The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
cherokeejohn

542 WHITE & MEDIUM BLUE ??? pics please.

The SPID on my 72 Custom/10 says 542 WHITE & MEDIUM BLUE. it is currently light blue/baby blue with a white top. I can see that it has been repainted before, possibly a couple times, and finally the PO blotched all over it at every spot/ding/scratch/or dent on the truck with some spray bombs in a light blue. So currently it is just about all shades of a light blue available. I'm looking for a pic of the original color and or color scheme. So if you have a 542 on your SPID listing, please post a pic for me. My truck will be undergoing a resto. in about a month and I'm undecided on going back to original, or just going all white. Keep in mind , this is my Daily Driver and around the homestead use truck so she's no garage queen. It still does what a Chevy truck was built to do. thanks.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Blue/72

Re: 542 WHITE & MEDIUM BLUE ??? pics please.

Here is my 1972 Custom/10, this is factory dark blue and white but I believe it is very to the medium blue. Just to give you an idea of what the dark vs medium blue would look like
Attached Images

•1972 Cheyenne Super. Sold
Blue/72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
cherokeejohn

Thanks for the pic Blue/72, your truck looks great. Now looking at your pic is a good example of why I'm confused about mine. I'll post a pic with this reply. there's quite a bit of area on my truck that when wet or wax/polish is applied it looks like that color-ish. My paint is so badly oxidized it's almost impossible to judge, and I was a auto painter/body tech for 16 years before my accident. I put up some shots of different areas of the truck, some are original looking but i don't know if it had an "all over"( meaning interior and exterior ) paint job or not. I tried contacting the PO who was the original purchaser when new, but he has apparently passed away this past fall ( may he rest-in-piece ). When I went and bought the truck from him we conversed for several hours and became friends. He was very happy to know that I was going to restore it and still use it. He was a true Old Virginia farmer from the Shenandoah valley area "about 5-6 hour drive from me" and he bought it new and used it everyday on his 450 acre farm until 2002 when it was parked in a barn. Then I came along and am rebuilding it as i go. I have been sending him pics along the way and conversing via emails. I just recently learned of his passing
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Thanks for giving me an excuse for posting her again. Wish I could have kept that rare bird. That's original paint from two trucks. I think that color on your truck is called Blotchy Blue. Blotchy paint was the rage before the herd discovered patina
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is my "510" Medium Blue '72
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Troynutts

[attach]1493913[/attach

Last edited by Troynutts; 01-30-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Troynutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Troynutts

Sorry still trying to figure out this site. All the pics are loading upside down but there right side up on my pc
Troynutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I've had that problem before. It's random and I never had that issue till windows 8.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-31-2016, 01:05 AM   #9
Mapearso

Medium Blue is Code 510. Pics below.

I am going deluxe two tone , medium blue and white on my truck

Build thread is here --

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=652481&page=3
Attached Images

Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Those are solid color codes, 2-tone in the same color had a different code/same paint

Tim

Old 01-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
Coley

Smile Re: 542 WHITE & MEDIUM BLUE ??? pics please.

Here is my Medium Blue/White Highlander.

Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
joecaruso

heres my med blue and white 70'. It was repainted last winter.
Attached Images

joecaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #13
hdff

Just for comparison my truck is dark blue, started out as medium blue. Here the AC is pulled off the fire wall exposing the original paint medium blue.
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:44 AM   #14
SS Tim

Funny none of the replies posted are showing an actual code 542 factory paint. So here is one, a low mileage original paint 71. As mentioned the 71-72 542 code describes a 510 Medium Blue truck with a 521 White roof in the Conventional Two-Tone scheme.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-01-2016 at 05:55 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I think we took his original post to be less technical. Just a simple request for examples of the correct Medium Blue his truck was originally. Codes vary, shade stays the same.

