BARN FIND: 1929 Chrysler Model 70 Coupe

Guest Bob Hapeman

Guest Bob Hapeman

Recently acquired what I've been told is a 1929 Model 70 Coupe with rumble seat. The title notes it as a "Golfing Coupe". It has a 6 cylinder engine and has a spare tire on each running board. Wire wheels, two tone green and black paint. On the center of the dash there is the following: P102WH. The title notes the motor number as V12346 (where is this number located?). On top of the engine head are the numbers: "301977-1 Silverdome"

The previous owner believes this to be a low production number car. Any help would be appreciated as to what we've got in our shop. Getting its first bath since 1971 tommorrow. Thanks for any information.

post-87357-143139123719_thumb.jpg

post-87357-143139123736_thumb.jpg

post-87357-143139123752_thumb.jpg

post-87357-143139123768_thumb.jpg

1930 Chrysler Model 70 (Royal). Built in October of 1929. There were 3,135 made of the 4 passenger coupe. The engine number (V-12346) sounds about right. That is a very nice car and I am in love with it already. The badge in the center of the dash is the FEDCO plate and is the serial number of the car. Click on the image a few times to enlarge it. I believe that the engine number on that one would be on the front left (driver's) side of the block on a flat spot with numbers stamped into it.

post-37352-143139123783_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Golfing coupe refers to the little door on the right side of the car. This was known as a golf club door. I'm surprised to see it show up on the registration.

Golf club doors were usually found on coupes and roadsters with rumble seats. Yours is the rumble seat model, I can tell by the steps on the rear fender and the fact that the trunk handle is at the top. If you open the lid there is a little seat in there.

Guest Bob Hapeman
1930 Chrysler Model 70 (Royal). Built in October of 1929. There were 3,135 made of the 4 passenger coupe. The engine number (V-12346) sounds about right. That is a very nice car and I am in love with it already. The badge in the center of the dash is the FEDCO plate and is the serial number of the car. Click on the image a few times to enlarge it. I believe that the engine number on that one would be on the front left (driver's) side of the block on a flat spot with numbers stamped into it.

Thanks for the info. I found the block number (v12346) and it looks like the fedco# is P102WH . This car is titled as a 1929, is it common for a 1930 model to be titled as a 1929 ?. I understand it was built in October. Thanks again, Bob

Thanks for the info. I found the block number (v12346) and it looks like the fedco# is P102WH . This car is titled as a 1929, is it common for a 1930 model to be titled as a 1929 ?. I understand it was built in October. Thanks again, Bob

A lot of times in those days, a car was titled as the year sold. Therefore (for example), some 1929s are titled as 1930s and vice versa. It was that way for quite a few years. I think it depended on the dealership procedure.

Guest Bob Hapeman
The silver head is the standard head for the car -i.e. not high compression. The trunk isfroma sedan, otherwise the car looks very stock and correct. Often cars in thisera had only 1 driving light. Great find! The 70 indicates the series and also the horse power.

Thanks for the info.

Guest Bob Hapeman
The silver head is the standard head for the car -i.e. not high compression. The trunk isfroma sedan, otherwise the car looks very stock and correct. Often cars in thisera had only 1 driving light. Great find! The 70 indicates the series and also the horse power.

Thanks for the info., I am a car enthusiast with a 1964 chevelle ss in the paint shop and a vintage circle track car we race regularly ,this car kinda came to me and I am undecided what to do with it . Is there a good source to put a value on my car, where would i start.not in any big hurry. thanks for all the input. Bob

Guest Bob Hapeman
A lot of times in those days, a car was titled as the year sold. Therefore (for example), some 1929s are titled as 1930s and vice versa. It was that way for quite a few years. I think it depended on the dealership procedure.

Thanks for the info., I am a car enthusiast with a 1964 chevelle ss in the paint shop and a vintage circle track car we race regularly ,this car kinda came to me and I am undecided what to do with it . Is there a good source to put a value on my car, where would i start.not in any big hurry. thanks for all the input. Bob

NADA old car value guide puts value of this car at $8450/$14,200/$24300, for the latter being a show car, so to speak. You can look it up on the NADA classic guide on internet.

