Avo twin panel valve tester

Actually the MK1 (twin panel ) is a pretty good simple design and when checked alongside later models it holds its head up , for the record the settings for the valve/tube bases never changed, I have an old AVO manual giving the settings for a very early model and they haven't changed.

I didn't realize that its gained status now and several I looked at had been sold (worldwide ).

No problem fitting adapters I had one and made up several for it many decades ago--use the IO8 base.

I now have a MK4 but it required a few months of work on it .

From what I remember ( correct me if I am wrong ) this is a Bulgin "special " made out of Bakelite .
Its 9 pin and so far --unless you buy an Avo 2 panel instrument for parts then I advise going to modern day Bulgin and buying their --TEN pin ( no 9 pins available ) modern version with socket.

Its over specification for your AVO as the 2 panel only goes up to 250 volts ( DC ) -

https://www.bulgin.com/products/pub/media/import/attachments/Web_Catalogue.pdf

Probably doesn't help much but the original part number of the plug is "AVT28". See: http://www.jacmusic.com/Tube-testers/AVO/VALVE-TESTER/AvoTwoPanelSockets.pdf

Actually the MK1 (twin panel )...

Actually either the "Valve Tester" if it still has the second panel without a roller selector switch, or the later "Valve Tester with Universal Panel" if the second panel is equiped with the roller selector switch.

AVO offered a third panel for the "Valve Tester" to keep up with the introduction of new valve types but soon chose for the roller selector switch.

"Valve Characteristic Meter Mk.I" is the name for the tester in the last attachment. It only started to be named Mk.I after the AVO Mk.II was introduced.

For some more info on AVO valve testers, see: AVO - Documents

Attachments

• AVO Valve Tester (article p. 261 Wireless World 1936-9-4).jpg
    AVO Valve Tester (article p. 261 Wireless World 1936-9-4).jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 149
  • AVO Valve Tester with Universal Panel (advert p. A1 Wireless World 1939-1-26) .jpg
    AVO Valve Tester with Universal Panel (advert p. A1 Wireless World 1939-1-26) .jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 147
  • AVO Valve Tester with Two Valve Panels (article p. 451 Wireless World 1937-5-7).jpg
    AVO Valve Tester with Two Valve Panels (article p. 451 Wireless World 1937-5-7).jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 177
  • AVO Valve Characteristic Meter Mk.I.jpg
    AVO Valve Characteristic Meter Mk.I.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 173
Actually AVO had an earlier valve tester called -quote- "the Avoadapter " where a meter is inserted into the feeds using a rotary switch using a base and flexible cable which morphed into the later model .

This allowed various tests to take place and no I didn't use the internet I have AVO,s own original manual dated early thirties so the original "valve tester " as put forth in indisputable print by the company itself is really the "first " .

I thought we were discussing the valve tester of TS, (so) not what the first AVO valve tester was. I didn't write about that, nor did somebody else in this thread.

You wrote that the valve tester of TS is actually the MK1. I just pointed out that this is not the case.

I am curious about the original manual for the AvoDapter though. Besides these two patents, and ofcourse some adverts, articles and pictures, I never saw more than these instructions written on the bottom of the AvoDapter.

Additional: I own the same valve tester as TS. See:

OTL800: Buizen testen

OTL800: Ervaringen met de AVO Two Panel Valve Tester en de AVO Valve Characteristic Meter Mk. III - Een gewaarschuwd mens telt voor twee

Attachments

• Avodapter patent 1933.pdf
    517.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Avodapter patent 1935.pdf
    621.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Instructions for using Avodapter.jpg
    Instructions for using Avodapter.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
The AVO book I have is dated -1934 and along with the Avoadapter is the Avocoupler and enables the adapter to be set up for 5 or 7 pin valves which is an early version of later valve tester adapters with a socket at the top and the base having the pins.

Two spring loaded side studs allow for 7 pin use.

The conclusion at the end of the book describe the adapter as "helping towards a clearer conception of modern radio servicing "-end quote.

On re-checking my large collection of old radio/test equipment books ,for the sake of accuracy for those wishing for more comprehensive information on the --twin panel AVO valve tester --do NOT buy the 1934 edition .

I have found I have two versions and the second one I have is the Eighth edition -dated 1943 which gives full information on the operation of the AVO valve tester --this includes the roller selection --which didn't change in later models accompanied at the end of the book by selector settings for all the very old and old makes of valves/tubes of that era .

It is available to read or download online --BUT- you have to become a member to download to read.

This includes an "American " list which should please American posters here --now THIS edition IS worth buying.

What in the Eight Edition of the book you say you have is not covered by several manuals for the this tester which can be found on the internet for free?

https://www.kevinchant.com/uploads/7/1/0/8/7108231/avo._2_part_suitcase_type_valve_tester..pdf

And which American valve types are not covered by the AVO Valve Data Manuals, which can be found on the internet for free (see link in post #7)?

https://frank.pocnet.net/instruments/AVO/MF/100815_AVO_VDM_17.pdf

https://frank.pocnet.net/instruments/AVO/MF/AVO_VDM_23RD_Valve_Data-Manual-OCR-20150222.pdf

In post #8 you started about the AvoDapter and wrote that you had the original manual for it. When I asked you for more info on that manual, you in post #10 changed "original manual" into "a book from 1934". To be sure what book it exactly was, I linked to the book I thought it must be in post #11 and asked you if it was that book. You replied that it is indeed that book.

Now you try to make it look like I posted the link in #11 to entice others to buy that book. That is ofcourse nonsense. And a diversion, since you didn't answer the questions in post #14.

If anyone tried to entice people to buy a book, it is you in post #13.

A little more than a month ago I wrote you a P.M.. Maybe you should read it again/entirely.

I have not read your last PM as you come across as a young arrogant /patronising troublemaker and I certainly wont be answering any more of your ridiculous sarcastic remarks as I will be blocking on my PC any more of your rubbish.

I like many others in the UK collect old electronic books on many subjects and that was why I was recommending buying it , I also said if you join that website you can download it -- which is free but as I said many people ,at least in the UK pay to collect originals.

If your remarks come to equal your PM ( first one ) and you post such on this website I will remind you of the rules of DIY Audio and if you publise that rubbish I will ask for your details to take action against you legally.

Legal action? Really?

My first PM to you consisted mainly of a list of links to postings by you on this and some other forums that show a large inconsistency between the way you present yourself (quadruple engineer, decades of repairing radios, etc.) and your actual knowledge of electronics. Do you seriously think that a judge will qualify publishing that list as a tort or a criminal offence? A list of links to postings which are all in the public domain? I don't think so.

By the way: I am a laywer by education (University degree) and profession (mainly tendering law and construction law) so I know a thing or two about legal issues.

You are ofcourse entitled to your opinions so if you find me "a young arrogant/patronising troublemaker" than that's fine with me (btw: I'm 57 years of age). But at least I don't present myself as somebody I'm actually not. I don't need to.