The Build of my 1941 Buick Roadmaster 76C Convertible Coupe

Hello,

I have an update for my garage. On December 1st 2022, I purchased a 1941 Roadmaster Convertible Coupe 76C which was first advertised 2 years ago in Perth, Western Australia. This car was an original Lancaster Gray (Paint No. 565) with Red Leather (Trim No. 919).

The car was owned by Bernie Fritshaw in Ontario, Canada from 1979 until 2014 when it was imported into Perth, Australia by the previous owner to me (who sold due to health issues). Bern Fritshaw purchased the car from New Jersey in 1979. I believe this would be the only 1941 Model 76C in Australia, as I'm led to believe there may only be 50-60 left in existence (correct me if you know differently).

Due to losing both my parents in 2021, I have received an inheritance enabling me to do something special, so this is it. At 60 years old, I've never carried out a full restoration before, but I have the right people around me with the skills and I intend to hone my own skills by being fully involved wherever I can. I'm certain some of you would have seen this car advertised.

It came with a long list of parts including;

• All die-cast chrome done in Canada (in addition to what is fitted to car).
  • Rebuilt suspension for all 4 wheels (in addition to what is fitted to car).
  • All new date-coded glass.
  • New complete exhaust system.
  • New wiring kit.
  • New front & rear floor sections & sill panels (by Doug Seybold).
  • Restored stainless rocker moldings.
  • New body to chassis mounts and all associated hardware.
  • Many NOS items including front fenders, clock, fog-lights & bumper brackets.
  • The original door trims with original leather suitable to take patterns from.
  • Original workshop manuals.
  • Lots of spare parts.
  • Plus a serious amount of 'optional convertible floor rust'. 😩

I am wanting to document the build of the car online so will post updates from time-to-time, however my regular (more detailed) log will be via a Facebook page titled 'Forty One Buick Roadmaster Build'. The page already has 267 'friends' after being created just 24hrs ago. I know a huge amount of people here in Adelaide (South Australia) through the American Car Cruise Nights I have been organising for 34 years. I am also well-connected to car people on Facebook within Australia, the USA and other countries.

I greatly value the interaction I have had with a number of you regarding my green 1941 Special Series-A Business Coupe (you may remember).

Regards & blessings, Grant Zippel

2023 01 28.jpg

1978-2015 #4.jpg

Edited by Grant Z
Some small errors (see edit history)
  • Like 15

Hello Grant, Thankyou for sharing this wonderful  journey with your  41 Buick 76c.

I wish you  all the best with the restoration and im sure it will be a fabulous  example  when finished.

You probably know about this photo i am sending you of  the same model ,owned by a very famous owner

that is associated  with Buick Club Of America in many ways.

Photo is from--- Seventy years of Buick--- by Gearge H Dammann

IMG_1317.jpg  41 Buick.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Hello Grant, Thankyou for sharing this wonderful  journey with your  41 Buick 76c.

I wish you  all the best with the restoration and im sure it will be a fabulous  example  when finished.

You probably know about this photo i am sending you of  the same model ,owned by a very famous owner

that is associated  with Buick Club Of America in many ways.

Photo is from--- Seventy years of Buick--- by Gearge H Dammann

Hi Wayne, many thanks for your response and your words of encouragement.

I've only recently hear about Nicola Bulgari as the previous owner to my car has been to his collection in Allentown, PA. The previous owner has a 1934 Limited Sport Coupe (1 of 2 in the world apparently as Nicola has 1934 & 1935 versions (I believe on 1 of the 1935 models exists). So I did some Googling and saw pics of these cars and what appeared to be 1 or more 1941 76C Roadmasters on display.

You live in Australia?

Cheers, Grant

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

Best of luck with your "new" car. Will you be adding a thread to Me and My Buick?

Hi Mike, I wasn't aware of that page sorry (it was staring me in the face of course). I find this forum confusing so I will have to try to understand it. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 4:35 AM, Grant Z said:

Hello,

I have an update for my garage. On December 1st 2023, I purchased a 1941 Roadmaster Convertible Coupe 76C.....................

2023 01 28.jpg

1978-2015 #4.jpg

Congratulations!     I realize Australia is ahead of North America on the time clock but I didn't realize it was that far ahead!   You bought the car "December 1, 2023"??   😉😉😉

It will be a real nice car when it's finished.  Depending on how you look at it you're either a about a year ahead, or behind, schedule.

Happy restoring,  take care.

