Actually the real thing i want is tracking changing PermitRootLogin (sshd_config) string changes from No to Yes but as i know this is hard to detect in Splunk.

Any help would be appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the fschange input to be notified when a file changes without getting data from the file itself.  That input has been deprecated for quite a while so it may go away at any time, however.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Engager

Thank you for your reply. I did some research. I think i can use command parameter in Linux for tracking who edited those files. For example people is using vi, nano and echo commands for making changes on a file. Do you have any idea about this stuff?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, it should be possible to parse the command log (if present on the system) to find commands that changed a given file, although it may be possible for users to obfuscate their attempts.

---
0 Karma

Engager

What about Linux add-on? Can i do this kind of jobs with that?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Possibly.  There are several Linux add-ons and one or more of them may help.  The "Linux Auditd Technology Add-on" (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4232) looks promising, however, it only parses the data.  It's up to you to get the data into Splunk.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...