BenQ GW2760HS

Yes the flicker free aspect is of course the main difference. The other bits are just nice bonuses.

I posted one GW2760HS for auction on fleebay if anyone is interested, I ordered two and will be keeping one :D
No dead pixels or back light bleed.

BenQ has changed the specifications for GW2760HM on the web pages. Its now PWM-free and 3000:1 contrast. Looks like they switched out the PCB, panel and kept the bezel and stand. So basically, its now a slightly cheaper non-slim variant of the HS.

Unfortunately the brightness specs are the same. Would have been nice if they used a weaker backlight. Less brightness. 4 LED strips instead 6. They did this with the GW2750HE model. Maybe there will be a GW2760HE model sometime later. Would have been better if they went with it for this one, though. Since they already have the HS variant for those who want more brightness.

Mind that there are plenty of old revisions of the GW2760HM out there since its been available at least 6 month already, before the switch. The chance of getting the old revision is probably high. Of course there are ways to figure out beforehand since BenQ must have updated the product code.

Hi guys, long time lurker and I finally received my 2760HS yesterday :)

So far I'm very impressed, no light bleeding, barely any flickering(I'm extremely sensitive to it), no PWM induced headaches, no dead pixels, no dirty screen effect, a stunning pop effect in movies, yay! :eek:

It's been quite a PITA to get my GTX660 to output 0-255 so don't give up.

I will try to get its DCR to behave but that might be impossible as it doesn't seem to be active in "user mode" and I will calibrate using Argyll and HCFR so I do need the ability to input custom R/G/B values and gamma curve.

Also, the user manual claims that there is a "low blue light" mode but it's not in the list....not that I care but I might not have the latest firmware, are these available for download? Apparently not.. Mine was manufactured in April 2013.

I've checked its service menu and it's using the same AMVA panel as that UK review website so that's good. It also proved that I got a brand new unit :cool:

All this said, I'll come back with hard figures and more thorough impressions once fully calibrated.

While I'm at it, here are some 72.000Hz timings that work wonderfully with Reclock:

Would anyone have 75Hz artifacts-free timings please? I've tried those in the nvidia drivers, they do work but I get flashing white pixels at the very top and/or bottom randomly(talk about overclocking!): http://abload.de/img/resc4ucq.png

And the million dollar question will be: how/where can I learn how to compute those magical timings please? A google search didn't help and I'd really like to understand the logic behind them :eek:

Here are my timings:
cgbpgnwtvu19t4vs9.png

You may be able to get 82hz with further tweaking.
Beyond that there are white lines at the top.
I'm surprised that you could raise the pixel clock over 165Mhz ???

Apparently the advanced video settings of the 2760HS are only available with the HDMI input so there's little chance I could go over 165Mhz........I will try to plug a DVB-T tuner to its DVI input but I think I'll have to buy an HDMI switch.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the "blue light mode" is a pointless setting feature. You can achieve exactly the same effect by calibrating colors to a warmer color. By reducing the blue component.

As for the overclocking: Seems like the HS doesent handle it as well as the (old) HM. Although back porch set to 20 usually works and gives a little bit more bandwidth. You could try that.

I'm pretty sure the "blue light mode" is a pointless setting feature. You can achieve exactly the same effect by calibrating colors to a warmer color. By reducing the blue component..

Yep, all I care for is D65 with a BT1886 gamma curve but I find it strange that the user manual would advertize a blue colorimetry mode that simply isn't in the list.....especially when they have new models having it as part of their sales pitch: http://pcmonitors.info/forum/topic/new-monitors-benq

I might not have the latest firmware :eek:

Anyway, for once a manufacturer didn't lie: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl702a/
The Flicker-free technology eliminates flickering at all brightness levels and effectively reducing eye fatigue. Conventional LCD screens flicks 200 times per second. Your eyes may not see flickers, but can certainly feel them. Free your eyes from flickers by switching to Flicker-free Monitors and let your eyes do less work.
I can certainly confirm that after a few days of watching the 2760HS, my sight has greatly improved...I use it +10H/day and when I'm outside watching at a far distance my brain is able to focus much faster and I do see a much clearer picture(I do wear -4 contact lenses).

It's too bad they didn't use a 5K:1 AMVA panel but I guess AUO wanna milk the cow and get rid of their 3K:1 panels first, and also their response time might very well not be nearly as good: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Another concern of mine was the AG as I really hate the grainy dirty look of TN panels, I don't see the point of 1080p if their AG turns in it into this blurry grainy mess........OTOH Sammy TV's are so glossy that you can see yourself in them and they become completely unmanageable when there's sunshine in the room. The worst case scenario being the S2440L, OMG.....there is a high price to pay for perfect sharpness, but I got a lemon with 4 dead pixels OOTB, a very crappy panel where black was light gray(and its PWM was killing my eyes anyway ^^)

The 2760HS AG really seems like a perfectly acceptable compromise to me as it doesn't look overly grainy and yet doesn't double as a mirror either, gg BenQ :cool:

Anyway, I'm thorougly impressed that someone finally made a flat screen I'd like as I certainly was losing hope after trying a dozen LCD screens ranging from $250 to $1300.