12 hours ago, 1937McBuick said:

Congratulations!     I realize Australia is ahead of North America on the time clock but I didn't realize it was that far ahead!   You bought the car "December 1, 2023"??   😉😉😉

It will be a real nice car when it's finished.  Depending on how you look at it you're either a about a year ahead, or behind, schedule.

Happy restoring,  take care.

Ha ha! My mistake (now corrected).

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Yes I have a huge task in front of me, but I'm surrounding myself with those who have restored several cars and know what they're talking about. This is my 1 chance to restore a car and it sure is something special so I am determined to finish the task God willing.

• Like 2

ADVICE SOUGHT - After a suggestion from kingrudy (Mike Nelson), I'm starting to think I really should have this topic/post on the 'Me and My Buick' page instead of this 'Pre War' page. I'm unsure how to use this forum so perhaps if some of you could comment with your thoughts on this please?

• Like 1

Just click "report" and ask moderator to move the thread to

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/86-our-cars-restoration-projects/  Will get most exposure. Matt H has a long thread on his 1941 Limited.

or

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/58-me-and-my-buick/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, 1939_Buick said:

Just click "report" and ask moderator to move the thread to

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/86-our-cars-restoration-projects/  Will get most exposure. Matt H has a long thread on his 1941 Limited.

or

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/58-me-and-my-buick/

Thanks for that info. For the life of me I cannot find Matt Harwood's thread on his 1941 Limited. I find this forum so frustrating to use. A search on his name brings up nothing.

45 minutes ago, Grant Z said:

Thanks for that info. For the life of me I cannot find Matt Harwood's thread on his 1941 Limited. I find this forum so frustrating to use. A search on his name brings up nothing.

Here you go!

• Thanks 1

Well, I began disassembling the Roadmaster on Tuesday Jan 24th, and have covered the following;

·              Remove & disassemble front & rear seats.

·              Removed 2-piece windscreen.

·              Still removing instrument cluster and everything from dash (lots of rusty & tricky stuff here).

·              Bagged & tagged associated small parts, bolts & screws etc.

·              Took numerous photos with notes.

·              I worked on the car all except 1 day.

Forward 1-week to now (Feb 12)

After a somewhat frustrating time (I am sure there are many more to come) removing the switches from the dash last week, I now have the interior stripped (apart from the dash itself, the steering column & wheel, and the convertible roof [folded down]).

Over these last few days, I’ve removed the following parts;

·              Front bumper & brackets

·              Radiator-grill filler panel/cover

·              Front valance panels (between bottom of grill & bumper)

·              Grill

·              Radiator and associated support panel

·              LH & RH fenders (“mud-guards” in Australia)

·              LH & RH inner fenders

I now have no body panels in front of the firewall - just the big 320ci motor sitting in the chassis for all to see.

NOS FENDERS: I was told when I purchased the car that the front fenders are NOS - they sure looked that way. On the underside of the front corner of each fender are part numbers (1320998 & 1320999) in yellow paint. I looked up my ‘Master Parts List for Buicks’ book and found those exact part numbers. These fenders were available for a cost of $38.55 each, and for an extra $3.50 you could have them painted in colour. I can only imagine what they might be worth 82 years later in perfect unused condition.

In the removal of the valance panels, I discovered a living Redback spider which obviously decided to take up residence since the car arrived in Australia. These are one of many dangerous critters we have in Australia.

CORRECT ENGINE #74328907: 320ci Straight-8 correct for 1941?: I then decided to check if the big 320ci Straight-8 engine was indeed correct for 1941. These big engines were produced from 1936-1952 so I was hoping it had not been replaced at some stage. I looked online and found that the correct engine number range for these engines in 1941 is 74085000-74457940 and I was pleased that mine is 74328907, so is correct for 1941, very likely the original engine for this car as the car has not been driven since well before 1979 from what I’ve been told.

Next will be the removal of this monster-motor weighing 862lbs (391kg) plus 3-speed manual transmission.

I am 6ft 1inch tall but I look small in this car

Facebook Post.jpg

The stripped interior (almost). I know what you're really looking at - the rare light-weight racing floor-pan 👀

Facebook Post 1.jpg

Facebook Post 2.jpg

More of the 'light-weight' floor pan.

Facebook Post 4.jpg

My NOS fenders

Facebook Post 5.jpg

All front sheet-metal removed. Engine & trans removal next.

Facebook Post 3.jpg

Edited by Grant Z
Titles for each photo (see edit history)
  • Like 9

You have taken some great photographs and displayed even greater enthusiasm! Keep them coming.

