For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop - "Very original, Enjoyable to drive" - Hagg Lake, OR - Not Mine - 6/14, 3/3/23, 11/13/22 & 5/18 Reduced

For sale on Craigslist: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop in Hagg Lake, OR  -  $25,000  -  From 5/8 relist: No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Craigslist's email to: 50fb4dcb4b3d36999e2321c1033827e7@sale.craigslist.org

On 5/18, Seller reduced price to $24,000 and relisted

On 6/22, Seller relisted at same price, $24,000

On 7/26, Seller relisted at same price, $24,000

On 11/13, Seller reduced price to $21,000 and relisted

On 3/3/23, Seller reduced price to $19,500 and relisted

On 6/14/23, Seller reduced price to $18,500 and relisted

Link to 10/27 relist (same): https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/gaston-1955-chrysler-imperial-two-door/7681326952.html

Seller's Description:

1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 99,000
  • paint color: custom
  • title status: clean

Nice driver/local show quality 55 imperial. This car has been dry stored for decades in a concrete floored shop. I have taken it to several local cruise in events and it always gets attention.

• The factory hemi runs fine, and the transmission shifts good. The next steps in this car will be a complete tune up including a carb rebuild and a freshening up of the brake system as the car pulls to the right. I cruised it this summer but we will say it's safe to drive onto your trailer for safety reasons.
  • Body has a few scrapes and dings but nothing serious. The car is very solid in the floors, trunk, cowl, window channels, etc. There is some rust through behind the tires underneath the car on both sides.
  • Cash price is $25,000.00. I own other classic mopars and this car compliments them well and is enjoyable to drive. For any less it will remain here.

I will say again, plan to do a full tune up, carb rebuild and address the brakes. Please view all photos provided.

image.png.af1213badae73a150d4d1006ae34b05c.png

image.png.7a107b923d0718043df712bcec27ce6b.png

image.png.2664194625278236a6f90f13a41e1d46.png

image.png.64bca57503d7e74c193a50fecff0ece2.png

image.png.d88c7b5564a607d4d928be12f7b8cca8.png

image.png.eb3ace33b3ea5aea654dec860071d5d7.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update info & price (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hagg Lake is about 15 or 20 minutes from me.

I cant say that I have ever known this car but I was approached by an old guy at the FG concourse many years ago that told me that he had Chryslers and one of them was similar to mine. I was driving it that day and my 56 is very similar, but no pink.

It kinda remember he may have pointed in that direction when we were talking.

IM002158.JPG

IM002161.JPG

• Like 2

Looks like a nice car, but price way too high for the sorting it will need.  It's interesting to me that the dash in this top-of-the-line Imperial seems quite plain -- not too different from the '55 Plymouth we had when I was growing up.  I would have expected something a little fancier for this type of car.

• Like 1

I would have to inspect those "rust through issues underneath behind the rear tires" myself before I gave this car any serious consideration. IMO all the running, driving & stopping issues should be addressed by the seller before he asks $25 grand for a car that will drive safely onto a trailer. If this car compliments all the other classic Mopars he owns so well he should just keep it and have it remain in his fantasy world. 

• Like 2

Since it was so long ago that I (think) met this guy I might suspect that he would not be with us anymore as he was much older than I.

Could be last ditch effort to clear his stuff, or a family unloading.

Or, it might not even be the guy that I am thinking about.

I always liked the bolted on taillights, many don't. I have an extra pair on my knick knack shelf. No longer have the 56 Imperial.

Nice car, but as the seller points out, it does have issues to be sorted out. If I was in his position, I would have the carb rebuilt and give it a tune up before I asked for all the money. I would do the brakes also just to make the car safe to drive. Just an opinion. I would reserve comment on the color, as I really like strawberry ice cream. 

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2022 at 7:05 PM, The 55er said:

The back seat upholstery is correct and the front seat should look like the back seat.

After doing some research I'm going to revise my previous statement and say the back seat pattern is correct but those brown inserts should be the Imperial brocade cloth instead of leather or vinyl. Also the lower part of the interior door panels used the same cloth as the seats so they're not exactly correct either. As for the top color, I can't find the "rose" shade in any of my chips but maybe it originally was the Canyon Tan color that has aged or faded. I think the colors look great on the car and I wouldn't change them. Those unmistakeable taillights along with the big cast Chrysler 300 grilles with the chrome eagle between them are what sets the car off from all the other mid-fifties cars IMO. It's one very elegant classy looking ride.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I see the "Dessert Sand" on the chip chart, but am I missing the "rose" colored upper? I'm a little surprised at how much I like this combo.

It is a good-looking color combination.