It's a neat car, I think the value as it sits, assuming no major mechanical issue (i.e. no cracked block) would be in the $8000 to $10000 range, with the higher price finding just the right buyer who had to have the car.

Just my opinion, since you asked.

Guest Bob Hapeman
NADA old car value guide puts value of this car at $8450/$14,200/$24300, for the latter being a show car, so to speak. You can look it up on the NADA classic guide on internet.

It's a neat car, I think the value as it sits, assuming no major mechanical issue (i.e. no cracked block) would be in the $8000 to $10000 range, with the higher price finding just the right buyer who had to have the car.

Thanks for your opinion, and the information.

I agree.

Guest prs519

Now there is a car with PERSONALITY! Congrats and thanks for the pics. I like the way the roof line falls offf contrary to the straight rectangle of the rear window.

Does anyone know the name of the color of this car? If looks an awful lot like my '29 Plymouth U Roadster...I think mine is called Ardsley Green, but I've never seen any color chips to know and verify if that's the correct name or not...

Does anyone know the name of the color of this car? If looks an awful lot like my '29 Plymouth U Roadster...I think mine is called Ardsley Green, but I've never seen any color chips to know and verify if that's the correct name or not...

Looks like maybe "Haig Green" body and "Bolling Green" beads and moldings by the chart on this site.

Color Chip Selection

Guest Bob Hapeman

Hello, I don't have a clue as to the name of the green paint. It seems to have deterioted faded and flaked off, unlike the black and dark green thats on the car. Do you have a clue if this is original or added at some point later on. thanks, Bob

Without standing next to it to really check out the paint it will be hard to tell if it is original....or the original colors. The way to tell is to try and get a copy of the build card from Chrysler Historical Services. They can send you the card that has the original destination and other good information on it.

She is beautiful as is. Clean it up, repair mechanical issues and drive her! Nothing so sweet as an original car. I have always thought a nice HPOF should have a 20% - 50% premium attached to it. Like it has been said many times, you can restore them many times, but they can be original only once.

This car slept for all these years, mostly untouched. Wipe the sleep out of her eyes and welcome her into the light.

Guest Bob Hapeman
Without standing next to it to really check out the paint it will be hard to tell if it is original....or the original colors. The way to tell is to try and get a copy of the build card from Chrysler Historical Services. They can send you the card that has the original destination and other good information on it.

Thnks for the info. , we are going to look into that...

Guest Bob Hapeman
She is beautiful as is. Clean it up, repair mechanical issues and drive her! Nothing so sweet as an original car. I have always thought a nice HPOF should have a 20% - 50% premium attached to it. Like it has been said many times, you can restore them many times, but they can be original only once.

This car slept for all these years, mostly untouched. Wipe the sleep out of her eyes and welcome her into the light.

That seems to be the plan. gonna start cleaning it up and have a mechanic buddy coming over to take a look sometime in the next couple weeks..

Bob, is it possible to get some photos of the interior floor mat, rumble seat flooring and running board flooring - the car looks really original. Also, is there an air cleaner on the carburetor? Thanks Tom

Guest Bob Hapeman
Bob, is it possible to get some photos of the interior floor mat, rumble seat flooring and running board flooring - the car looks really original. Also, is there an air cleaner on the carburetor? Thanks Tom

Just got in from out of town will post some interior pics. sunday, Yes carb. has air cleaner. Thanks, Bob

Guest Bob Hapeman

Jim, that is really nice lookin, What is the tire and wheel comb. What year is the coupe pictured, I have washed my '29. and am starting to do a light clean on the chrome. It really needed the bath. Will post more pics. soon. Thanks, Bob

attachment.php?attachmentid=1592182&d=1331952150

Bob,

My signature picture is of a 1932 or 1938 Ford coupe owned by Rick in Cincinnati that he sold

to a collector in Japan - very nice steel bodied rod done in the 60's using original

new (old parts) ...

I took that to Long Beach, CA where I met the excited and appreciative new owner.

Rick then bought this frame off restoration that had less than 5000 miles on it

that I brought back from Long Island, NY.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)