paint for 8N

Eman

My tractors are looking shabby and this is the year of painting. What are the proper colors for a 52 8N? I see many different shades of reds to almost orange and some of the grays look greenish. Is the gray supposed to be the same gray as the gray on the later blue and gray Fords? What paint holds up the best? Are the paints from Valspar any good or am I better off with a one step urethane witrh a hardener?

Eman........red is a "weak" color and many FADE to orange. Many find Rustolium "Sunrise Red" to be a superior long lasting match vermillion red.

As fer the sheetmetal, surprizingly enuff, 8N gray have a greenish tint. NOT PALE GRAY of later Ford tractors.

I recommend regular brush for the castiron RED. Castiron don't show brush strokes. And surprizingly enuff, I recommend short nappy 6-in rollers for the sheetmetal as the short nap does NOT show strokes and flows smooth as iff'n you spray painted.

Its yer tractor, paint enny color that pleases you ........Dell, the 20/20 painter (looks good at 20ft or 20mph)

Your New Holland dealer may have some of the correct gray. Mine does. Red, your choice. Sunrise red, Safety red by Rustoleum, or something else you might like.

The best paint color is one you like.

You have a number of choices to get there.

Order the paint from nnalert's & not worry about it. I've seen the paint on there rebuilds & it looks great.

I took tractor parts to the local PPG paint store & asked them to match it. I also took a part painted w/ Rustoleum Sunrise Red & told them that was the red I wanted if they could not find another match that I liked.

The gray was easy: it is labeled as Ford Tractor Gray, 31657. Exact match.

The red was a bit more difficult: OMNI AE 72266. Get this......it's labeled Ford Red & was used on the Torinos. Here is the kicker: it was an exact eye-ball match to the Rustoleum Sunrise Red.
valentinesday2011003.jpg

lights006.jpg

50 Tips

I always use four-inch foam rollers on the red stuff. Lowes carries thenm in a ten-pack. If the shop temp is high enough, it will flow out quite well, BUT you most use a good grade pf primer underneath for good adhesion and long life. I use U-Tech epoxy primer because we have a good dealer locally who can match any color you want. It's expensive but will adhere better and outlast almost anything else I know of. Comes off only with a grinder on properly prepared surfaces.

Unfortunately, if you want it to really look nice, all that sheetmetal must be sprayed. The best quality paint for a tractor is always urethane two-part paint. It will look goed fror as long as you keep the tractor. JMHO

Good Luck
Dave Erb
New Hollahd, PA

(quoted from post at 05:34:16 02/28/11)
My tractors are looking shabby and this is the year of painting. What are the proper colors for a 52 8N? I see many different shades of reds to almost orange and some of the grays look greenish. Is the gray supposed to be the same gray as the gray on the later blue and gray Fords? What paint holds up the best? Are the paints from Valspar any good or am I better off with a one step urethane witrh a hardener?

CNH2150 Rouge red is as close as I have found and holds up very well,,,its Farmall red how many Farmalls have you seen turn into pumpkins ,,, brush spray are how ever its a low cost good paint...

Gray,,, Tisco has a zack match,,, are if you want better Martin Senour M2J957,,, a zack match...

I don't like the bright orange reds,,, its yours paint it to your like'n...

Happen to notice on Bruce's great looking tractor that the bumper is mounted upside down, or am I wrong, Maybe his is Correct and mine is wrong.
a33351.jpg

You're correct; I got in the questionable habit of doing that on my worker N's because I wanted to get the grill open further for cleaning out corn leaves. No need to do that on the trailer queen though!
50 Tips

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back