The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
robertnfrappuls

69 Turquoise

Hello! I'm new to the world of 67-72 Chevy/GMC. I recently picked up a project truck - a 69 GMC 1500 in turquoise. When I bought it, I didn't realize that the 69 Turquoise was such an uncommon color.

Who has restored a turquoise interior? What did you do for replacement interior parts? I'll eventually need a dash pad, steering wheel, and a couple of plastic bits that go around the door handle/window crank. None of them seem to be reproduced in Turquoise. Is the best route just to wait and hope to find good originals?

69 GMC by BrianMcQueen, on Flickr
robertnfrappuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
beetle1960

Re: 69 Turquoise

Nice score..looks solid.
1970 Chevy C10 Fleet Long
1972 Chevy C10 Step long
1985 Chevy K10 Fleet Short
beetle1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Ive got a 70 longhorn that is the same color. I think its called med green on the glove box door spid label. It had no visors when i bought it. I bought a pair locally at a swap meet with one needing restitching, then I found a nicer pair on the parts board. My seat belts were in bad shape and i found them on the board as well. I also bought a grey dash pad that im going to try painting/ dying to match.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
clinebarger

I have a Turquoise/white top '69 CST/10 & has Turquoise/white listed in the SPID.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Yeah, good luck finding interior parts in that color. You can try the parts board, eBay, and swap meets, but it'll be tough. My '69 had a one year only navy interior, so I know how it goes. I ended up switching to black, and I'm very glad I did

You'll probably end up needing paint eventually, where you've got those black body panels, so maybe you can rethink the plans for the truck that include what exterior color you might have and what interior would go well, and be readily available
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
robertnfrappuls

Thanks. It is honestly a pretty solid truck except for some rust in the cab corners.

Wideside72, it's actually listed as turquoise on the SPID panel. Apparently it was a one year only color, which is why there aren't really repro pieces for it. I have entertained the idea of painting a dash pad, but I don't know how it would hold up.

Mister-B, I really like the turquoise, and will probably paint the truck the same color when I get to it. At the moment, I'm liking the patina. I wish the fenders didn't need a repaint.

If I do repaint the truck the same color, I'll probably keep the turquoise interior and give it a black dash pad, etc. An accent of sorts.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Dirt's72

Robert. I'm in the same boat as you. I picked up a 69 turquoise a few months ago. It has turquoise on the spid. Mine appears to have been painted blue some years back. Even everything on the inside. I just picked up turquoise seatbelts here on the forum that were real nice. Before that I got green and blue armrests. Really not sure what I'll do either. Now I have competition for turquoise colored parts. Lol. I did get rid of ralleys got some steel rims and correct chrome caps. Gonna keep it as original as possible. Has a 292 w/power glide. I did not know they came turquoise only one year.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertnfrappuls View Post
Thanks. It is honestly a pretty solid truck except for some rust in the cab corners.

Wideside72, it's actually listed as turquoise on the SPID panel. Apparently it was a one year only color, which is why there aren't really repro pieces for it. I have entertained the idea of painting a dash pad, but I don't know how it would hold up.

Mister-B, I really like the turquoise, and will probably paint the truck the same color when I get to it. At the moment, I'm liking the patina. I wish the fenders didn't need a repaint.

If I do repaint the truck the same color, I'll probably keep the turquoise interior and give it a black dash pad, etc. An accent of sorts.
Yep,you've got the '69-only/GMC-only 511 Turquoise Poly. I'm glad you're wanting to stick with the original interior color. You can search and be patient to fond the correct used parts. I think it would be foolish to dye good non-reproduced pieces to a commonly available color when you can have the correct dye mixed. For the steering wheel,you can get a good wheel and paint that with custom mixed paint. That's an awesome color combination...keep it! IMO,keeping these trucks in the original colors is the best way to go. They're all good

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

My '69 GMC Custom Camper "Longhorn" was an original Turquoise/white color combo and is listed on the spid that way. Years ago the exterior was painted white, but the interior has all the turquoise features in good shape. Somehow the steering wheel has faded into a weird blue color, but everything else looks good.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
WIDESIDE72

Heres mine. Rhe interior pieces look turquoise to me, the spid says green

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=519334

Does anyone know if this color was available in 71?
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
robertnfrappuls

