Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest! Join in on all the fun, and register today.

Registration is free and allows you to post, vote in polls and upload into our galleries.

1983 Camaro, info on buying one

Discussion in '3rd Gen Camaro (1982-1992 Camaro)' started by Billyjoebob007, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Billyjoebob007

Hello all, Im a F body enthusiasts since the late 80's, mostly ive had firebird/transmission ams from year range 70-89 . I thinking on trading my 06 chrysler 300 for a 83 camaro with the wimpy 5.0 crossfire motor in it. Owner seems to not know what transmission and rear is in though. Im hoping the 700r4 transmission. All i know on the rear end is it a drum brakes rear. Car is in sooper clean shape and only has 58,000 original miles .He had the car listed for $7500 . The last service on it was about 8 months ago :
    05/16/2019
    MILEAGE
    57,269mi
    Services Performed
    • Vehicle serviced
    • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Spark plug wires replaced
    • Distributor cap replaced
    • Fuel filter replaced
    • Starter replaced
    • Spark plug(s) replaced
    • Battery replaced
    • Oil and filter changed
    And before that 5 years ago:

02/07/2015
    MILEAGE
    51,306mi
    Services Performed
    • Vehicle serviced
    • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Drag link replaced
    • Drag link end replaced
    • Brake wheel cylinder(s) replaced
    • Brake shoes replaced
    • Brakes checked
    • Steering/suspension checked
    • Fluids checked
    • Tire condition and pressure checked
    • Glass checked
    • Brake fluid flushed/changed
    • Brake drum(s) resurfaced
    • Brake fluid checked
    • Front brake rotor(s) replaced
    • Wheel bearing(s)/hub(s) replaced
    • Brake caliper(s) replaced
    • Front brake caliper(s) replaced
    • Brake drum(s) replaced
    • Thrust angle alignment performed
      • Idler arm replaced
      • Alignment performed

• The only reason im really interested in is it looks to be in good shape and low miles and theres a lot performance wise that can be done on the drive train.
    • Should i do the trade or turn and run for the hills ?

00F0F_bdD57q8HzMr_1200x900.jpg #ad

00G0G_1uDlAV9TQbT_1200x900.jpg #ad

00N0N_6FeeYMuqs4R_1200x900.jpg #ad

00p0p_6NJW4hoU1Tc_1200x900.jpg #ad

00S0S_1bCQUSjwNLd_1200x900.jpg #ad

00y0y_atHkfrXU2aa_1200x900.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. Billyjoebob007

This car in the condition its in with the miles whats it worth ?

3. NastyZ

In 1983

Crossfire 305 had 175 hp@4200 rpm and 250 ft/lbs of tq@2800 rpm . You had two transmission choices ...which were both new this year 700r4 and the t-5 borg warner

Source
    Camaro performance handbook , by David Shelby

As far as rear end, might be a tag on the rear end (doubtfull...they fall off ) ,but theck the center console for an rpo starting with a gu and tuen a number like ....gu5 lets say. Also g80 is the rpo for limited slip.

I think 7500 is a bit on the highside for that particular car... just because if the incorrect wheels and strip package from an iroc of later years..... just my opinion....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldnt pay over 5k for it personally....if that

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  4. Billyjoebob007

Ah, thanks. So the 200c transmission wasnt in the 83 ? Ya those look like american racing re pop wheels. Most likely then the cars been re painted and thats not possibly the original paint or decals. I havent checked over the car as the guy lives 100 miles away and was going to bring the car up this Sunday. I have 7500 into the chrysler 300 so i might pass on the car, unless he throws in some greenbacks with the deal. I will ask em if hes got the original wheels to go with it.

5. NastyZ

Its only a cocern if you want it original. They look like oasis knock off iroc wheels to me.... nothing wrong with that at all...as long as you dont mind it. I just only see the pace car from back then being worth anything.... as an original car. But then if you want to modify the car.... a 7500 base price... is high to me ....for somthing you will be gutting kinda.... well the motor anyways.... them crossfires were known for bad vacuum leaks and coolant leaks accorsing to that source i named above.

Also dont expect to do alot to that 305 and be blown away by it... even by changing the induction up top... its still a futile battle

So what i see is ...wheels incorrect, decals and paint. Exhaust aswell. Also not sure but i dont think they did leather in an 83 either....but not 100 % on that.... that is just speaking to the originality of it. Leather is a nice touch. ..if you like it. The wheels....are better than the stock 83 wheels IMO. paint amd decals... that a preferance thing aswell.

