The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 PM

Default Connect Bose speakers to 'David' Schertler Amp

My regular amp broke down - the one I was using to drive my Bose speakers.

I don't want to buy a new amp just yet.

I am well aware how great an amp this is and the great sound quality I get from it, so please don't refer me to that ok.

I'm not an expert so I need help - my question is this: how do I connect the Bose speakers to the Schertler amp? OR is it even feasible?

Schertler David Amplifier
A compact combo with two bi-amped channels, spring reverb,
a host of practical connection options, and crisp, clear tones

301® Direct/Reflecting® speaker system -- speakers have separate amplifiers for the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the low frequency driver (woofer). The wires are of the 'frayed end' type so I'll have to modify them with 2 (L+R) Banana jacks.

Last edited by de_Genova; 08-15-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM

What you're suggesting is not ideal.

The Schertler is specifically modelled for instruments/mics, not general hifi use. It has two internal mono amplifiers summed into a bi-amped mono output stage that drives the two internal speakers.

The Bose 301 system is passive, ie, there aren't 'separate amplifiers' for bass/treble, nor do they accept a bi-amp output.

So you'd have have to pull the head from the combo (not easy and will invalidate your warranty), disconnect the internal speakers, then physically connect the output to the Bose cables, probably in a series/parallel configuration to match the impedance, maintaining the correct polarity throughout. Oh, and while you've got the head off, don't touch the smoothing caps on the power supply - they pack a huge belt, even with the power disconnected.

Should work, you'll get glorious mono. Or you could just plug whatever it is into the Schertler, it'll probably sound better.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
What you're suggesting is not ideal.

The Schertler is specifically modelled for instruments/mics, not general hifi use. It has two internal mono amplifiers summed into a bi-amped mono output stage that drives the two internal speakers.

The Bose 301 system is passive, ie, there aren't 'separate amplifiers' for bass/treble, nor do they accept a bi-amp output.

So you'd have have to pull the head from the combo (not easy and will invalidate your warranty), disconnect the internal speakers, then physically connect the output to the Bose cables, probably in a series/parallel configuration to match the impedance, maintaining the correct polarity throughout. Oh, and while you've got the head off, don't touch the smoothing caps on the power supply - they pack a huge belt, even with the power disconnected.

Should work, you'll get glorious mono. Or you could just plug whatever it is into the Schertler, it'll probably sound better.

Many thanks.......based on what you told me I went and bought 100 watt stand alone amp just to drive the bookend Bose's........301's

Last edited by de_Genova; 08-31-2015 at 08:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification