XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Buying a New XE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying a New XE

Hello everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R-Sport here within the next month. I drove the perfect spec today, but I was not able to purchase today, unfortunately... eventually another will show up. Anywho, I was wondering, current owners, what do you guys love and hate about your XE's? I am coming from a 2007 Jaguar S-Type and I did notice the XE's rear seat is cramped, though the current one in my S-Type is as well. The car drives beautifully (even tho I thought the '20s would ride harshly but didn't) and I love the exhaust note and gear shifts.

I will attach some photos. The car was silver (not sure if Rhodium or Indus)over Jet/Red two tone leather w/ carbon fiber accents. In addition, it had the 20s that really set the car out.

When I get the car, I plan on switching out the reverse lights and puddle lamps to led bulbs and switching all interior lighting to LED.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

If you or your regular passenger are tall, you'll want the seats right back, so the space in the rear will become very cramped. On the other hand if you don't need to carry more than a single passenger, the car will be OK for you. The current XF model is longer and has more space in the rear, apart from that it's pretty much the same as the XE. and also, like the XE made mostly of aluminium. The old model XF is all-steel. My previous car was a 2007 XJ6 which is a big car, and I liked it a lot, but got fed up with continually having to replace suspension bushes, (the design is not very good IMHO). So when my mother passed away at the age of 100, I part-exed the XJ for the XE as I no longer had the need for lots of room in the back.
My May 2017 XE Portfolio was on 10k miles when I bought it for half price in Jan 2019, and had the slight improvements made for that year, namely a sliding cover over the cup holders and what else, I don't really know ! Like the last two Jaguars I had, the front discs had some run-out and I got these replaced, since when the car has just motored along perfectly well. You don't say where you live, but if you get cold winters, then the heated seats and steering wheel are Godsends ! My car came without a spare wheel so I found one on eBay, but to get it fitted you need to buy the boot floor for the spare wheel, as it's slightly wider, and sits higher so you lose a bit of space. On the other hand, I have fold-down seats, so have never run out of space, at least not so far. Of course it just has a boot lid, not a hatchback door so if you want to bring home very bulky stuff you need an SUV or a pickup.

The following users liked this post:
Shane D (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I also own a similar car and I love it. I am so glad I ended up with the 3.0 engine. One of the oddities of the car is that the 3.0 and the 2.0 are rated at the same fuel economy. I am very happy with mine, even getting an indicated 32.2 mpg on a 1300 mile trip. The sound it makes is very satisfying and there's more than enough power for me.
Negatives are pretty obvious. The rear seat IS cramped, no surprise there. The low profile tires don't like potholes. The materials used on the interior are not very luxurious (improved on the new ones). The rotary shifter is a little quirky. The auto stop/start is annoying. I can't think of any negatives that you haven't already heard of.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by AZBob
I also own a similar car and I love it. I am so glad I ended up with the 3.0 engine. One of the oddities of the car is that the 3.0 and the 2.0 are rated at the same fuel economy. I am very happy with mine, even getting an indicated 32.2 mpg on a 1300 mile trip. The sound it makes is very satisfying and there's more than enough power for me.
Negatives are pretty obvious. The rear seat IS cramped, no surprise there. The low profile tires don't like potholes. The materials used on the interior are not very luxurious (improved on the new ones). The rotary shifter is a little quirky. The auto stop/start is annoying. I can't think of any negatives that you haven't already heard of.
I noticed the fuel economy was the same because originally I was looking at 25t's but when I realized it was a no brainer to go for the 3.0.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
If you or your regular passenger are tall, you'll want the seats right back, so the space in the rear will become very cramped. On the other hand if you don't need to carry more than a single passenger, the car will be OK for you. The current XF model is longer and has more space in the rear, apart from that it's pretty much the same as the XE. and also, like the XE made mostly of aluminium. The old model XF is all-steel. My previous car was a 2007 XJ6 which is a big car, and I liked it a lot, but got fed up with continually having to replace suspension bushes, (the design is not very good IMHO). So when my mother passed away at the age of 100, I part-exed the XJ for the XE as I no longer had the need for lots of room in the back.
My May 2017 XE Portfolio was on 10k miles when I bought it for half price in Jan 2019, and had the slight improvements made for that year, namely a sliding cover over the cup holders and what else, I don't really know ! Like the last two Jaguars I had, the front discs had some run-out and I got these replaced, since when the car has just motored along perfectly well. You don't say where you live, but if you get cold winters, then the heated seats and steering wheel are Godsends ! My car came without a spare wheel so I found one on eBay, but to get it fitted you need to buy the boot floor for the spare wheel, as it's slightly wider, and sits higher so you lose a bit of space. On the other hand, I have fold-down seats, so have never run out of space, at least not so far. Of course it just has a boot lid, not a hatchback door so if you want to bring home very bulky stuff you need an SUV or a pickup.
Well, here in Atlanta, Georgia it does not get below 25 degrees very often but I would love a heated wheel on my commute. I know this is a strange question, but how quickly does the heater fire up heat? Because in my S-Type it does not actually blow heat until 2-3 minutes into the drive.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Electric heated seats and steering wheel are very quick, but main heater needs the engine to warm up a bit, obviously. This would be about the same time as your S-type.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen.513
I noticed the fuel economy was the same because originally I was looking at 25t's but when I realized it was a no brainer to go for the 3.0.
This is just not true. I had 25t XE as a loaner for a week and did note that it reported surprisingly poor gas mileage (10L/100km). However, after I filled it with premium gas, mileage improved to 8.0-8.5L/100km in mixed driving. My V6 F-type, being a smaller car than XE, doesn't see these numbers outside of highway cruising.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

