The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
jocko

Pic request of specific paint combo (dark olive over med olive standard 2-tone)

Would like to see a pic of a 69-72 with dark olive top over solid med olive body. Not sure if this was an offered factory combo - or just a special order.

Could have sworn I had some pics of this combo, but only have the opposite combo and then a dark/med/dark/med deluxe 2-tone. Looking specifically for the dark over med olive standard two tone pic, if anyone has one.

Thank you!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
sKnNyPpY

Re: Pic request of specific paint combo (dark olive over med olive standard 2-tone)

I second this request,my original scheme was dark olive over medium olive, but I believe I had a white top (per the chipped section of black showing white on the rear of the cab)
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens

Last edited by sKnNyPpY; 03-18-2013 at 11:45 PM.
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
SS Tim

Re: Pic request of specific paint combo (dark olive over med olive standard 2-tone)

Jocko, We talked about this before... do it. 556 is the Custom Two-Tone color code with a 506 roof and 504 body. Conventional Two-Tone had a white roof and Custom Two-Tone had other select colors for the roof.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 03-19-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: If you didn't see it I'm not telling
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
jocko

YES! That's the pic I was looking for Tim - thank you. I could have sworn I saved that thing... Anyhoo, yes, I'm seriously considering it. Have opted to not go white over med olive (although I do love that combo too) - I'm either going to re-do it as born, all med olive, or add the dk olive top. Thanks for confirming it was a factory opt too - was it still called "Custom Two Tone" in 71/72? Must've been - the SPID is for a 72 and uses the same 556 referenced in the 70 info.

Looks pretty sweet and far from common.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
leddzepp

That's a sweet combo (dark olive roof over medium olive). And it's the correct combo for your truck?! Do it...do it...do it
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
jocko

unfortunately, no - mine's a solid 504 med olive originally... This would be going away from the original paint scheme slightly. Am a purist at heart, but have grown to like this combo quite a bit. My dream of "just rubbin out the paint" and keeping it original faded away when the knucklehead po that told me that the truck had the original paint left the receipt for the 20 year old paint job in the glovebox... Oh, and he forgot to mention some dents that weren't readily apparent in the pics. Caveat emptor, I got what I paid for. Well, almost... Ha, it's a project, all part of the fun. BUT, since it will need a repaint anyway now, am considering a few options - nothing major, was considering adding the white top, but leaning more toward stock 504 all med olive or adding the dk olive top.... still a ways away.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
JCD

Not to hijack.. but I was wondering if it was possible for a customer to select two colors in the special option that you wouldn't normally see together..
Like Green and Gold, Orange and yellow, or Red and Blue.
If so.. lets see them.

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
leddzepp

I understand your dilemma, believe me!

I went back and forth over the combinations of ochre and white on my truck up until it was time for paint. Whatever you decide it will look awesome as it will be an originally offered paint scheme. You can't beat the white added in for contrast, no matter how it is arranged. But you have the unique option of using a color other than white to create that contrast...and still have it factory AND look good. I can't imagine two contrasting shades of ochre looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
jocko

i also like the opposite combo (557), but think I prefer dk over med (556) - and I also prefer to at least keep the same "base" color of med olive (primarily for interior matching purposes, etc).
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #10
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
YES!... I'm seriously considering it. Thanks for confirming it was a factory opt too - was it still called "Custom Two Tone" in 71/72? Must've been - the SPID is for a 72 and uses the same 556 referenced in the 70 info.
Looks like you answered yourself there.
Here is another combo we have talked about and "liked" for your truck. It also keeps the interior color. In fact the dark green, white or the yellow can be added to your truck or even changed about between the choices and not affect the base color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
... but I was wondering if it was possible for a customer to select two colors in the special option that you wouldn't normally see together...
That would be a "special paint" truck. More often than not these were custom combinations of stock colors rather than a non-production color. An example of this is this "special paint" ochre and white truck done in a reverse "special two-tone" that is most often seen on Suburbans.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
dads longhorn

SSTim, is that your green truck? I hope so . i think It's a real beauty, wow, I like that shade of olive.
Posted via Mobile Device
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
jocko

thx tim - yep, i considered the light yellow/med olive combo (574) - but haven't seen one with the light yellow on top of the med olive, and that would be the only only one to retain the interior as med olive. I do like med olive over light yellow (main body) but probably wouldn't go that route for the same reason I wouldn't do the dk olive body with med olive top - kinda want to retain the main body color as 504. Do you have any pics of the 574 combo? That one I've never seen - only the reverse in the original Longhorn brochures.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

My K10 is close...
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
jocko

yep, I really like it too deadhead. I already had that pic - it was the best thing I had to go on for what I'm looking at doing - but was just wondering if anyone had a solid med olive body with that good lookin dk olive top (I had seen the pic tim posted, but hadn't saved it for ref yet).

