Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

Just bought a 2012 Jaguar XKR-S Convertible.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Matt in Houston will become famous soon enoughMatt in Houston will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Just bought a 2012 Jaguar XKR-S Convertible.

Hello!

It's been a while since I posted on 6speed...I used to post in the Porsche forum when I had my 2006 Carrera S.

I recently picked up a used 2012 British Racing Green XKR-S convertible with about 6k miles on the clock, and it is a total BLAST. This car is seriously fast and although it is the heaviest car I have owned in a long time, it is suprisingly nimble for its size. Once you dial in the uber-adjustable sport seats, it's like wearing a glove...suddenly the car seems to shrink around you and you can do with it what you will.

Its also funny when I tell my friends that I traded in the Z06 and bought a Jaguar, they dont seem to grasp what I have done, buying an old man's car. So I just say come on over I'll take you for a ride. Well, when that ride is over, they are in shock about how awesome the car is. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it. The reaction from people experiencing this car is truly priceless.

Before I wrote this, I just came back from a short drive and, wow...Each time I take it out I can't believe how it feels to drive this car. You mash the gas and she is like a rocketship. The interior is first-class, not a stitch out of place. The exhaust sounds amazing and the tranny is much better than I thought it would be. Until now I have always had a manual for my sports car but the rev-matching sound of a double left-hand paddle blip is extremely addictive.

I have owned a highly modified Z06, Elise Supercharged (VF2), and a 997 Carrera S with Softronics ECU, X51 Headers and a set of sport cats...but this Jag is by far the best car I have ever owned....let alone driven. The refinement is off the charts.

For those on the fence, take a chance if you can find one. I am now a big Jaguar fan just based on my inital impressions of this car....When I was younger I always admired the XJ220....but being able to own a Jaguar XKR-S has become a dream come true.

Now if you are looking for a coupe there are a few better options if your main goal is performance oriented. But for the convertible, you will be hard pressed to find anything that can match it, let alone in the price range you can find a used 2012 for. Besides, with an exhaust that sounds this good...the convertible is the way to go..Its only 88 lbs heavier!

Highly, highly recommend.

Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Biglife will become famous soon enoughBiglife will become famous soon enough
Congrats brotha - she looks like a fun ride. Are you going to be modding it at all?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Matt in Houston will become famous soon enoughMatt in Houston will become famous soon enough
I might...There is a company here in Houston called Eurocharged, and they have a pulley/tune upgrade that bumps up the power an extra 85hp/90tq for only $1500. That would put this car in some very serious company from a roll.

It would be hard for me to pass that up, as that's a lot of bang for the buck!

Everything else I plan to keep stock, unless I can find an after market set of slightly longer paddle shifters...maybe made with a carbon fiber finish or brushed aluminium.

This car has one of the best stock exhaust systems I have ever heard....It is a very unique sound and has just the right amount of volume with no drone.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Ryan9095 is on a distinguished road
Looks great! I used to have a XKR... such a fun car! Enjoy!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:36 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
Congrats. Beautiful vehicle.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:34 PM
boostfiend is on a distinguished road
British Racing Green such a good choice!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Rahtok is on a distinguished road
It's nice to see others discovering what the 5.0L XKRs have in store. I highly approve of the color combo too! I have a 2010 XKR Convertible -- it's been great. Change the oil and keep fuel in it!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Yes this car is excellent.

I'll have a few carbons bits added soon, too. The hood vents and probably new carbon mirror covers. I also now have the U.K. spec clear reflectors instead of those amber ones you see in the pic. Looks much better now.

Dropping her off today for a wash/polish/wax....The dealer didn't do a very good job of washing her and she has swirl marks. So, I am taking the car to a detailer to have it all fixed.

You can see the new clear reflectors in the pic below...much better!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 06-14-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 AM
And the results are amazing!!!

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Sir_Ferrari is on a distinguished road
Congratulation! Your Jag looks stunning! The color combination is very beautiful and tasteful!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
I'm thinking about going the same route here soon. I want to get back into a cab, and having done the 997 Turbo Cab already, it's time for something new.

My father passed away in April this year and he had bought a new E-Type when we returned from Vietnam in '68 ... I think it would be a nice way to honor him.

I'm steadily watching the classifieds... if I find a good deal, I'm jumping on it. I really like the red.... would be ideal to get the green but I'm not seeing many of those popping up!