Remember. .. this is just me spouting off some opinions .... if that car bites you in the ass....and you gotta have it.... get it.... love it....enjoy it

6. NastyZ

Ya its the first year for the 700r4 .... 200c was done.... except in the buickregals ,etc i think

7. mullettcar

Pic of engine has branches and leaves and snow all around the edges but pics of car sunny and dry
    Does have nice looking leather

8. Billyjoebob007

I also see that somethings up with the drivers side glass has a bit of a gap in upper right corner, looks like its not sealing with the upper weatherstrip.

9. NastyZ

Car could have been hit.... or twisted....sounds at least the window has been replaced incorrectly ..now i wouldnt go for it lol.... when bodies are wierd like that i would run....just me though

10. Billyjoebob007

I ran the vin on it, no accident history, mileage checks out too. Might do the trade and drop a 350 in it, perhaps a t-56 transmission conversion .
    I were to drop in a 350 crate motor into that what to do about a computer and wiring harness ? Whats needed ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  11. NastyZ

Well if you are doing just a carbed motor... dont need a computer ,etc.... if you are going efi..... crate motors.... some packages come turn key..... that is to say...with ecm ,woreing,sensors etc.

I am sure you can get another 3rd gen cheaper than that. ... without any sketchy window issues. .. seeing how you plan on a swap anyways.... might even pick up a decent roller for cheap....or one with a blown motor ,etc...

I still say they are asking wayyyyyy to much for that car. Heck i got my iroc for 1500..... no rust.... just bad paint and a high milage driveline under it. The idea of the window being wonky.... with what looks like a fresh paint job. ..makes me wonder... dont wanna find out after.... the thing leaks water in there like a sieve ... if that window frame is out ouf alignment.... BIG CASH.... to fix if possible

Can you say red flag red flag lol.... again its my opinion

12. Billyjoebob007

Yea, im kinda aching to get back into wrenching on a f body car again, been trying to sell or trade this 300 for 6 months now :( , i have like $7500 into it. Heres my listing on it:
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/hudson-2006-chrysler-300-v6-rwd-awesome/7028933943.html

People here dont like sedans that much, its all trucks and suv's . What i really really want is a newer 2010+ camaro ss, or a 2002'ish ws6 transmission am :)
    I will probably pass on that z car for now unless they guy wants to add 2k along with it on the trade, then i may consider.
    Thanks for you help guys, much appreciated :)

13. NOBOTL

it looks like 3500-4500 dollar car to me , but im also not the guy who buys cars to keep them original. for me id be buying the chassis only everything else would be going lol

NastyZ likes this.
  14. Billyjoebob007

Welp, i traded for the Z car ! Pretty clean car, 57,000 original on it . First 3rd gen f -body i have purchased that im not going to have to replace any of the weather stripping on ! Its all in sooper great condition. Hell, even the rear hatch stays up and doesnt need new struts . Has the original storage bags for the t tops too, and original owners manual. Will post some better pics up tomorrow after clean er up a bit get it out in the light, dark here now.

20191222_165901.jpg #ad

20191222_170120.jpg #ad

20191222_170312.jpg #ad

20191222_170445.jpg #ad

15. mullettcar

wow looks pretty good love the seats i like leather hve leather in my 95
    rule #1 dont park you camaro in the garage with mud on the fender lol
    just messing with you really nice i think you scored pretty good body and int wise.

16. mullettcar

did you figure out why the drivers window is not up right.
    you might need to take the door panel off and do some adjusting there are some pads and screws you can move around to fix that.

NastyZ likes this.
  17. Billyjoebob007

Ya thats what i think is bolts loose in there or something . The motors working but a little slow, will dig into it tomorrow.

18. NastyZ

Didnt you say there was somthing up with the windshield too? Not fitting right or something. ...that what scared me off the car

***edit**** I re read your post you were only saying it was the door glass not lining up......this whole time it was in my head it was the windshield for some reason....

19. Billyjoebob007

So, the guy i traded the 300 for - he tore outta here when he left so i assume he was driving like a bat ouuta hell and prob doing alot of hard braking . So the car( the 300) broke down in a long stretch of a construction zone, the rear brake caliper broke apart. Nows hes on my butt raging about it. look at the caliper - the 2 bolts are bent and looks like the back plate snapped ! I did those brakes a good year and a half ago and torq to spec the bolts down . Now i fell bad about it, the guys not working right now, i paid for 1/2 the tow.

Attach16231_20191222_202009.jpg #ad

Attach16232_20191222_202011.jpg #ad

20. NastyZ

Dont worry about it....i feal he did real good on his sale