Imperial was a separate make in 1955, so maybe

paint manufacturer Ditzler had a separate sheet

for 1955 Imperials.  I've seen other paint manufacturers,

other years, showing that Imperial had some colors

different from Chrysler's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The 55er said:

After doing some research I'm going to revise my previous statement and say the back seat pattern is correct but those brown inserts should be the Imperial brocade cloth instead of leather or vinyl. Also the lower part of the interior door panels used the same cloth as the seats so they're not exactly correct either. As for the top color, I can't find the "rose" shade in any of my chips but maybe it originally was the Canyon Tan color that has aged or faded. I think the colors look great on the car and I wouldn't change them. Those unmistakeable taillights along with the big cast Chrysler 300 grilles with the chrome eagle between them are what sets the car off from all the other mid-fifties cars IMO. It's one very elegant classy looking ride.

imp55int.jpg

• Like 3

I thought the cast grille was from the Imperial loaned to the 300, not the other way around.  I can handle the weird Exner free standing taillights.  But few of us love them.  I am a big Exner fan overall as I love guys that stir the pot and shake things up, but he was an excessive sort.  Where Harley Earl's slogan was "go all the way, then back off,"  Exner seemed to say "go all the way, then go some more!"  

I can't stand the free standing headlights from 1961-1963, but I love the 1963 taillights, brought back to the rear quarter.  

• Haha 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop - "Very original" - "Enjoyable to drive" - Hagg Lake, OR - Not Mine - 5/18 Reduced
  • 3 months later...

On 11/13, Seller reduced price to $21,000 and relisted.

Link: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/7556914105/1955-Chrysler-Imperial

Seller's Description:

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 99,000
  • paint color: custom
  • title status: clean

Nice driver/local show quality 55 imperial. This car has been dry stored for decades in a concrete floored shop. I have taken it to several local cruise in events and it always gets attention. The factory hemi runs fine, and the transmission shifts good. The next steps in this car will be a complete tune up including a carb rebuild and a freshening up of the brake system as the car pulls to the right. I cruised it this summer but we will say it's safe to drive onto your trailer for safety reasons. Body has a few scrapes and dings but nothing serious. The car is very solid in the floors, trunk, cowl, window channels, etc. There is some rust through behind the tires underneath the car on both sides. Cash price is 21,000.00. I own other classic mopars and this car compliments them well and is enjoyable to drive. For any less it will remain here. I will say again, plan to do a full tune up, carb rebuild and address the brakes. Please view all photos provided.

image.png.b69eeade3c8577890584235ba37c9b7f.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop - "Very original, Enjoyable to drive" - Hagg Lake, OR - Not Mine - 11/13 & 5/18 Reduced

Almost a year ago, the seller wrote, "Cash price is $25,000.00...

I own other classic mopars and this car compliments them well

and is enjoyable to drive.  For any less it will remain here."

We can see through his bluff.  The car is NOT enjoyable to drive,

because it doesn't run well and, he says, is safe just to drive onto

the trailer.

Now he repeats his statement with a lower price:  "Cash price is 21,000.00.

I own other classic mopars and this car compliments them well and is

enjoyable to drive.  For any less it will remain here."

We wish him well;  but he needs to be more flexible, especially

with the rust he mentions.  "For any less it will remain here" sounds

unrealistic once again, and is a sure way to cut down on interest!

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop - "Very original, Enjoyable to drive" - Hagg Lake, OR - Not Mine - 3/3/23, 11/13 & 5/18 Reduced

On 6/14/23, Seller reduced price to $18,500 and relisted  -  From 6/14 relist: No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Craigslist's email to: 91293cb58bd03b2c83da4c0d76318663@sale.craigslist.org

Link to 9/4 relist (same price, $18,500): https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/gaston-1955-chrysler-imperial-two-door/7662268922.html

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update info (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop - "Very original, Enjoyable to drive" - Hagg Lake, OR - Not Mine - 6/14, 3/3/23, 11/13 & 5/18 Reduced
  • 3 months later...

On 10/27, 

Seller relisted on Craigslist for same price, $18,500  -  No phone # provided, again. Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to: 1311fc8cc3e239c59415f5cf71208d30@sale.craigslist.org

Link: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/gaston-1955-chrysler-imperial-two-door/7681326952.html

Seller's Description:

Nice driver/local show quality 55 imperial. This car has been dry stored for decades in a concrete floored shop. I have taken it to several local cruise in events and it always gets attention. The factory hemi runs fine, and the transmission shifts good. The next steps in this car will be a complete tune up including a carb rebuild and a freshening up of the brake system as the car pulls to the right. I cruised it this summer but we will say it's safe to drive onto your trailer for safety reasons. Body has a few scrapes and dings but nothing serious. The car is very solid in the floors, trunk, cowl, window channels, etc. There is some rust through behind the tires underneath the car on both sides. Cash price is 18,500.00. I will say again, plan to do a full tune up, carb rebuild and address the brakes. Please view all photos provided.

image.png.e60a392ba83c2156fc5ed44c1db66403.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 Chrysler Imperial 2-door Hardtop - "Very original, Enjoyable to drive" - Hagg Lake, OR - Not Mine - 6/14, 3/3/23, 11/13/22 & 5/18 Reduced