Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bailey510

Should we paint post and wire fence white or charleston green?

Skip Gilliam
9 years ago
We are having a small living post and wire fence area installed for our new home and wondering if the fence should be painted charleston green to match the shutters and boards at bottom of house or white to match the house? I'm thinking charleston green, would like to know what houzz thinks?

Comments (22)

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

If you don’t plan on ever repainting your house or shutters, you are safe going either way. Are your stairs going to be painted, they look unfinished or just in need of a good power wash. The Charleston Green would work well on them if you are going to paint.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

They looked unfinished but it can be so hard to tell in small pictures. It is a beautiful house. Congratulations!

• Stacey
    9 years ago
    Charleston green! Beautiful home!
  • Pam Allen Sohan
    9 years ago

Charlestown green, otherwise its just too much white.

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Like this type of fence?
  • Skip Gilliam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nope like the one I posted a picture of, neighborhood has strict guidelines on fences, can only be 36" high.
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Oops. My bad! How about cedar and letting to go grey so it blends in instead of making a statement. Its good looking. It's also a functional fence, it doesn't need to call attention to itself.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago

I would go with green as the white will need to be hosed down regularly or look dirty (and anything but white)!

• euca
    9 years ago
    Green.
  • phenriksen
    9 years ago

Charleston Green.

• Sally Pascale
    9 years ago

What a charming house! I think I vote for the green as well.

• phenriksen
    9 years ago

Not just green. Charleston green, which is 50% green, 50% black. Google it.

• bvisailor
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Charleston Green for sure. A dark fence fades into the landscape, whereas a light one chops it up. Our house is Charleston White with Charleston Green trim as well but our fence encloses 3 1/2 acres so we had to leave it natural or I definitely would have painted it Charleston Green.

My dogs wouldn't bat an eye before jumping a 36" fence; we'd have to dig a trench around the perimeter just inside the fence!!

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    9 years ago

I guess the neighborhood only allows miniature dogs, huh?

Looks like you are going at it right by starting out with a local landscape architect.

Are all your utilities underground? Be sure to have Miss Utility come out and mark their locations before they install the fenceposts and large plants.

Will that be an entry drive sweeping by the front steps? Might consider a walk as wide as the steps that crosses the drive and extends a little beyond it for the driver to step onto when exiting his car, and to act as a front terrace with potted plants when you gaze down from the house and front veranda. Get out the rocking chairs and mint juleps, and enjoy doing it right!

cascio.offsite@gmail.com

• bvisailor
    9 years ago

Oh, and on our back stairs we painted the risers Charleston Green & left the treads natural.

I love your house!

• phenriksen
    9 years ago

Bvisailor, that would become a ha-ha.

• PRO
    DH Design
    9 years ago

I would love to see green and then add shutters to the upper and side window as well in the same green (also paint the exisiting shutters). New surface treatment on the stairs and an eye catching front door and you will be ready to accessorize and furnish that amazing porch. Lucky you!

• Jilly Belle
    9 years ago
    Definitely the Charleston Green. Love your house!
  • PRO
    Highlands Mountain Realty
    9 years ago
    A beautiful home, please post pics when the construction is finished, can't wait to see how it turns out. Charleston Green
  • Skip Gilliam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the comments, green it is...still haven't decided on porch color either. Maybe solid gray stain...not sure.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago

How about a brown stain on the porch, it won't show footprints :-)