Early Box Heaters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

found some interesting pics...

crown clamshel.jpg
denso.jpg

I might have a Hupp heater I will have to check and see what is in my 1958 FJ25. I did find a Denso clam-shell heater for mine after years of hunting.
Also, I noticed your FJ28 has the early front frame cross member bar. That changed on the FJ25's after 1959. So in 1960 it would be the new style on the 25's.

My other option was to purchase a Clayton Heater used in Land Rovers. Similar and brand new. Here is a pick.

Clayton Heater.JPG

I might have a Hupp heater I will have to check and see what is in my 1958 FJ25. I did find a Denso clam-shell heater for mine after years of hunting.
Also, I noticed your FJ28 has the early front frame cross member bar. That changed on the FJ25's after 1959. So in 1960 it would be the new style on the 25's.

My other option was to purchase a Clayton Heater used in Land Rovers. Similar and brand new. Here is a pick.

View attachment 2189563
Thanks, I’m still debating whether it’s worth adding a heater or not. Need to look and see if it’s ever had one. But if I came across the correct Hupp I’d probably grab it just in case. Keep me posted!

I found one this afternoon on eBay that looks fairly complete, we will see if it functions when I receive it. Cheap enough it was worth the gamble. These require an external switch of some kind I believe? Doesn’t look like this has one so I’ll have to keep an eye out for that as well. Or I could just hide one under the dash.

I found one this afternoon on eBay that looks fairly complete, we will see if it functions when I receive it. Cheap enough it was worth the gamble. These require an external switch of some kind I believe? Doesn’t look like this has one so I’ll have to keep an eye out for that as well. Or I could just hide one under the dash.

I almost bought that one. It looks restorable.

If that works or is fixable that’s a good buy. I paid a bit more for one over a year ago and I still haven’t got around to seeing if it works, lol. @oregon fj ended up with his Hupp install with a switch like this NOS Universal 12 Volt Heater Fan Switch Variable Speed Rotary Illuminated | eBay which I picked one up as well. Not sure he checks mud much anymore but he did a good search on the original switch to come up with this one. Not sure of originality-like to a FJ28 though. GL.

Last edited:
I do stop by occasionally. I can't vouch for the 'correctness' of that switch in all cases, but it is/was a direct match for the burnt out switch that was in my '64 when I bought it (seen hanging by its wires in the first picture). Close enough for me.

Before:

6fa383f2-874e-47ab-ab57-82264af40101-jpeg.1584393

After:

img_1344-jpg.1797379

Last edited:

Didn't realize there was more than one of those Nippon Denso heaters. Find it interesting that there are ports for defrost hoses yet wasn't until mid 62 they added defrost vents to the windshield frame.

View attachment 2189563

The front frame member change was mid 1960. Have a 1960 with early front frame member, cradle mount for the engine and tall toolbox/battery access.

Back in the nineties I throw one of those Rover heaters away. May 73 FST has a aftermarket A/C evaporator added under the dash and one of the heaters installed. Internet wasn't what it is today while I knew it was from a Rover did not know about the Nippon Denso heater. This was even before I owned a Land Cruiser that left the factory without a heater installed.

Thought I’d post this one up as it’s one not often talked about. I pulled this one out of one of my 25’s. It’s clearly very old, but there’s no telling when it was installed. I know the truck spent a lot of time early (if not originally) in its life in one of the Dakotas and thus the need for a heater. Appears to be a Harrison brand and has a very large core and is quite heavy compared to other aftermarket heaters of its era. It was mounted directly above the transmission hump (encouraging a PO to torch cut the hump for access instead of pulling the heater).
48213034-B0B5-404A-8137-EB92D6626084.jpeg
AF145636-83F2-4ED5-AD76-0AF548FFC49C.jpeg
F153468F-DA29-4D64-BB62-8965301505E1.jpeg
41D6A6A0-3BE8-4FBE-ABE3-0F5E176F2FF0.jpeg

Anybody have a good write-up for restoring a Hupp heater? Or some free time to restore one? :) I've got my hands pretty full with the a laundry list of restoration items for the 28L, and I've never restored a heater of any kind before so I'm up for outsourcing if anybody wants to give it a go. Shoot me a PM!

@Splangy

Harrisons came in chevys ... early heaters were clamshell style rounds

They show up on eBay and are very close in look to the denso... as well as Bosch and the Brit stufff like Clayton

That one is most likely 50’s

This is in my Australian 1963 fj45 any one recognise this unit.
View attachment 2205433

Can't help with heater check to see how your doing. Hopefully pretty well recovered from the spider bite. Opened up a package from OZ and out from a part a small red spider walked out. Couldn't get a good picture of it on the concrete with my phone and decided best to kill it instead of hoping I could find once I got a camera. Always watching "Only in Australia" videos. My wife has decided it some place who doesn't want to visit. She has no sense of adventure. :meh:

Thanks got over the bite all healed but my immune system went down and now my right ear is playing up lost 90% hearing. Tell your wife to not worry about visiting Australia it’s safe. I’ve been here 61 years and first time I’ve been taken out out by a spider or any Ozzie critter.
I got lucky getting the cruiser out fires went through the week after and would have roasted her.
Only in Australia where close to flooding now the whole east coast Is under flood alert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom