H280 Boom & Jiffy Reef

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Below is the owners manual illustration for the boom & jiffy reef.

There appears to be a couple of blocks in there. It is open on the end that will allow dirty and debris in there. My question is, how the heck do you inside the boom to clean and lubricate those important moving parts?

Thx a million for all your wisdom.

Aug 19, 2021

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
According to your diagram, the reefing line has no purchase. It's just single line with a block at each end or the boom. To clean it you'd only need to squirt the cleaner and lubricant right on the blocks... maybe a thin straw type extension on the nozzle. If you want to wash or change out the line, that should be easy enough.

The outhaul, of course, is a different story with its internal purchase, so it's good you have instructions available.

On my 45 year old boat, the outhaul's biggest drag is not the interior tackle, but the slot for the clew slider. Therefore, I lubricate the track yearly. For the interior wire tackle I try to squirt the dry lubricant on the small blocks through couple different openings... but, honestly, I've only done that maybe once every 5 or 6 years as I have never had issues with it freezing up. When I converted to a loose foot main many years ago, I inserted a second slug at the clew, thinking it would be safer and stronger. It was easy to simply lash the two slugs together and with the yearly track maintenance it has always moved nicely.

This year I bite the bullet and replace the control line... fortunately the Catalina manual has a diagram and instructions on how to do that. It just requires a little research and planning to get it right.

It'd really be cool if you uploaded a few pics of the job when you're finished. I, for one, would be interested in seeing how you faired. Thanks, and good luck on the project.

Aug 21, 2019
Hunter Vision 32 Shilshole Bay Marina
Hi there! I remember coming across this blog post when I first bought my 89 Vision 32. I was curious how the heck you get inside the boom to service those shuttle blocks. The poster of said blog drilled out the rivets on the boom end caps, which can be replaced with a through-bolting solution, or maybe even tapping the holes. Please post some photos if you can - I've been wanting to tackle this job since I bought the boat, but other items on "THE LIST" have so far taken priority. Good luck!

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Funny. I just replaced all my lines on my boom on my new to me 280. The boom is a zspar boom. I was missing the outhaul line and the number 2 reef line. Very easy to do. You have to remove the end cap that attaches to the mast. You'll have to drill out the three rivets. As soon as that is off you'll have access to the outhaul blocks. Follow the diagram to feed the new lines. The reef lines are straight through. No blocks. Once all done just re-rivet the cap back on with aluminium rivets. And yes, I had two birds nests in there.

Aug 19, 2021
Funny. I just replaced all my lines on my boom on my new to me 280. The boom is a zspar boom. I was missing the outhaul line and the number 2 reef line. Very easy to do. You have to remove the end cap that attaches to the mast. You'll have to drill out the three rivets. As soon as that is off you'll have access to the outhaul blocks. Follow the diagram to feed the new lines. The reef lines are straight through. No blocks. Once all done just re-rivet the cap back on with aluminium rivets. And yes, I had two birds nests in there.
Thank you