2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

COMPETITION ORANGE--available for how long?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/14, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
COMPETITION ORANGE--available for how long?

Historically, this color seems to only show up for one model year at a time...do you think that trend will continue?

Does anyone else want one?

Personally, I'm very likely going to take the plunge on an S550...but I'm sure If I'm ready to let go of my beloved S197 quite yet...on the other hand, I'm wondering if this means I'll miss out on Competition orange!

Oh, "first world problems!"

Thoughts?
Old 1/6/14, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I too would like an answer to this. I figured that it is time to make a departure from white, so i am seriously considering Competition Orange. My issue is ill not be purchasing until MY16, so this unique color may be gone by then. I doubt it will show up on the used market either.
Old 1/6/14, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think if the color is popular it will probably be around for a couple years at least, obviously it was pretty popular for the 1 year run on the boss, and i think it will fit this body very well. orange track pack GT with those blacked out wheels is going to be quite a looker for those with the guts to daily drive it. if no one buys it then its probably going to ride off into the sunset with... sunset gold
Old 1/6/14, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
i think if the color is popular it will probably be around for a couple years at least, obviously it was pretty popular for the 1 year run on the boss, and i think it will fit this body very well. orange track pack GT with those blacked out wheels is going to be quite a looker for those with the guts to daily drive it. if no one buys it then its probably going to ride off into the sunset with... sunset gold
With standard colors, I think you'd be right on. If it sells, they'll keep it around. Unfortunately, this has all the hallmarks of being an "impact color." This is a hue which we frequently see on first model year run of new cars, designed to catch the eye of people who might not notice a car in traffic. Take a look at the 2013 Dodge Dart in "Header Orange" or "Citrus Peel"-- they known **** well that not many people are going to want one but it's eye catching and unusual so it raises consciousness of the model.

Old 1/6/14, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope they keep it around. I hopefully will be in the market late MY 15 early MY 16. I wanted comp org on my 12 but the boss was a little out of my price range.
Old 1/6/14, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
With standard colors, I think you'd be right on. If it sells, they'll keep it around. Unfortunately, this has all the hallmarks of being an "impact color." This is a hue which we frequently see on first model year run of new cars, designed to catch the eye of people who might not notice a car in traffic. Take a look at the 2013 Dodge Dart in "Header Orange" or "Citrus Peel"-- they known **** well that not many people are going to want one but it's eye catching and unusual so it raises consciousness of the model.
I think that's entirely possible as well, although with the mustang an "impact color" has more of a chance to stick around more than one year as it is an "impact vehicle". especially with one of the key design themes "fist breaking through" that sounds like impact!! haha.
at least you will have the advantage of this site and be able to see the 2016 order guide before the 2015 ends production and grab one of the last '15s if the color is going to go away potentially with a few clearance rebates attached!
Hopefully someone in the know will share info as soon as it becomes available.
Old 1/6/14, 02:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
CO is one of my favorites, i found these renderings...
Attached Thumbnails COMPETITION ORANGE--available for how long?-g.jpg   COMPETITION ORANGE--available for how long?-2015extr-co.jpg  
Old 1/6/14, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chorse
CO is one of my favorites, i found these renderings...
I think comp orange is going to look outstanding with the black wheels from the 2015 track pack like the LA car had on it.
Old 1/6/14, 03:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are we worrying about color runs when we still don't know all the details about the car? Putting the cart before th horse a bit, aren't we?
Old 1/6/14, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Why are we worrying about color runs when we still don't know all the details about the car? Putting the cart before th horse a bit, aren't we?
Not really. Planning for the future is always prudent. We are merely having a discussion. Other than price (my determining factor to purchase) I know all I need to about this car. It doesn't matter how good it drives if I cannot afford it.
Old 1/6/14, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Because it's fun? Why do we talk about these cars at all?

Honestly, I'm in the planning stage so it's worthwhile for me to talk about it now... I suspect others are in the same boat.

Ford has said that it would be "late 2014" that the Mustang would be available. If I'm going to buy one, my best bet is to sell my 2011 in the spring when its resale value peaks...and go Mustang-less for the whole summer...which is something I'd prefer not to do.

I presume that if I waited until next Spring, they would still be selling Competition Orange '15 models...but it's hard to know!
Old 1/6/14, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I too am concerned. We figured our budget and probably won't be able to order one till maybe spring 2015 . Since I have an orange boss I would like to get the same color. Does anyone know what might be the production end date if they start late aug 2014 ? Want to try and buy new so I can keep it the way I want it.
Old 1/7/14, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Old 1/7/14, 08:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LQQK
I see what you did there.

As far as colors go, historically, colors like oranges and yellows have a short shelf life. The only way to change this is to buy more so they have a business case to keep them.
Old 1/7/14, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

As far as colors go, historically, colors like oranges and yellows have a short shelf life. The only way to change this is to buy more so they have a business case to keep them.

I have every intention of doing exactly this.
Sadly, you're right on about the short shelf life.
Old 1/9/14, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

Color availability is very important to me when I place an order for a car. I too am concerned Competition Orange will not be available when I am ready to order a new Mustang. I am just thankful the Race Red color looks orange enough to pass as an orange.
Old 1/10/14, 02:20 AM
V6 Member

CO is a very nice color. However, it seems to me the interior colors are somewhat limited when the car's outside color is CO. I would think you must have a dark interior or an interior with some kind of orange blended in with dark grey or black. Someone please feel free to enlighten me.
Old 1/10/14, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kwpony
CO is a very nice color. However, it seems to me the interior colors are somewhat limited when the car's outside color is CO. I would think you must have a dark interior or an interior with some kind of orange blended in with dark grey or black. Someone please feel free to enlighten me.
I agree here. Sometimes the option sheet doesn't allow for certain color combinations (I guess they're worried about residual value metrics) but in the interest of good taste, you're right. You'd really be wise to go with a dark interior color.

On the other hand, a red interior might be really stunning with orange paint (I wouldn't want to own it but still...) and a tan interior might be passable too.

I can't wait to play around with the configuration tool.

Likely if/when I buy mine, it will be a CO car with the Track Package and nothing else...so I suspect I'll be limited to black interior anyway.

Last edited by MRGTX; 1/10/14 at 08:18 AM.
Old 1/10/14, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't wait to play around with the configuration tool.

Wondering when they'll make this available.
Old 1/11/14, 01:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Would have been kinda cool if Ford had made the original first year colors for the 2015.

Cascade Green
Caspian Blue
Chantilly Beige
Dynasty Green
Guardsman Blue
Pagoda Green
Phoenician Yellow
Poppy Red
Prairie Bronze
Rangoon Red
Raven Black
Silversmoke Gray
Skylight Blue
Sunlight Yellow
Twilight Turquoise
Vintage Burgundy
Wimbledon White

Quick Reply: COMPETITION ORANGE--available for how long?