Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default 64 GTO parchment interior

Does anybody have a parchment interior car? What is black and what is white? carpet? headliner? seat belts? door panels? Is the dash suppose to be 2 tone flat maroon upper semi gloss white bottom? Does anybody have pictures?

Thank you!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll save John some typing. He emailed me this information a while back regarding Parchment Interiors and accent colors. Some of the info is specific to a Silvertmist Gray Exterior (my car's original color). You'll have to sift through this to get what you need.

"My main reference to answer your question is the Tempest Inspector's Guide. But it is dated Dec. 19, 1963, incorporated all Engineering Releases to that point. Obviously, things could have changed a little further into the year.

With respect to the Parchment interior, however, I don't think so. There is a whole page devoted to the component colors to be used with each Exterior Color (lower body color, if two tone option) when Parchment Trim code 219 was ordered for a Lemans (does not apply to the Tempest or Tempest Custom Model Series).

For the Parchment Trim code 219, the Upper Instrument Panel was painted to coordinate with the exterior lower body color. Generally speaking, the Upper Instrument Panel was always zero gloss, while the Lower Instrument Panel was Gloss. Consequently, the Instrument Panel will always look "two tone" even when both Upper & Lower are same color. The effect is less obvious with a Black interior as compared to some of the interior colors.

For the 15 standard exterior colors, the Lemans used 6 zero gloss Upper Instrument Panel Colors.

They were:
Velvet Black
Admiral Blue
Carib Aqua
Burgundy
Valley Green
Mocha Brown

The Instrument Panel Bezel in all cases was painted the same color as the Upper Instrument Panel.

The color chip list you are looking at may or may not use the same color names, but presumably the colors listed will "match" to this list in an obvious way.

In all cases, the Lower Instrument Panel was painted Parchment. The Steering Column Bezel was always Parchment. Carpeting on the Floor & Lower Door Panels always Black. Cowl Panel Assemblies and the Package Shelf & Valence always Black too.

For Silvermist Gray (paint code D), the Upper I.P. and Bezel were supposed to be zero gloss Velvet Black. Steering wheel should be Starlight Black (unless Custom Wheel was ordered). If the optional Instrument Panel Pad was installed, it should be Velvet Black.

Steering Column Jacket & Direction Signal Housing were color coordinated to the Upper I.P. color, but gloss. In your case, Starlight Black.

The Radio Front Speaker Grille should be same as the Upper I.P., in your case Velvet Black.

The Headlining Material was an Astral pattern vinyl covered fabric. The Lemans interior for the Saddle & Parchment interior color Trim both used the Parchment color Headlining material."

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

This is awesome info

My car exterior is grenedier red so would the upper dash be burgundy?
Door panels white with black carpet on bottom?
What are Cowl Panel Assemblies and Valence
Steering column Black?
Seat belts?
headliner white?
My front speaker is part of the upper dash

Thank you!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't see many White/Parchment interior 64's.
Only seen a Black car personally from memory.

Deciphiring John's post -

Burgandy on upper dash , plastic dash bezel surround
Burgandy Gloss on steering column upper sections, steering wheel

Black - metal section of package tray at lower rear window (valance) , kick panels , floor carpet , door panel carpet , plastic sides of console , seat belts , package tray material , { inner windshield posts (cowl) - confirm }

White/Parch - lower dash , lower steering column filler at dash , sunvisors , headliner , rear earmuffs , plastic welt trim around front and rear glass , interior side panels , arm rest cushions

{the metal on upper doors - upper quarters of interior .... research that and check color remnants on car }
{check all existing original remnants}

Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy30006 View Post
This is awesome info

My car exterior is grenedier red so would the upper dash be burgundy?
Door panels white with black carpet on bottom?
What are Cowl Panel Assemblies and Valence
Steering column Black?
Seat belts?
headliner white?
My front speaker is part of the upper dash

Thank you!
I would guess that a Grenadier Red car would have the Burgundy upper instrument panel. I believe the A post interior pillars would be white. I'm just guessing though.

1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd vote that too Rex.
White A pillars on interior (windshield posts)

He probably was trying to say stop the Burgandy break at lower windshield channel (top of cowl).

I have a Red Interior 4 door 64 Tempest parts car if anything on it could be of any help somehow or some where.
And same thing again except Blue interior.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

Remy:

I can shoot you some pictures tomorrow if you still need them. I should have paint codes for most of these paint colors. However, the paint was in lacquer (DuPont products), and you might be able to cross reference to a non-lacquer product. Let me know if you would like these codes.
For Grenadier Red (VV) and a white interior (219), the following should be considered:

Top dash in Maroon - flat
Dash Pad - Mocha Brown
Lower dash in Parchment - semi gloss
Top of doors, quarters, & A pillar in Parchment - semi gloss
Steering column - red turning to 30 degree black under dash
Steering column bezel - parchment
Steering wheel - vivid red
Door panel lower carpet and floor carpet - black
Package shelf - black
Headliner - Astral Parchment
Sunvisors - Astral Parchment
Seat belts - black
Arm rests - parchment
Side windlace - parchment
Kick panels - black

Last edited by JAKE 64; 05-26-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 GTO interior pic

Maybe this will help some?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 GTO Sunfire Red Wrecking Yard.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	365050  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Maybe this will help some?
Is that your car? Survivor? The steering column looks to be black.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not my 64.