I had the same color interior.

The wheels are quite fragile on the XE, so get rim and tire insurance. Replace to high performance tires and utilize the wifi hot spot if possible. The handling was great on the XE, but the brakes were just OK and didn't look the part either. The paint is super soft, so be careful with polishing.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
This is just not true. I had 25t XE as a loaner for a week and did note that it reported surprisingly poor gas mileage (10L/100km). However, after I filled it with premium gas, mileage improved to 8.0-8.5L/100km in mixed driving. My V6 F-type, being a smaller car than XE, doesn't see these numbers outside of highway cruising.
In the US, they are rated the same. Keep in mind, for 2017 we did not have Ingenium engine.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my point of view after few weeks of ownership I really would want to add to the optional the folding mrrors and back seats but the most important is the 360 surround camera system. The back view and the view from mirrors of the back it's distorted or limitated so if you need to move the car in a garage not so large you really need an auxiliary aid. Also electric seats may be a must because the basic seat have limited adjustment and the seat is not so comfortable as in an x or s type.... and this is a shame for me.... I guess that in a long trip you will not appreciate the seat confort....

mosesbotbol (02-14-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by alext
From my point of view after few weeks of ownership I really would want to add to the optional the folding mrrors and back seats but the most important is the 360 surround camera system. The back view and the view from mirrors of the back it's distorted or limitated so if you need to move the car in a garage not so large you really need an auxiliary aid. Also electric seats may be a must because the basic seat have limited adjustment and the seat is not so comfortable as in an x or s type.... and this is a shame for me.... I guess that in a long trip you will not appreciate the seat confort....
Honestly, I did not think it would be necessary on such a small car to have the 360 cam, but the car will be parked between a small spot between a brick wall and my S-type so I do not want to damage either cars... lol. Strangely, one thing I wish the XE's here in America did not have is a power trunk. It just seems so unnecessary to need the power to shut down a small trunk lid. Thanks for your insight.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:48 PM

I have read online (Car and Driver) that the Pirelli tires on the 20' propeller rims, the ones I prefer, are terrible when it comes to bumps and potholes. Is this true? Will I need to switch the tires out ASAP or just purchase Jaguar Wheel and Tire coverage?

Old 02-17-2020, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Pirelli tires are terrible and 20 rims are probably too large for anything but perfect roads.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

My understanding from reviews is that the 20's are fine on Australian roads (which are not that good) on the standard suspension but the ride and handling in the 2020 is compromised on 20's when you have the adaptive suspension. We have had 19's with pirelli's on both of our XEs, it was a perfect combination on the 2015 (R sport standard suspension) and beautifully smooth on the 2020 (R dynamic adaptive suspension) though personally I would prefer it a little firmer in the 2020. Having gone from Pirellis to Michelins in my F Type, I agree with SinF - the ride on 21 inch Michelins is as good as the ride on 19 inch P Zeros, and grip is improved.

mosesbotbol (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
My understanding from reviews is that the 20's are fine on Australian roads (which are not that good) on the standard suspension but the ride and handling in the 2020 is compromised on 20's when you have the adaptive suspension. We have had 19's with pirelli's on both of our XEs, it was a perfect combination on the 2015 (R sport standard suspension) and beautifully smooth on the 2020 (R dynamic adaptive suspension) though personally I would prefer it a little firmer in the 2020. Having gone from Pirellis to Michelins in my F Type, I agree with SinF - the ride on 21 inch Michelins is as good as the ride on 19 inch P Zeros, and grip is improved.
Okay, interesting. I am thinking about looking at the 19's Venom rims. What tires do they come on?