Ocean Ready - for Ocean Medallion

Wishing on a star

Is it even necessary or helpful to go in and complete the Ocean Ready???

It seems to be a third party site, and we have not even tried.

We will be sailing in an OM ready cabin,  but I really don't know if we want to do Ocean Ready.

I don't know if it would even be necessary or helpful.

I don't think I see anything from/at Princess suggesting that we do this?

In a word, yes. 

Necessary no,  but doing so may well save you some time during the boarding process. I did the online set up for wife and me and we blew right through the checkin process at the pier 

A nice feature is that you can add an avatar that will display on the Ocean Compass display screens around the ship rather than displaying your photo. We did that as part of the OR set up before we left home. Or ignore this part of the set up if you wish. 

You can also add  4 digit PIN that will be used at some point to secure access to your OM device should you lose it and it falls into the hands is a bad guy/gal. (I’ve elaborated on this in another post.) 

We are in the CB now and using the heck out of the system. 

Edited by Ep010835
  • Like 1

I don't know if it is required at this point, but having done it I can see how it would save a lot of time when you check in at the port. You will already have your "key card" (medallion), your passport has already been checked and recorded (through the app), your security photo has already been taken. The only thing left other than the security checkpoint would be to record your credit card number for your on-board account. If they are able to wrap that into the app (or in the official site check-in section) then you would only have to check your luggage, go through security and board the ship.

2 hours ago, BDRebel said:

I don't know if it is required at this point, but having done it I can see how it would save a lot of time when you check in at the port. You will already have your "key card" (medallion), your passport has already been checked and recorded (through the app) your security photo has already been taken. The only thing left other than the security cheeckpoint would be to record your credit card number for your on-board account. If they are able to wrap that into the app (or in the official site check-in section) then you would only have to check your luggage, go through security and board the ship. 

I added photos of our passports as the ap described. Even doing so, our passports were checked 3 times during the boarding process. My guess is that this OM component is not yet operational.   

I took photos of each of us as the app described and made them part of our individual profiles. First thing that happened when we set foot on the boat? We had our pictures taken. These onsite photos were added to our shipboard profiles. As it turned out, taking our own photos at home was a waste of time.

Although adding a credit card is not (yet?) part of the ap, we added our cc info to our booking before leaving home so were never asked to produce a cc during checkin/boarding  

I haven't had a chance to sail with it yet, only completed the registration within the app. My post was only meant as a note of what is possible given the technology. Hopefully they use it to its fullest potential, especially on the Regal before next April!😉

It’s my understanding that the CB is st present the only member of the fleet to be fully OM capable.  

I spoke with one of the senior OM staff last night here on the CB. She said she would be spending the day today on Regal (docked here with us) to assist with implementation of their OM system. 

Been hearing that Regal is next to come on line with OM. If I see her again tonight, I’ll ask about today’s progress. 

Much of what the OM device does can be done with the cruise card. This is true. Ordering a drink or paying for specialty food, for example, with either device is equally easy. Same with off/on at cruise ports. In fact, the current recommendation is to take the cruise card in addition to the OM device. Guess that speaks to their feelings during this roll out period!

I have not, do not, nor will I ever gamble on a cruise ship. Or anywhere else for that matter. But I have seen people around the ship using their cell phones to do just that. Can’t do that with a cruise card if you’re so inclined. 

I have to admit that I do like the hands-free feature of opening the cabinet door that the OM device provides.  It operates from about 6-8 feet away. Just enough time so as not to break stride while approaching the cabin door . I know, I know the boogie man may beat me to the door one day and rob me of all my dirty socks. This is a chance I’m willing to take and I’ve made peace with the potential consequences.  

My favorite features have to be “Find Me” and “Shipmates”. NOT features that’ are included with the cruise card. Never having been on the CB before this cruise, it took a couple of days to find my way around. The “Find Me” feature was incredibly useful in helping me get my bearings. Once you’ve “found yourself” the system will provide textual and graphic directions to any named point in the boat. I find that after 3 days I still use this from time to time. My wife and I both have OM devices so if we get separated either or both of us can go to an Ocean Ready display screen, log in and ask the system to find the other one. “Shipmates” will tell the inquiring party precicesly where to find the other person. Very, very useful. Also useful is the Restroons function. 

So, all of that having been said, use it or not. It’s entirely at the discretion of the passenger. The cruise card does what it always did. Put your OM device in the safe and forget about it if you choose and cruise as you’ve always done. No one will care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know, I know the boogie man may beat me to the door one day and rob me of all my dirty socks."

:classic_laugh:

"... can go to an Ocean Ready display screen, log in and ask the system to find the other one. “Shipmates” will tell the inquiring party precicesly where to find the other person."

:classic_blink: then I look like  :classic_unsure:  because Ocean Ready would rat me out as being behind the stage warming up with the dancing girls.. Nope I don't like this feature 

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

do you use OM to go on and off ship

For this purpose either the cruise card or the OM device will work. In this application they are completely interchangeable. Today in St Thomas my wife used her OM device and I used my cruise card. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

":classic_blink: then I look like  :classic_unsure:  because Ocean Ready would rat me out as being behind the stage warming up with the dancing girls.. Nope I don't like this feature 

This where a small piece of aluminum foil would come in handy. Just for the duration of the warm up, of course. 😎

• Like 1

Ep010835; thank you for the reply.  We will be on CB next Feb; and all this info is great to know.  Can't wait to use it myself.  Have a great cruise

Edited by AF-1
txt edit

37 minutes ago, c-boy said:

:classic_blink: then I look like  :classic_unsure:  because Ocean Ready would rat me out as being behind the stage warming up with the dancing girls.. Nope I don't like this feature 

Be sure to drop your medallion in a potted plant in the atrium on your way backstage. (posted for a friend😈)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I have to admit that I do like the hands-free feature of opening the cabinet door that the OM device provides.  It operates from about 6-8 feet away. Just enough time so as not to break stride while approaching the cabin door . I know, I know the boogie man may beat me to the door one day and rob me of all my dirty socks. This is a chance I’m willing to take and I’ve made peace with the potential consequences.  

I like to get up and have breakfast in the morning.  Mrs. XBGuy likes to sleep in.  So, I get up and go out the door.  However, I have been married long enough to know that I can never have too many "husband points" in my back pocket.  So, I bring breakfast back to her--Muffins or Croissants or Lox and Bagels and ice tea (she doesn't do coffee).  So, as often as not. I have my hands full when I get back to the cabin.  When I first read about the door-opening capability of the medallion system, I cheered.

I am with you about the concern that person registered on the other thread regarding the door opening from 8 feet away.  You're afraid that somebody is going to step in front of you and enter your cabin before you go in?  Why would even a stupid crook do that?  If he does, let him, hail a nearby steward and have him call for security.  If there is no steward handy, start screaming and pound on the doors of some nearby cabins.

My favorite features have to be “Find Me” and “Shipmates”. NOT features that’ are included with the cruise card. Never having been on the CB before this cruise, it took a couple of days to find my way around. The “Find Me” feature was incredibly useful in helping me get my bearings. Once you’ve “found yourself” the system will provide textual and graphic directions to any named point in the boat. I find that after 3 days I still use this from time to time. My wife and I both have OM devices so if we get separated either or both of us can go to an Ocean Ready display screen, log in and ask the system to find the other one. “Shipmates” will tell the inquiring party precicesly where to find the other person. Very, very useful. Also useful is the Restroons function. 

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, Ep010835.  Your posts have been very informative and helpful to those of us who have not experienced the medallion system.  I am going to ask a previous question again, but in a different way.