Of course it suffers from the VA gamma shift and notorious black "glow" but hey, affordable OLED is around the corner so it's only gonna be a few years before we can forget about that LCD joke. Until then, the 2760HS and its 3 years on-site warranty will do nicely
icon14.gif

BTW, the PRAD review should go public today: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-benq-gw2760hs-summary.html?c=1&id=718

As for the overclocking: Seems like the HS doesent handle it as well as the (old) HM. Although back porch set to 20 usually works and gives a little bit more bandwidth. You could try that.

I'm afraid things are more complicated than that as I crashed my nvidia GPU several times after trying funky random timings.......there are rules to those figures but I can't find anything explaining how they work :(

Yeh. Most probably firmware.

The 3000:1 contrast panels are actually is the new improved version. They are better when it comes to viewing angles, contrast shift etc (8 domain vs 4 domain). They do this while _improving_ response times. So its a real feat. Furthermore the practical measured contrast in reviews arent all that much lower than the 5000:1 panels measured values. Something like 1000:1 difference.

Those timings are old CRT stuff, I believe. Noone knows how they work. :p We know that most LCD monitors doesent need them, though.
Maybe ToastyX have some info on the topic. Try contacting him perhaps? .. or post in that monitor overclocking thread.

Well, the old 2760HM advertized 5K:1 and on that link you can clearly see 5K:1 27" AMVA panels: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Surely, their native contrast figure is a best case scenario with the backlight set to the max and DRC fully engaged....but you can still see that the 5K:1 2760HM always scores a better measured CR than the 3K:1 HS.

I'll come back with calibration logs soon.

OK thanks for the tips, I'll look into them as I'd really like to find an artifacts-free 75Hz :eek:

Finally: http://translate.google.com/transla...ew/monitore/test/2013/test-benq-gw2760hs.html :)

Last edited:
Well, the old 2760HM advertized 5K:1 and on that link you can clearly see 5K:1 27" AMVA panels: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Surely, their native contrast figure is a best case scenario with the backlight set to the max and DRC fully engaged....but you can still see that the 5K:1 2760HM always scores a better measured CR than the 3K:1 HS.
Backlight doesent have to be set to max for maxed out CR. You can clearly see that in the contrast graphs in Prad's and TFTCentral's reviews. Max on all color components will help a little, however. But most people want to sacrifice some contrast for color accuracy.

And of course, you are right. The previous 4 domain panels have higher CR. What I meant was that the difference isnt usually more than 1000:1. Not as much as 2000:1 as the specs would say.
TFTCentral review of GW2750HM: 3398:1
TFTCentral review of GW2760HS: 2351:1
Prad review of GW2760HM: 4800:1
Prad review of GW2760HS: 3700:1

I for one would gladly sacrifice that contrast for improvement in all other areas. If you look at that panel part listing that you linked then you see an even older 3000:1 version that is rated at 25 ms. That one is also 8-domain. Predates the 5000:1 panels by a year or two. So you see the progression there? They went from 8-domain to 4-domain to get more speed. Then they managed to do 8-domain with the same or even better (according to review measurements) response time than the 4-domain.

I'll come back with calibration logs soon.
Please do!

so that's my service menu(I took this opportunity to disable the annoying logo):

same specs as that UK review site: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_gw2760s/factory.JPG

OK interesting, so they are forced to lower the panel native CR if they want to increase its response time....I guess Sharp still have the edge with their UV²A panels: http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/philips-40pfl5507h-p12906/test.html

true measured d5K:1 native CR and <8ms response time, but the problem is that Sharp only guarantee those panels on >40" TV's as it seems rather clear that the demand for high contrast smaller panels just isn't there.....computer screens go TN and TV's go cheap VA(2K:1 if you're lucky) or crappy IPS and at the "smart TV" game, Sammy seem to lead the market anyway and Sharp simply sell Philips OEM with GS panels.......also 99% of TV buyers care more about having the thinest TV in town that does wifi, facebook and all that, game at which Philips lags behind Sammy by a long shot.

Do you have any more links about that 4/8 domain AMVA matter please?

Sweet, I'll check it out :)

Anyway, I'm sending mine back as DOA for an exchange as it's got a slightly lighter 1.5cm large horizontal band right in the center when I display a RGB 142/91/58 test pattern:

I am so fed up with those sloppy panels, I don't think the problem comes from the backlight this time as this doesn't show on plain R/G/B patterns.

Last edited:
Amazon sells this for the US. The seller is from Germany. Will the product take the USA 120V 60Hz? Germany uses 230V 50 Hz.

Mind that there are plenty of old revisions of the GW2760HM out there since its been available at least 6 month already, before the switch. The chance of getting the old revision is probably high. Of course there are ways to figure out beforehand since BenQ must have updated the product code.
Got confirmation from two sources. New model number will be 9H.L9LLA.DBE . For those who want even more minimal setup there is GW2760. Also flicker free. Although I dont think they will be available any sooner than the EW2740L which are also flicker free and will probably be using a similar panel as the HS.

righty, got my replacement :)

this time the horizontal bar is slightly darker(instead of slighty lighter), but the icing on the cake is that there's a far lighter patch that's around 6 pixels wide(it shows even on a pure white test pattern): http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/2lt9gho7mbr203ggv2vu8a2iyq8byoh1/

I'm through with BenQ, too bad it was a great screen and so amazingly easy on the eyes..never been too lucky at lottery anyway and I have never seen a non-fubar -in one way or another- monitor from this company.