Just as pic title states - wrecking yard GTO in Sunfire Red with Parchment Interior.

I think JAKE 64 has it spelled out correctly. The pic is low quality and dark, but the steering column I'm sure is a dark red just as the upper dash looks to be.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Not my 64.

Just as pic title states - wrecking yard GTO in Sunfire Red with Parchment Interior.

I think JAKE 64 has it spelled out correctly. The pic is low quality and dark, but the steering column I'm sure is a dark red just as the upper dash looks to be.
Cool, thanks.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry if I missed something, but were White and Parchment each offered in '64? Our host and Ames only list Parchment for '65 and up. The seats we just had done on my wife's '64 are white (slightly ivory-colored).

We're really pleased with the quality workmanship by United Auto Trim of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin on these seats. The job was pricey, but likely never will have to be redone!

I also attached a "before" picture with the '65 covers and but didn't get a picture of the rusty frames and rotted burlap.

We realize the dash & other parts of the interior are not "correct" for white seats & door panels. We prefer the Aqua color on the trim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nancy's Seats 001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	365092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy's Seats 003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	365094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy's Seats 006.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	365095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy's Seats 005.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	365096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy's GTO 001.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	365097  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, PMD called it Parchment in '64, not white. I don't know '65s as well but I think I've heard that the '65 Parchment was perhaps more off white than in '64, perhaps why you've asked the question.

Jake, the Inspector's Guide says the Instrument Panel Pad used with Grenadier Red was Burgundy, not Mocha Brown.

Also the Steering Wheel colors are listed for "Deluxe" or "Custom". I've never been quite sure why since the Lemans got the Deluxe Steering Wheel as standard equipment and the Custom Wheel was the wood wheel.

For most exterior color/Parchment interior combos, it doesn't matter, only one steering wheel color listed.

But for a couple there are 2 colors listed.

Grenadier Red is one of these, it says "Guard Red or Belmar Red". The MPC lists a Red & a Burgundy Deluxe Wheels used for Parchment interiors.

This gets even more difficult to translate.

Grenadier Red shows a Guard Red Directional Signal Housing and also Steering Column Jacket.

Marimba Red lists the steering wheels as "Burgundy or Belmar Red" but only Burgundy for the Directional Signal Housing and also Steering Column Jacket.

Sunfire Red only shows a Burgundy Steering Wheel and Burgundy Directional Signal Housing and also Steering Column Jacket.

So I have no idea if there was a choice of steering wheel colors but specific colors for the Directional Signal Housing and also Steering Column Jacket.

And why three different steering wheel color names but only two in the MPC?

The Guard Red color seems to be specifically different from the Burgundy color. The upper IP and speaker grille for Grenadier Red are listed as Burgundy. And the pieces I mentioned above in Guard Red are only identified for use with Grenadier Red.

I think the paint codes are in the Inspector's Guide too.

Sorry to add some questions to the mix.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

Jake,
I would love the codes and translations for Grenedier red with parchment. Thank you!

Is this the general consensus then?

Top dash in Maroon - flat
Dash Pad - Maroon flat
Lower dash in Parchment - semi gloss
Top of doors, quarters, & A pillar in Parchment - semi gloss
Steering column - red turning to 30 degree black under dash
Steering column bezel - parchment
Steering wheel - red
Door panel lower carpet and floor carpet - black
Package shelf - black
Headliner - Astral Parchment
Sunvisors - Astral Parchment
Seat belts - black
Arm rests - parchment
Side windlace - parchment
Kick panels - black

Attached is a picture of my interior now and its gloss not flat but the tops of the doors and the a pillars are maroon as well as the top of the dash. obviously it has been redone but they must have had the previous paint to pattern it. Could this be right? Also the steering column is all black (transplant)?

Also what is astral?

Thank you everybody!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

oops here is the picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	365246  

Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Astral is the pattern on the headliner and sunvisors.

The picture that 60sstuff posted looks to be the untouched gospel.
Would trust it completely.
Hard to find a 64 White interior that hasn't had liberties taken with it.
There are 2 on ultimategto Red/White - they both have had some liberties.

I have had two 64 padded dashes over all the years.
Both out of Red Interior cars - and they both were a deep dark maroon.

I pulled the 2 upper painted collar pieces of the steering column out of the 64 Tempest Custom parts car today. I might still have the steering wheel from that car too.
These pieces are factory paint and dark maroon/burgundy in color.
Will try to post close ups pics of them tomorrow.

Dash Bezel surround is same/similar shade and in good shape as far as i can tell.

I think your wheel would be burgundy.
As similar as possible to the column color.
But not necessarily exact match.
60's picture shows burgundy under the red wrapper.

Factory paint sheens on stationary metal interior take on about 1 more notch of sheen than average air dry.
They bake their lacquer finishes at about 250-350 degrees.