In the above you mention that you and your wife "can go to an Ocean Ready display screen, log in and ask the system to find the other one."  Am I correct in assuming that the Ocean Ready screen you mention is publicly available?  It appears that certain functions require that you identify yourself to this device--you have to "log in."  Am I reading this correctly?  There is a log in procedure performed right at the public Ocean Ready screen.  If that is the case, then, I would have to assume that in order to use the "locate my cabin" (whatever it's called) function would also require a log in--at that public device.  If I have this correct, that would certainly allay my concern about a unauthorized user being able to locate the cabin associated with a medallion that he happened to have.

I

So, all of that having been said, use it or not. It’s entirely at the discretion of the passenger. The cruise card does what it always did. Put your OM device in the safe and forget about it if you choose and cruise as you’ve always done. No one will care. 

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Ep010835; thank you for the reply.  We will be on CB next Feb; and all this info is great to know.  Can't wait to use it myself.  Have a great cruise

Sure thing. Happy to help. It seems kinda daunting but once you are on board and have spent an hour or so with it it will all fall into place. 

The security vulnerability as it exists today is potentially staggering and must be addressed by PCL 

Nothing any of us can do about that for now but to PROTECT THOSE OM DEVICES!!

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

> Am I correct in assuming that the Ocean Ready screen you mention is publicly available? 

Yes. It’s called an Ocean Compass display. Shown at the very top of the screen.  It’s easy to spot from a distance  it’s the vertically mounted screen with the ship displayed top to bottom on the screen.They can be found in almost every elevator lobby  

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

>It appears that certain functions require that you identify yourself to this device--you have to "log in."  Am I reading this correctly?

Correct. With your OM device.

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

> There is a log in procedure performed right at the public Ocean Ready Ocean Compass screen.  If that is the case, then, I would have to assume that in order to use the "locate my cabin" Stateroom (whatever it's called) function would also require a log in--at that public device.

Correct. With your OM device but NOT password protected  Anyobe can “be you” if they have your OM device in their possession.

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

>If I have this correct, that would certainly allay my concern about a unauthorized user being able to locate the cabin associated with a medallion that he happened to have.

Be careful with this one  take a look at my (sadly lengthy) post in the OCEAN MEDALLION thread for more detail. There is a serious security vulnerability  lurking here  

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

11 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Much of what the OM device does can be done with the cruise card. This is true. Ordering a drink or paying for specialty food, for example, with either device is equally easy. Same with off/on at cruise ports.

When returning to the ship in a port, first you must be able to enter the port area. In the past you showed your cruise card which identified what ship you were on and if it was the current voyage.

Can you now just show a Medallion which does not have this info or does the port (not Princess) require better identification than just a Medallion?

13 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

I added photos of our passports as the ap described. Even doing so, our passports were checked 3 times during the boarding process. My guess is that this OM component is not yet operational.   

Your passport will always need to be checked at least once.

a) To prove that you have it with you (or acceptable alternative on a USA closed loop cruise)

b) To prove (via the photo) that you are the owner of the passport

11 hours ago, caribill said:

When returning to the ship in a port, first you must be able to enter the port area. In the past you showed your cruise card which identified what ship you were on and if it was the current voyage.

Can you now just show a Medallion which does not have this info or does the port (not Princess) require better identification than just a Medallion?

Both yesterday in St Thomas and today in Antigua when wife and I entered the port area she displayed only her medallion, and I displayed only my cruise card. We were waved through. The second security point in both ports was the entry to the gangway  on the ship. Same thing. She displayed her medallion and I displayed my cruise card. In both cases above nothing more than a visual inspection done. The third and last security check upon actually setting foot on the boat, her medallion was scanned and her picture appeared on the security screen. My cruise card was scanned and my picture appeared on the security screen. 

Im guessing the Medallion is sufficient as it shows her name, the name of the ship and the embarkation date of the cruise. 

5 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

I'm guessing the Medallion is sufficient as it shows her name, the name of the ship and the embarkation date of the cruise. 

If you lose your Medallion and get a replacement, does the replacement also have this information on it?