Also, the grainy aspect of the AG is a bit annoying, I think I actually prefer a non-pearly semi-glossy finish...especially as I mostly watch movies in a pitch black room.

I'm surprised that you could raise the pixel clock over 165Mhz ???

Apparently the advanced video settings of the 2760HS are only available with the HDMI input so there's little chance I could go over 165Mhz........I will try to plug a DVB-T tuner to its DVI input but I think I'll have to buy an HDMI switch.
I'm using a pixel clock patcher to lift these artificial limits
It works for HDMI as well
Keep in mind I tested a HM though

Right, but 165Mhz is the limit for SL-DVI....anything over this requires a DL-DVI link, so I'm really surprised that it woulda worked. I'm not sure about the HDMI versions equivalents but still, >165Mhz support is very surprising on a 60Hz 1080p monitor.

What's a pixel clock patcher BTW?

I got an email that mine is ready for pickup so i'll get on my way home.

We will see how much have chanceg in MVA since 2007 ;)

Got it:
- no bad pixels,
- backlight uniformity seems ok without glow
- gradients pass lagom test.
- Color crush is reduced compared to older panels.
- Motion at medium overdrive setting is minimally better than on 2007 MVAs but no overdrive artifacts compared to old one

Is there a difference between Benq GW2760HS and Benq GW2760 ?!
Except the HDMI input ..
Thank you

I bought BenQ GW2760HS, i find it a very good monitor, nice image quality, pretty good for gaming too.
But i don't understand why i can't acces the menu Dynamic Contrast and Senseeye Demo.
My monitor is hoocked up to my PC, via HDMI.
Any ideas ?
Thank you

I got my second GW2760HS yesterday. Apparently it's a newer revision with the low blue light gimmick settings. The colors look a bit different with the same settings, but perhaps it's because the older one is using hdmi-dvi cable and this new one is dvi. The gamma shift also seems to have improved. Overall this new unit is a slight improvement over the older revision.

I got my second GW2760HS yesterday. Apparently it's a newer revision with the low blue light gimmick settings. The colors look a bit different with the same settings, but perhaps it's because the older one is using hdmi-dvi cable and this new one is dvi. The gamma shift also seems to have improved. Overall this new unit is a slight improvement over the older revision.
Interesting. Would you mind testing if this newer revision is able to dim lower than the older? Like setting them both to 0 brightness and see if there is a noticeable difference?

Interesting. Would you mind testing if this newer revision is able to dim lower than the older? Like setting them both to 0 brightness and see if there is a noticeable difference?

No noticeable difference in minimum brightness. I keep it at 30 and that's low enough for my use.

No noticeable difference in minimum brightness. I keep it at 30 and that's low enough for my use.
Thanks! 30 is probably around normal but for sensitive people these monitors are a bit too bright at lowest setting. BenQ seems to have addressed this in EW2740L (pcmonitors.info review) and I wanted to know if they updated the GW2760HS also. But I guess one have to go for the EW. Or Samsung S27C750P if one can "stand" the stand.

Thanks! 30 is probably around normal but for sensitive people these monitors are a bit too bright at lowest setting. BenQ seems to have addressed this in EW2740L (pcmonitors.info review) and I wanted to know if they updated the GW2760HS also. But I guess one have to go for the EW. Or Samsung S27C750P if one can "stand" the stand.

The EW would be the dream 27' 1080p VA monitor if it weren't for the very noticeable "red smearing" and overshoot issues as reported by pcmonitors. And honestly, Benq really need to get their shit together when it comes to those AMA settings. They're just horrible in EVERY single monitor they released recently.

Anyone helps me,please ?
Could i use " Custom Resolution Utility " ?
Please help me. Thanks

Try it - someone in this thread mentioned they get 72 and i know mine can run at least 66 without touching timings.

I did but after i set to 72 Hz, i can't read anything. Everything looks blurry.

I was able to get 75 Hz, after i tried more times, but some people says that 75 Hz are not good for the eyes. Is that true ? Does 75 Hz affect the eyes ?
Thank you

I was able to get 75 Hz, after i tried more times, but some people says that 75 Hz are not good for the eyes. Is that true ? Does 75 Hz affect the eyes ?
Thank you
Thats a misunderstood rumor. 75hz problems used to be relevant for some types of CRT monitors. Even so, 75hz was always better than 60hz for eyes/brain.

Let me predict your friends next comment: "It will harm your monitor." .. Not likely. Electronics usually works or it doesent work. There is no "harm" .. there is no boosted voltage somewhere like with overclocking motherboard stuff. Its just a setting.

Thanks.
But it's strange : the colors changed too. Very very little, but they did.
I followed some link and i modified some values ( like Front porch / back porch / sync width ) with the tool
Custom Resolution Utility.
I wish the colors should be the same.
Any idea ?

Back