1988 Renault 21 Monaco - Mélanie

prab

So this happened last night, put a deposit down collect end of next month. Ladies and Gents I Present Mélanie the Monaco. Shes a 1988 Renault 21 Monaco phase 1 in Superb condition!

a16b471f5f02376fb0b2608fe1844ca5_zpsa5b8

49b20d44554c0edbdc60d3aa091a2fb7_zpse955

4cd8b678753d556a48a741abb187fc93_zpsecc7

ac3d3d1f4254bf1e2baa7ec90d99d690_zpsf9cc

4c2dd87ef63e0ebc8714bca2d180040d_zpsa422

3a2b764303f03da9687e8f92abad4f39_zps7269

05cdcfdb4a8e532ea0f6a5f374d64be8_zps7cb0

cf2c654e699e6e6c88dfb0ec9b16b335_zpsbe65

28352946879981b8c01ebc3badc0be09_zpsd932

She will make a lovely pair with my 25 Monaco, now to find a 5 Monaco!

Prab

Nice car, I always thought that the 21 deserved more than its 'French Montego' image in this country.

We had a 2.0i Savanna 7 seater for about 3 years when my kids were small and it had a better ride ( and headlights!) than the nearly new Carlton,Granada or Omega I ran at the same time.

In fact with 4 kids it was without doubt the fastest way fom A-B. They never got travel sick when chucking it about like later when we had MPVs.

Am I imagining it ,or did 1.7 and 2.0 21's have different engine layout and wheelbase,necessitating different front wings?

When you've got a matching set of Monacos you can start on Baccarras.

Nice car, I always thought that the 21 deserved more than its 'French Montego' image in this country.

We had a 2.0i Savanna 7 seater for about 3 years when my kids were small and it had a better ride ( and headlights!) than the nearly new Carlton,Granada or Omega I ran at the same time.

In fact with 4 kids it was without doubt the fastest way fom A-B. They never got travel sick when chucking it about like later when we had MPVs.

Am I imagining it ,or did 1.7 and 2.0 21's have different engine layout and wheelbase,necessitating different front wings?

When you've got a matching set of Monacos you can start on Baccarras.

Yep the 2.0s had the longitudinal layout! Would love a 1.7 hatch now come to think about it...

That's so brown! Are you going for a 5 to collect the whole set?

Yup, R21 trivia fact is that it was the only car in recent years to be available from the factory in 4 different wheelbase lengths depending on saloon/estate and engine orientation.

That's so brown! Are you going for a 5 to collect the whole set?

Yup, R21 trivia fact is that it was the only car in recent years to be available from the factory in 4 different wheelbase lengths depending on saloon/estate and engine orientation.

Yes spiny going for the 5 next, but has to be a 1.7 manual!

I have a 5 Monaco already named Monica, waiting in someone's drive for me,the lady who was parting with it only wanted me to have it as I would give it a chance and fix it, anyone else would see it as a shit car and bridge it, i agreed to have it without hearing the engine running wcpgw

I have a 5 Monaco already named Monica, waiting in someone's drive for me,the lady who was parting with it only wanted me to have it as I would give it a chance and fix it, anyone else would see it as a shit car and bridge it, i agreed to have it without hearing the engine running wcpgw

if its a 1.7 i'll give it a lease of life if its the auto 1.4 its not for me!

All this talk of 5 Monacos, reminds me that I raped one for its interior and wheels for my oldest daughters Campus 10 years ago. It was running with ticket ,but impossible to insure for a 17 year old- sorry!

Must have been a 1.7 monaco as the 1.4s were insurance friendly!

Excellent! I'm getting very jealous of your Renault collecting exploits :)

Cheers, but if I don't get them they may fall into the hands of those who won't love them or those who will try to flip them for extortionate amounts, I know how much old renaults are worth!

I love the anarchic plumbing on French cars of this era - it must have kept the hose-makers in business.

Haha you think this is bad you should of seen the 25 v6 turbo and my R9 Turbo!

Prab

We too had a Savanna when the 4 ankle biters were little. With the 2.0 engine it was a very impressive car, managing a number of trips to France from the north east for holidays. When the kids grew (as they tend to do) we traded it in for a Fiat Multipla, 15 years on we are on our third and my wife refuses to be parted from it. Ugly as, in facelift form, but so very, very practical.

Did have a 1.7 manual R5 Monaco a couple of years ago - a very quick car. Swapped it for my first XM.

Lovely! Looks the spit of one Mr wobbler owned some while back. There's a 5 Monaco near me used as a daily.

Aye. I was utterly stupid to get rid of that car. Fabulous seats and winning colour combination. Poor thing hasn't been on the road since 2012 by the look of it. 

Hope you can find some original-spec number plates to finish this one off Prab! Ace purchase.

if its a 1.7 i'll give it a lease of life if its the auto 1.4 its not for me!

It is indeed a 1.7 manual, being honest I really like it, the seats and colour swung it for me, so when I can finally get it to mine do the required welding and replace/refurbish the steering rack, I want to drive it and enjoy it for a while as I have never had a small hatchback on road, i would definately offer it on here though as I don't want a mong to get hold of it.

Lovely! I happen to know of one of these lurking under some bushes localy to me, i thnk it was parked up when it was replaced and it must have sat for near 10 years, however it might yeild some usefull parts of trim etc, let me know and i can enquire if you need any trim etc.

Will do mate thanks!