I did a bunch of under dash work when putting in a new wire loom. It was cramped and I am a lot

shorter than you. I only removed the front seat. I like your idea of 'taking it all out'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

I like the garage Grant.   Keep up the good work.

Many thanks. The car will go in my other garage of the same size which will be the workshop after I've sorted out some issues with it.

6 hours ago, neil morse said:

Looks like you're off to a great start, Grant!  I'm so glad that you've started this thread so we can all follow along with your project!

Sincere thanks Neil. I hope you enjoy the journey, and I look forward to your opinion on some things along the way.

11 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

It sure will be fun replacing the floor boards. Keep up the good work. Mike

Hi Mike, I look forward to being involved in that part of the resto. New floor panels and sill panels by Doug Seybold are with the car so will help enormously. Thanks for the encouragement.

16 hours ago, Roadmaster71 said:

You have taken some great photographs and displayed even greater enthusiasm! Keep them coming.

I did a bunch of under dash work when putting in a new wire loom. It was cramped and I am a lot

shorter than you. I only removed the front seat. I like your idea of 'taking it all out'.

Thanks (not sure of your name), thanks for your encouragement. I had to take all the interior out anyway as this is a total restoration of every square inch of the car.

• Like 1

Sorry about the nameless icon, Grant. The name here is Ken Carr. Very nice to meet you. I will be following your story. If you need a reference photo of any part, I may be able to supply it. I have a 1941 Roadmaster four door sedan. The cars will have some identical items. I also highly recommend the postings by other owners. Neil Morse, for one,  has been especially helpful to me when I had questions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenneth Carr said:

Sorry about the nameless icon, Grant. The name here is Ken Carr. Very nice to meet you. I will be following your story. If you need a reference photo of any part, I may be able to supply it. I have a 1941 Roadmaster four door sedan. The cars will have some identical items. I also highly recommend the postings by other owners. Neil Morse, for one,  has been especially helpful to me when I had questions.

Oh, thanks for providing your name Ken. Yes I've had some dealings with Neil Morse and found him a gentleman. I'm slowly building a list of potential 1941 owners plus Ken Green (1940 76C). This is most important to me as '41 Buicks are rare here in Australia. Fortunately I have another (Series-A Special Coupe) which has already been helpful.

Regards & thanks again.

Grant

• Thanks 1

Just sent you a note about your floor pans, but upon further reading I see that you already have replacements.  Here's a couple shots of the temp shoring that Dan did on my car.  Don't be afraid to weld brackets to solid metal on the windshield frame or door openings.  You can cut and grind back to original very easily.

DSCN7617.JPG

DSCN7607.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 4:48 AM, Grant Z said:

Well, I began disassembling the Roadmaster on Tuesday Jan 24th, and have covered the following;

·              Remove & disassemble front & rear seats.

·              Removed 2-piece windscreen.

·              Still removing instrument cluster and everything from dash (lots of rusty & tricky stuff here).

·              Bagged & tagged associated small parts, bolts & screws etc.

·              Took numerous photos with notes.

·              I worked on the car all except 1 day.

Forward 1-week to now (Feb 12)

After a somewhat frustrating time (I am sure there are many more to come) removing the switches from the dash last week, I now have the interior stripped (apart from the dash itself, the steering column & wheel, and the convertible roof [folded down]).

Over these last few days, I’ve removed the following parts;

·              Front bumper & brackets

·              Radiator-grill filler panel/cover

·              Front valance panels (between bottom of grill & bumper)

·              Grill

·              Radiator and associated support panel

·              LH & RH fenders (“mud-guards” in Australia)

·              LH & RH inner fenders

I now have no body panels in front of the firewall - just the big 320ci motor sitting in the chassis for all to see.

NOS FENDERS: I was told when I purchased the car that the front fenders are NOS - they sure looked that way. On the underside of the front corner of each fender are part numbers (1320998 & 1320999) in yellow paint. I looked up my ‘Master Parts List for Buicks’ book and found those exact part numbers. These fenders were available for a cost of $38.55 each, and for an extra $3.50 you could have them painted in colour. I can only imagine what they might be worth 82 years later in perfect unused condition.

In the removal of the valance panels, I discovered a living Redback spider which obviously decided to take up residence since the car arrived in Australia. These are one of many dangerous critters we have in Australia.

CORRECT ENGINE #74328907: 320ci Straight-8 correct for 1941?: I then decided to check if the big 320ci Straight-8 engine was indeed correct for 1941. These big engines were produced from 1936-1952 so I was hoping it had not been replaced at some stage. I looked online and found that the correct engine number range for these engines in 1941 is 74085000-74457940 and I was pleased that mine is 74328907, so is correct for 1941, very likely the original engine for this car as the car has not been driven since well before 1979 from what I’ve been told.

Next will be the removal of this monster-motor weighing 862lbs (391kg) plus 3-speed manual transmission.

I am 6ft 1inch tall but I look small in this car

Facebook Post.jpg

The stripped interior (almost). I know what you're really looking at - the rare light-weight racing floor-pan 👀

Facebook Post 1.jpg

Facebook Post 2.jpg

More of the 'light-weight' floor pan.

Facebook Post 4.jpg

My NOS fenders

Facebook Post 5.jpg

All front sheet-metal removed. Engine & trans removal next.

Facebook Post 3.jpg

Take heart on floorplans. I found on my 1940 at least from front of back seat to kickup in front Super/Roadmaster Cpe&4 Dr same floor pan. Most likely '41 same interchange. You can bet the bean counters were active in that cost saving decision! Best of Luck? Looks like you have your phun cut out for you! Oh wait, no that's right!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Take heart on floorplans. I found on my 1940 at least from front of back seat to kickup in front Super/Roadmaster Cpe&4 Dr same floor pan. Most likely '41 same interchange. You can bet the bean counters were active in that cost saving decision! Best of Luck? Looks like you have your phun cut out for you! Oh wait, no that's right!

Hi, I'm gathering from your words that you think I still need to purchase the floor pans. That all came with the car along with new sill panels. It was provided by Doug Seybold (made I assume by Dan Kemppanian).

• Thanks 1

THE ROADMASTER'S STORY – if only cars could speak!

(posted on my Facebook page 'Forty One Buick Roadmaster Build' on Feb 22nd, 2023)

My 1941 Roadmaster has had a checkered history I have discovered. It would have started life as a luxurious car as it was virtually top of the line and cost 1.4 times the average American wage. I can only imagine who might have purchased it – perhaps some business owner or even movie-star? We will never know unfortunately.

However, within 30 years (1970s) the car appeared virtually worn out due to neglect it seems. My other 1941 Buick (Special Business Coupe) however, is the bottom of the line and is in pristine condition and drives beautifully – only having had a repaint after an accident in 1990 and an engine rebuild sometime after. Just like people, the life of a car can take a very different direction when treated poorly and left to fend for themselves. It would be very interesting to know the story but this information is unlikely to surface. If only cars could tell their story.

In 1978 Bernie Fritshaw from Lincoln, Ontario (in Canada near Niagara Falls) purchased the car to restore from someone in Boonton, New Jersey (USA) near New York City. Bernie had just sold his 1941 Roadmaster Convertible Sedan (4-door) with 14,000 original miles but “thought a 2-door convertible would be nicer”. Bernie has provided me with a couple of photos of the car (roof up) in the condition he purchased it.

The car was drive-able but not roadworthy, and it is likely that it had not been on the road for many years before that. A poor restoration had been started with the paint stripped and very poor upholstery on the front seat. Bernie was also told the motor had been rebuilt. The motor had quite a bit of chrome added to the motor but these cars left the factory new with none of that. Bernie believes all this work was done in the early 1970’s.

In a recent email to me, Bernie said “at that time (of purchase), I was working full time, and doing restoration for other people, here at home. The car sat for a few years, and in approx. 1985 we took it apart, to begin the restoration which never progressed very far, as I have a problem - thinking I must own every antique car that I find.  I've owned 270 collector cars; and restored about 50 for other people, and 20 for myself.  All the while, gathering better parts to do this 1941.  I finally decided it will never get done, so hung it together, advertised it for sale, and Jeff (Perth, WA) bought it (2014). He had me remove all the chrome and sent it out to be re-plated, before sending it to Australia.”

Bernie continues “I now only own 4 Buicks;

• 1968 Electra Convertible (driver)

• 1953 Super Wood Wagon

• 1931 90-Series 7-Passenger Touring, (I'm just finishing the restoration on it)

• 1931 90-Series Victoria.”

The Australian owner Jeff (from Perth) who I purchased the car from, decided to sell the car due to ill-health (he owns 3 other extremely rare American cars). The car got my attention quickly. Due to owning my green 1941 Special Coupe for 2-years, I had learnt a large amount about the ultimate 1941 Buick – a Roadmaster Convertible Coupe. To cut a long story short, I bought the car 7-years after Jeff imported it.