Tim

Old 04-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #16
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Funny none of the replies posted are showing an actual code 542 factory paint. So here is one, a low mileage original paint 71. As mentioned the 71-72 542 code describes a 510 Medium Blue truck with a 521 White roof in the Conventional Two-Tone scheme.
tim, could you put up the paint code chart for '71 dark blue please? I had it but have misplaced it.
thanks
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
SS Tim

The 71-72 Dark Blue is code 523.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #18
hdff

Quote:
The 71-72 Dark Blue is code 523.
thanks but could you post the chart above except for dark blue with the color combinations. thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
SS Tim

No actually I can't since I have not made one yet. The chart was done as a test for an outside project that is on hold.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #20
cherokeejohn

Thank you SSTim!, Great job on that chart. I was an auto painter mostly, and body tech for many years before my bike accident. that is a good example of a actual paint chart from manufacturer. The truck in your post with the chart, is my truck almost to a T, mines a LWB and i have a chrome front bumper. Special K, you are very right about the same shade, diff codes tho. Mine has 30 different shades spread across from bumper to bumper, LOL. I have determined for mine I am probably just gonna primer/seal it in white for the time being. If I ever find a 4WD model in my price range then I will put a fresh semi-original paint job on her, but for now I'm using as a daily truck so It just isn't logical to do it at this time. On a positive note; the elect. fuel pump did the trick, I been driving and working her daily since, going strong too!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #21
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Thanks for giving me an excuse for posting her again. Wish I could have kept that rare bird. That's original paint from two trucks. I think that color on your truck is called Blotchy Blue. Blotchy paint was the rage before the herd discovered patina
Every time I see this truck it makes me want to build a 4x4, such an awesome rig
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
Thank you SSTim!, Great job on that chart. I was an auto painter mostly, and body tech for many years before my bike accident. that is a good example of a actual paint chart from manufacturer...

... I have determined for mine I am probably just gonna primer/seal it in white for the time being...then I will put a fresh semi-original paint job on her, but for now I'm using as a daily truck so It just isn't logical...
Thanks for the complement!
The Chart Project started out as a way to help people visualize how GM used several different codes yet the primary body color was the same for all offerings.
Might just have to do a few more and tweek the finished presentation for some of the more common colors (after my favorites of course).

Now on your truck please help me, how is blowing a color change white over the truck more logical than a uniform 510 Meium Blue? While I haven't priced paint much lately there can't be a huge delta between the two. I see so many white overpaints the look beat it seems like a correct blue single stage would look much better longer. Either as a solid or two-toned.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #23
hdff

Quote:
No actually I can't since I have not made one yet. The chart was done as a test for an outside project that is on hold.
ok thanks Tim, I thought I remembered you posting one for me a couple of years ago with dark blue as the solid and the SPID numbers for the paint combos. must have been someone else i'll keep lookin and see if I saved it somewhere

Old 04-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #24
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
ok thanks Tim, I thought I remembered you posting one for me a couple of years ago with dark blue as the solid and the SPID numbers for the paint combos. must have been someone else i'll keep lookin and see if I saved it somewhere
Might have done a write up but not an actual finished color chart like the 510 based. Anyway just to keep this thread from being hijacked further and confusing to people actually trying to see 542 paint code trucks, here are the basics for a 71-72 523 Dark Blue body color.

523 Solid Dark Blue
572 Conventional Two-Tone 523 body color 521 secondary W/DB
592 Special Two-Tone 523 body color 521 secondary W/DB/W
482 Deluxe Two-Tone 523 body color 521 secondary W/DB/W/DB
559 Custom Two-Tone 523 body color 510 secondary MB/DB
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #25
cherokeejohn

Quote:
Thanks for the complement!
The Chart Project started out as a way to help people visualize how GM used several different codes yet the primary body color was the same for all offerings.
Might just have to do a few more and tweek the finished presentation for some of the more common colors (after my favorites of course).

Now on your truck please help me, how is blowing a color change white over the truck more logical than a uniform 510 Meium Blue? While I haven't priced paint much lately there can't be a huge delta between the two. I see so many white overpaints the look beat it seems like a correct blue single stage would look much better longer. Either as a solid or two-toned.
To be completely honest, I have all intentions of re-doing my truck back to its original paint scheme, and probably in lacquer base single stage. It's easier to do repairs, blends, and for authenticity. This will be once I am ready and able to do a full restoration. I have a surplus of bright white primer/sealer. I worked as a contractor/painter for fleet services, Baltimore Gas & Electric for about 7 years. Everything from tool boxes,Utility equip, to small vehicles, giant Utility trucks, everything was bright white. With the exception of black for undercarriages and decals & stripes. very monotonous. Currently, I am in a very tight financial spot, so i can't afford the paint. but with having a surplus of primer/sealer, at least I can get rid of the multi blues and surface rust. Once my disability get finalized I will put a garage on my property down south along with power and I will start my restoration properly and make her look brand new again.