Keep posting updates!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Dr...

You will love it. Every time I take it for a drive it is very satisfying. The car is extremely solid and the interior is a nice place to be. I admit it is so different from anything I have ever owned before, and I really enjoy the once or twice a week I drive it in to work. Those are always good days!

I haven't found any real faults yet. I thought I might miss driving a stick, but the ZF transmission in this thing is awesome. I always drive it in dynamic mode + sport mode, and use the paddles. There have been no problems or issues so far with anything, everything is just pristine about this car. If you are looking for a nice and powerful GT, I think this is one of the best, and certainly for the price on the used market.

If I could change one thing, I guess it would be the tires. I am not a fan of the PZeros at all...and I plan to swap them with Pilot Super Sports as soon as I wear the rears down. And if I am being picky, visibility with the top up is quite restricted in the rear 1/4's, so changing lanes can be a bit of a "mystery"...but its not too bad, just blast past and then change lanes when you see them in your mirror.

I am still extremely happy with my decision...maybe even more so now than I was when I first bought the car. This is truly a great find and I am loving every minute I get to spend behind the wheel.

Best of luck to you, and I highly recommend this car if you want a smooth, fast, and gorgeous GT convertible.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I've been spending the last week googling XKR-S and watching/reading reviews etc on the car...

My biggest fear is the lack of a 6spd.... all my cars have been manual... even my Audi Avant (my kid car now) is a 6spd. I think I'm ready to give it (the auto) a roll and see what happens... the more I read about the car, the more I want one. I love 2+2 cars because it allows me to take my girls (age 4 and 6) for a spin when I feel like it, heck the Porsche got me through as a daily driver for almost a year after my divorce and I could not have done that with a plain 2 seater. (Ferrari, et all)

Anyhow, thanks again, I'm a tad jealous that you found a green one... I'll let you know how it goes.

Option 2 for me is getting a new Range Rover Sport as my main car and trading the Audi in for an older Porsche for fun. I'm going to the local Jag/Rover dealership tomorrow to snoop around a bit. Unfortunately the nearest XKR-S is 900 miles away at the moment.

Feel free to upload more pics, etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM
I need to take some high quality pics sometime like I did with my Porsche...When I do I will post them up. Here is a pic of me and my friend when we were at Houston Coffee and Cars. I randomly found this picture out on instagram.

I have a daily driver that is a stick right now, a Mini Cooper Clubman S. It is still fun to rip through the gears but it is painfully slow compared to the XKR-S and it is front wheel drive. I am considering getting rid of it for something larger...and you know what, getting a stick is not a priority anymore. I never thought I would say that, but I am that content with the paddles in the XKR-S.

I think you will be more than happy with the transmission in the Jag. You can tap the paddles and downshift it to a red light to your hearts content, all while getting to hear the amazing exhaust notes as the computer blips the throttle for you each time. It is highly addictive...lots of pops and some burbles too. In sport mode it will hold the gear for you as long as you want, which will lead to the inevitable bounce on the red line when you cant keep up with how fast the RPMs rise in first, second, or even third gear.

Whatever color you decide...be prepared for some attention. Especially if you get the Blue or Red. I think they all look good but green is the best for a proper British GT convertible!

Also I don't think I would dare use this car as my daily driver. It is capable, sure, but the thought of parking this thing and getting door dings...or having to drive in the rain a lot and re-wash it all the time (because it is BEAUTIFUL) would drive me insane. I would highly suggest you find a cheap daily driver if you buy this car. Never thought I would say it, but the new Hyundai's are nice, cheap, and reliable daily's with a long warranty.

Take care!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 08-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah, that does look good! The more pics, the better.

I still have my S4 Avant 6spd... so yeah, I can drive that whenever. I drive the Porsche most of the time regardless... I just enjoy it that much. I may keep the Jag more "protected" but I usually like to get out there and drive my toys as much as possible. I put about 10k miles a year on the Porsche, the Jag would probably only see slightly less.

If I can find a green one, trust me, I'll jump on it. Seems like there are a lot of blue and white ones out there... color is important but I kinda feel like you really can't go wrong with any of them.

I'll let you know how it goes... I'm hoping to find something in the next few months. Thanks for your help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2012 Jaguar XKR-S Convertible.