In summary, my 82-year-old Roadmaster project has not been on the road for at least 50 years, and Bernie Fritshaw’s ownership of the car spanned 36 years. I wish to give credit to Bernie for keeping the car safe during this period even though eventually he realised he would not be able to carry out the restoration. Thanks also to Jeff (Perth, Western Australia) who had the car for 8 years.

Cheers to Bernie & Jeff!

Below: My 1941 Buick Roadmaster Model 76C in 1978 soon after Bernie Fritshaw purchased the car.

1978-2015 #1.jpg

Below: My 1941 Buick Roadmaster Model 76C in 1978 soon after Bernie Fritshaw purchased the car.

1978-2015 #2.jpg

Below: Bernie Fritshaw with his wife Gail and son Bernie Jr. in 2015 with his 58,000 mile 1941 Buick Roadmaster Convertible Sedan (4-door) Model 71C. Only 326 of these were made. He has since sold the car.

Bernie & Gail Fritshaw 2013 cropped.jpg

Below: Bernie sitting in his very rare 1947 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. Just 300 were made. He restored this car, but has since sold it.

1947 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon 2018.jpg

Below: Bernie with his 1948 Buick Roadmaster Convertible that he restored. He has since sold this car.

48Buick-on-lawn-w-Bern.JPG

Below: Bernie in his 1958 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that he completely restored and loaded with almost every factory option available.

1958 Pontiac Bonneville.jpg

Below: Bernie Fritshaw with wife Gail & son Bernie Jr. in 1967 with his then 14,000 mile 1941 Buick Convertible Sedan (4-door) Model 71C. Only 326 of these were made.

Bernie & Gail Fritshaw 1967.jpg

Below: Bernie's current 'driver' car (used regularly), a 1968 Buick Electra Convertible.

Bernie's 1968 Buick Electra Driver.JPG

Below: Bernie's 1931 McLaughlin (Canadian built) Buick. The restoration on this car is almost complete.

1931 Mclaughlin Buick w Steve & Liz 2015.JPG

Below:My 1941 Buick Roadmaster Convertible being loaded up in Canada ready for her voyage to Perth in 2014 (she arrived in 2015). Every inch of room was used to store the enormous amount of parts with the car (which were included with my purchase in Dec 2022).

Loading Car in Canada 6.JPG

Below: My 1941 Roadmaster after traveling 2,700km from Perth in an enormous fully-enclosed 6-car transporter to near my home, then unloaded and placed on this flat-bed tow truck, before being taken to my home. The transporter was far too large to enter our street.

Collection 3.jpg

Edited by Grant Z
Corrections to paragraphs & text with photos. (see edit history)
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Grant Z said:

Hi, I'm gathering from your words that you think I still need to purchase the floor pans. That all came with the car along with new sill panels. It was provided by Doug Seybold (made I assume by Dan Kemppanian).

It's all good! Not knowing the history of your car till now, I was trying to let you know some parts are available. From what your displaying it looks like you made a wise purchase. Anxious to follow progress! THANX for posting!

• Like 1

THE CHROME - One of the selling points of this Roadmaster was that all the die-cast pieces on the car had been re-chromed at great expense (US$18,000) by Cambridge Custom Chrome in Ontario Canada. I was told this company do a lot of chrome work for customers who enter cars in the America’s most prestigious car show - ‘the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance’ held on Pebble Beach Golf Course in California.

Die-cast pieces are very difficult to prepare for re-chroming due to imperfections & pitting in the casting. The amount of time to repair the material makes this work particularly expensive.

It has been nagging me for sometime that I had better unwrap & inspect these chrome pieces which had been wrapped up since they were plated in 2014 so I was going to be the first person to see them in 8-9 years. What if they had sweated & blistered? I was starting to sweat & blister just thinking about this horrible possibility.I decided not to begin removal of the engine & trans just yet, instead I must put my mind at rest regarding the quality of the chrome pieces.

Over this last 2 days I unwrapped all 44 pieces of the re-chromed die-cast, from the 3-piece grill to the radio/speaker/dash control console, tail-light housings, many small dash pieces plus numerous external decorative pieces. They had each been wrapped superbly with protection in mind - I need not have worried myself.

I was very pleased that every single piece had been re-chromed to a world-class standard. My friend & neighbor Allan Burgan who has restored many beautiful vintage & classic motorcycles and been involved in several aspects of motoring throughout his working life, came over to inspect the pieces and assured me that chrome doesn’t get any better than what was laid out in front of us.

I’m grateful to the previous owner Jeff (in Perth) and Bernie Fritshaw (previous owner to Jeff, in Ontario) for organising this work to be done. I’m one very happy boy!

Below - the first piece unwrapped was the left-hand side of the grill
No photo description available.

Below - the grill & the radio/speaker/switch panel

Below - the entire 44 pieces of chromed die-cast (there are 17 small components in the plastic bag at bottom (dash switches & roof latches).

May be an image of text that says 'Radio, Speaker & Switch Control Console'

May be an image of text that says 'Light & Surround Rear Turn-signal Brake Window Rear Frame'

May be an image of text that says 'Horn Ring Fender Skirt Spear Front Turn Signal Fender Holder Fender Fender Side Spear Hood Opener'

May be an image of text that says 'Trunk (boot) Handle Base Rear Window Frame'

May be an image of saddle-stitched leather, wrist watch and text that says 'ER EO Trunk Emblem Emblem (boot) Base Lid'

May be an image of text that says 'Grill Centre Piece'

May be an image of cosmetics and text that says 'Spear Hinges Side Trunk (boot) Fender Front Emblem (bonnet) Hood'

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grant Z said:

I was starting to sweat & blister just thinking about this horrible possibility.

Haha -- I would also have unpacked that chrome immediately.  It must have been like Christmas morning!  It looks fabulous and will provide just the kind of encouragement you will need to get you through the more difficult stages of the restoration. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, neil morse said:

Haha -- I would also have unpacked that chrome immediately.  It must have been like Christmas morning!  It looks fabulous and will provide just the kind of encouragement you will need to get you through the more difficult stages of the restoration. 

Thanks Neil for your encouragement. The photos don't do the chrome justice. It's amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

The Chrome!

One of the selling points of this Roadmaster was that all the die-cast pieces on the car had been re-chromed at great expense (US$18,000) by Cambridge Custom Chrome in Ontario Canada. I was told this company do a lot of chrome work for customers who enter cars in the America’s most prestigious car show - ‘Pebble Beach Concours d‘Elegance’ held on Pebble Beach Golf Course in California.

Die-cast pieces are very difficult to prepare for re-chroming due to imperfections & pitting in the casting. The amount of time to repair the material makes this work particularly expensive.

It has been nagging me for a while that I had better unwrap & inspect these chrome pieces which had been wrapped up since they were plated in 2014 so I was going to be the first person to see them in 8-9 years. What if they had sweated & blistered? I was starting to sweat & blister just thinking about this horrible possibility, so I decided not to begin removal of the engine & trans just yet, instead I must put my mind at rest regarding the quality of the chrome pieces.

Over this last 2 days I unwrapped all 44 pieces of the re-chromed die-cast, from the 3-piece grill to the radio/speaker/dash control console, tail-light housings, many small dash pieces plus numerous external decorative pieces. They had each been wrapped superbly with protection in mind - I need not have worried myself.

To my delight every single piece had been re-chromed to a world-class standard. My friend & neighbour Allan Burgan who has restored many beautiful vintage & classic motorcycles and been involved in several aspects of motoring throughout his working life including working for Shannons Classic Car Insurance (here in Australia) as a vintage motorcycle specialist, came over to inspect the pieces and assured me that chrome doesn’t get any better than what was laid out in front of us. He added that is work would cost AU$40,000 if I wanted to have it done here, but you could probably not find any body to carry out the work to this standard. A few days ago, someone who knows Bernie Fritshaw (in Canada) said to me Cambridge Custom Chrome are the best in North American.

I’m grateful to the previous owner Jeff (in Perth) and Bernie Fritshaw (previous owner to Jeff, in Ontario) for organising this work to be done. I’m one very happy boy!

image.png.6171aa907120dbf5434dc6c88e45f7a9.pngimage.png.6bc191a868d089e2345acfc00af0e6ca.png

Edited by Grant Z (see edit history)
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Grant Z said:

The Chrome!

One of the selling points of this Roadmaster was that all the die-cast pieces on the car had been re-chromed at great expense (US$18,000) by Cambridge Custom Chrome in Ontario Canada. I was told this company do a lot of chrome work for customers who enter cars in the America’s most prestigious car show - ‘Pebble Beach Concours d‘Elegance’ held on Pebble Beach Golf Course in California.

Thanks for the link to that rechroming outfit.  Great for me that its here in Canada, and don't have to deal with customs and cross-border shipping.

Craig