I can look at the car again in the next few days and see if the lower dash and door tops seem semi or full gloss.

Flat
Egg Shell
Matte
Semi-Gloss
Gloss

Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Senior Chief

The one thing Im wondering about is in 60sstuffs picture the exterior is sunfire red not Grenedier and it looks like other color combos have the upper doors and a pillars the same as the upper dash could it be different for grenedier as opposed to sunfire?

this is awesome info thank you everybody for the help!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As per the Inspector's Guide, I think Grenadier Red steering wheel, steering column jacket, and directional signal housing were likely supposed to be Red, not Burgundy and this WAS different compared to Sunfire Red & Marimba Red with Parchment.

All 3 red exterior color choices used the Burgundy for the Upper I.P.. I.P. Bezel, Lower I.P., and Speaker Grille.

But I believe the Grenadier Red did differ from the other two for the steering wheel, steering column jacket, and directional signal housing and should be Red, not Burgundy. Would be great to find somebody with an untouched Parchment original and Grenadier Red exterior. I can't imagine any other explanation for what appears in the Inspector's Guide.

I do not think the Grenadier Red changed the upper door or A pillar painting scheme. Guide says Parchment regardless of exterior color.

Here is a ratty Parchment interior in Blue. I think steering wheel is wrong and I think the arm rest covering is gone, but the upper doors and A pillars are white as expected.

There have been a few threads here that discuss the paint finish of the Upper I.P.

It isn't just that it is 0 deg gloss, it apparently has a "suede" like texture to it. You might want to search for those threads in this forum. Isn't just for Parchment, it is general for '64 Tempest Upper I.P.'s.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 Lemans GTO Parchment Interior 1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	365262  

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

For 1964

I made three errors in my Post No. 7. Using the same terminology used by remmy in Post No. 1, I used the term "white", in my third sentence, which was incorrect, as there was no white interior for the '64 LeMans. I should have used the term "Parchment" throughout. (I recall looking at a white interior of a brand new Charger in '70 or '71. To this day, it remains the most striking interior I have yet to observe. It makes the '64 Parchment interior look yellow, sun-bleached, and drab in comparison.)

As rexus 31 stated in Post No. 2, the different GM car divisions, for the most part, had their own name for the same paint colors. I don't know how the system works that the various paint stores use to refference the same paint colors used by each GM division. I should have included a comment that my "maroon" (actually Dark Maroon) was the name used by the store to identify the required match for the burgundy used on the upper dash.

The dash pad on the car was in excellent condition, and required no conditioning other than cleaning when I restored the car. I have confirmed this color against other similarly oufitted cars for nearly 30 years. When matched against the adjoing burgundy upper dash, the pad looks brown. I went out this morning to do one more check. When holding a flashlight on an angle, I could see the slightest hints of a burgundy tint. What I believed all these years to be the Mocha Brown pad is actually burgundy. So, for the V-219 combo go with the burgundy dash pad.

Here are the codes of the interior paints that I used. Keep in mind that these paints were used 20+ years ago, and being lacquer, will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find. The following was printed on the cans:

Pontiac Interior
Color - Light Fawn
9000L

GM Interior
Code WA-2668
Color - Dark Maroon
4431L

Each can will also provide the tinting guides on a separate label affixed to the can. If you need these, I can also provide.

When it comes to the cars, I tend to throw nothing away (which is starting to become a liability). I could not find the paint can I used on the steering column. If it was left at the shop, it could be anywhere, if still existant. The paint color I used was close to the Grenadier Red. It definately was not a burgundy (but then again, I thought my pad was brown).

Old 05-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake I had a similar experience around '73. Hitched a ride, guy picked me up in a brand new 2nd gen Firebird. Couldn't tell you the year, I had only just begun getting into Pontiacs. It had a white interior and dazzled me. I had nothing to compare it to, just remember how bright it seemed to look.

On the paint codes, I once came across a document that indicated which paint vendor was supplying many of the GM Plants in '64. My recollection was that the Pontiac Plant was supplied by Dupont, though I really don't remember specifics or what other Plants were noted, they weren't all Pontiac Plants IIRC.

Anyway, the Inspector's Guide gives what I think are the Dupont formula codes. The additional code info was pulled from Dupont literature, matched up by the formula code from the I.G.

Burgundy Upper is 863-56569, this is also GM W code 5668 and also code 4431-LH and called Dark Maroon Metallic - Flat by Dupont.

Parchment is 864-77991, this is also GM W code 2921 and also code 9000-L and called Parchment - Semi-Gloss by Dupont.

Guard Red (signal housing & column jacket for Grenadier Red) is 864-95563, this is also GM W code 2947 and also code 9016-LH and called Medium Red - Semi-Gloss by Dupont.

Burgundy (signal housing & column jacket for Sunfire Red & Marimba Red) is 863-94969, this is also GM W code 2668 (note same W code as the flat version, might have used a different letter code prefix but not noted by my reference) and also code 94969-H and called Dark Maroon Metallic - Semi-Gloss by Dupont.