Was yours ordered that way? Man, that thing is nice.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

jocko... what is the stock interior color on your medium olive truck?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
jocko

Nate, mine's a cheyenne super with 632 olive custom cloth - i.e. green/black houndstooth. the paint is med olive just like the exterior.

my truck currently has the wrong seat in it (a replacement from a C10 it appears because I just found a build sheet for another truck in the seat springs!) (I do have the build sheet for my truck, fortunately some po yanked it and saved it before the seat was replaced and the seat is an out of place, odd dark green, non-stock color seat cover).

Last edited by jocko; 03-19-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
jocko

Tim - quick question on your post #3. Would you agree that the upper door frame (i.e. the part around the window) should be dk olive also since this is a real 556 truck? (like deadheads upper door dk olive paint is what I am trying to say) Seems like the doors were left all med olive(?) It might look correct if the A-pillar was also med olive, but it's not. My understanding was that the A pillar as well as the upper door frame would be dk olive also. Just QA'ing myself. But the contrast kinda looks nice between the upper door frame and the C-pillar, but I'd probably want to paint it all together correctly.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Nate, mine's a cheyenne super with 632 olive custom cloth - i.e. green/black houndstooth. the paint is med olive just like the exterior.

my truck currently has the wrong seat in it (a replacement from a C10 it appears because I just found a build sheet for another truck in the seat springs!) (I do have the build sheet for my truck, fortunately some po yanked it and saved it before the seat was replaced and the seat is an out of place, odd dark green, non-stock color seat cover).
I was hoping that it wasn't an off-breed like my '69 and some '70's.

You just can't beat original documentation.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
jocko

ha! but it gets confusing when you have two build sheets... I am glad I had the original build sheet included in the sale or the C10 (mine's a C20) build sheet under the seat would've really thrown me for a loop...

Btw, just remembered this truck I took a few pics of at the LA Roadster show a year ago. Kind of a 556 truck with somewhat custom green tones (at least the lower main body isn't med olive, but you get the idear).
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
SS Tim

Quote:
Tim - quick question on your post #3. Would you agree that the upper door frame (i.e. the part around the window) should be dk olive also since this is a real 556 truck? (like deadheads upper door dk olive paint is what I am trying to say) Seems like the doors were left all med olive(?) It might look correct if the A-pillar was also med olive, but it's not. My understanding was that the A pillar as well as the upper door frame would be dk olive also. Just QA'ing myself. But the contrast kinda looks nice between the upper door frame and the C-pillar, but I'd probably want to paint it all together correctly.
Think you are just seeing a metallic color shift. The upper frame is painted the darker color along the front and top in the picture. The conventional two-tone and the custom two-tone used the same break lines. So the body, interior sheetmetal and doors up to the widow frame are going to be the same color. Only the 67s ran the driprail up hardtop look two-tone paint.

If you haven't seen this picture, it is a great reference for a 557 paint truck.

BTW To me, in the picture, Deadheads truck appears to have the 505 dark green not the 506 dark olive.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads longhorn View Post
SSTim, is that your green truck? I hope so . i think It's a real beauty, wow, I like that shade of olive.
No unfortunately that 72 556 code K20 is not mine.
Though I like green trucks the 504 medium olive just does not do it for me. Once was enough with my suburban. The 505 non-metallic is probably my favorite. However there is a 506 dark olive (564 actually coventional two-tone with white) highlander that has my interest in a big way.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
jocko

Copy Tim, I think you're right the longer I stared, the more it looked like dk olive. What?? You don't like med olive?????? Say it ain't so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
yep, I really like it too deadhead. I already had that pic - it was the best thing I had to go on for what I'm looking at doing - but was just wondering if anyone had a solid med olive body with that good lookin dk olive top (I had seen the pic tim posted, but hadn't saved it for ref yet).

Was yours ordered that way? Man, that thing is nice.
Thanks! The color combo isn't original: the truck is an original Cheyenne that came with a white cab and remainder medium olive. I really green trucks especially medium olive - good luck! Pete

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #24
jocko

ah! gorgeous either way. I know what you mean. 10 years ago (ok, maybe 20), I probably wouldn't have given a med or dark olive truck a second look. But it's grown on me...
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #25
70cst

Close...factory colors

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote