1958 (I think) Mercury - but what model?

Steve Hagy

I am thinking that it is a 'Metalist.' An unusual car but not necessarily for commercial/government use. 

1958 was supposed to be a banner year. Mercury offered the Monterey, Montclair, and Parklane series. All rather expensive. Then the recession hit and the market dropped for middle-priced and expensive cars. To survive Mercury began offering a very cheap loss-leader car, the Metalist. It was made cheap by removing the second molding along the side and using only the older Y-block engine (not the new MEL 383-430 design) but also Metalist cars use a column shift transmission in place of Mercs pushbutton controls. 

Anything to try to price compete in a very down market. 

Introduced (cobbled together?) in January, they did not create a Metalist script for it. Some printed material doesn't even use the Metalist name, rather calling it by its body codes  58C or 64C(?)  Could be wrong on this detail - my books are at home. 

3801523391_eee184a300_b.jpg

mer58mst-e1404015204629.jpg

• Like 1

Introduced for 1956, dropped for 1957, returned (temporarily) for 1958, then gone forever...

Not the best-sounding model name. Difficult to spell, has hard "T" ending, doesn't bring to mind beautiful places or images. 

• Like 1