When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 J.C. Higgins Christmas bike restore

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dr. Tankenstein

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey all,
I've been hanging around here for a while, even bought a few things off of forum members. I haven't done a 'restoration' before, but decided to do one on this 1956 J.C. Higgins. It appears in the Christmas catalog, page 349.
1956SearsChristmasBookpage349-1.jpg

Here's the bike, as received.
DSCF3628-1.jpg

I tried restoring the 'flamboyant metallic red' paint, but it was too far gone, so the frame/fork and tins are being stripped/media blasted.

My questions are with:
1. Wheelset/tires - per the catalog description, it should have an 'Air cooled JC Higgins coaster brake', however, mine is equipped with this Musselman. This, coupled with the 26 x 1.75 All States (vs. the balloon tires mentioned in the ad), lead me to believe that it's not the original wheelset.
image_zpse90a0960-1.jpg

Also, for a mid-fifties, medium trim level bike, are these the correct type of rims, or should they be drop centers? If they are correct, is it worth it to get them rechromed (doing the truss rods and bracket done any way) or are these easy to find in NOS or close shape?
image_zpsc1eb5a54-1.jpg

2. Tank graphics - Fortunately, the graphics are in good shape, I've had them scanned by a buddy who can silkscreen them for me. The colors are faded, but it looks like the 'Circle V' and slash marks are blue and silver but could be faded black and gold-color. and, again per the catalog, the tank is white with gold-color trim. Does anyone have any pictures of this bike in better or restored shape? Here's what I'm starting with..
DSCF3706_zpsf10b2185-1.jpg

I've picked up an NOS Wald stem and handlebars, some 'upgraded' coke bottle grips and some other small parts, I look forward to bringing this one back as a tribute to my dad, he's been gone for 20 years, but would have been 12 years old when this bike was being sold, I can only imagine him wishing he had found one under his tree on Christmas morning.

I appreciate any help and advice.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, I'm talking to a local body shop about spraying the candy apple red and white in automotive urethane.

Bicycle, thanks for the offer, I'll hit you up if I go that route.

One more thing, anyone know that this light is called or is it the artist's 'interpretation' of a Delta Rocket?? With my luck, it's probably the 'holy grail' of non-batwing Higgins lights..... :grin:

1956JCHigginslight-1.jpg

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Dr. T

I've seen that light before on ebay. I can't remember what model it was but it was made buy Delta. Im sure it was a off shoot of the rocket ray.

Attachments

• $T2eC16V,!)kE9s4,!!FsBRVzNl4okg~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16V,!)kE9s4,!!FsBRVzNl4okg~~60_57.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 210
The lite shows up in the higgins book part 6k5322 Did someone get this bike for christmas 1956 This bike is listed as a 1957,it may make a difference when looking for the lite.

Thanks for the part #, HIGGINSFOREVER, I'll start some interweb searches on it.

Here's the serial number info, from it, I was told it was a 56....but I'm still learning.
MOTS-V
MOD502 4584

Thanks for the part #, HIGGINSFOREVER, I'll start some interweb searches on it.

Here's the serial number info, from it, I was told it was a 56....but I'm still learning.
MOTS-V
MOD502 4584

The model numbers get a little crazy here.Page 120 of the higgins book shows your bike as a 1957 6k m4740 boys 26" Its the same as the picture you show.Also if you look at the bottom of the picture you have you will see m4584 same as your. bike so that part is right.But my book with same picture shows m4740 as a 1957

Last edited:
Scrounged pretty good on the bay... nutt'n on there now.. Have seen them there tho-

Back