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yep,you've got the '69-only/GMC-only 511 Turquoise Poly. I'm glad you're wanting to stick with the original interior color. You can search and be patient to fond the correct used parts. I think it would be foolish to dye good non-reproduced pieces to a commonly available color when you can have the correct dye mixed. For the steering wheel,you can get a good wheel and paint that with custom mixed paint. That's an awesome color combination...keep it! IMO,keeping these trucks in the original colors is the best way to go. They're all good
I was thinking more of repro parts for the black accents. How difficult is it to dye parts? I think it might be tough for the metallic turquoise. Would I need to start with white pieces in order to dye them?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
I was thinking more of repro parts for the black accents. How difficult is it to dye parts? I think it might be tough for the metallic turquoise. Would I need to start with white pieces in order to dye them?
I used vinyl interior paint with good results. Make sure the parts are clean and degreased, and use an adhesive promoter first. I'm with you. I think it'll be difficult to get interior vinyl paint to match. If you just get some regular spray paint whipped up to match as close as possible, you might likely wind up with looking like you have spray painted vinyl... that won't last very long. Maybe you can find some vinyl paint that'll match, or there's someone that can match it, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Besides, going with another factory color that's readily available comes far from making an individual foolish. It simply means you're going with a color the truck 10 behind yours got on the day it was built at the factory. You've heard both sides. It's your truck, and color is about a personal preference as it comes, so do what makes sense for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
low&slow
Account Suspended

I'm pretty sure I can help you out. I have a '69 original turquoise and the interior is about to be completely gutted. Send me a PM of what you're looking for and I'll see if it's still intact in my truck.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I'm pretty sure I can help you out. I have a '69 original turquoise and the interior is about to be completely gutted. Send me a PM of what you're looking for and I'll see if it's still intact in my truck.
Wow. What are the odds. Hey, OP, I suggest you buy a couple lottery tickets today, seeing as you've got the hot luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
robertnfrappuls

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Wow amazing! Thank you very much! I have sent a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Wow. What are the odds. Hey, OP, I suggest you buy a couple lottery tickets today, seeing as you've got the hot luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems like it. I should play all the numbers 69.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
clinebarger

Quote:
Yep,you've got the '69-only/GMC-only 511 Turquoise Poly.
Are you saying Turquoise is a GMC only color?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
data89

My "69 Chev C10 stepside was turquois. I went with white over red. The interior came with a black steering wheel and column, black dash and black bucket seats with a turquois center console/storage, which I will be getting re-done in black. The door panel inserts, where the crank handles are, are originally a dark blue with turquois bezels on the handles. The metal between the dash and the windshield is the dark blue. The rest of the interior is an off color white (looks like a touch of gray in it) and the "69 color chart just lists it as white (521). I'll be changing the interior to red with black for the wheel, column, and door panels. Oh yes, I have two turquoise visors I might try painting, don't know what color yet, I'd like to see some in other trucks first. I always thought my truck had been re-painted turquoise as it was white under the faded turquois and the turquois was like a poor metalic job. My information sticker on the dash door doesn't say what the color was, only blue vinyl trim. Where can I find the color listing?
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

My point earlier was simply,why dye a good piece of rare non-reproduced colored upholstery with a color that you can buy the vinyl in? You could probably sell that rare piece for more than what it would cost to replace with the common color and a dyed piece is inferior to a piece that is that color throughout. And,you'd be helping someone having trouble finding the rare color. That's how I look at it. I got the impression you wanted to stay with the original color,anyway. That's awesome you already have an offer for what you need. So much for "patience" and "searching". It found you...FAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Are you saying Turquoise is a GMC only color?
I was thinking it was a '69 GMC-only color,but I guess I had that confused with the '72 Terrace Blue that is GMC-only...may bad. '69 was a year for unique colors and all but one are shared between Chevy & GMC,which is unusual. I should have checked first.

As far as color matched dye goes,a quality automotive paint supply house can easily make a can of vinyl dye in any color you want to match exactly,either by code or by scanning. It isn't paint and will have the proper luster and flex characteristics for the application. Just tell them what it's for.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
clinebarger

Quote:
I was thinking it was a '69 GMC-only color,but I guess I had that confused with the '72 Terrace Blue that is GMC-only...may bad. '69 was a year for unique colors and all but one are shared between Chevy & GMC,which is unusual. I should have checked first.
Damn, You had me thinking I had something rare, I took pics, Might as well share.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Well,it's a color I never saw too much...anywhere. It seems the unique to '69 colors were also fairly rare to see. At least from my experience. Some '69 colors were carry overs from 67/68 that stopped in '69. '69 was a transition year in many ways.

Tim

Old 09-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
robertnfrappuls

Here is the SPID label. The vinyl interior for mine has a different code than clinebarger's. What is the difference? Also, what are the options that begin with 825x15x4? I can make sense of the rest of the options, but not these ones.

Note: I did a little photoshop work to make the label more readable.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Haggis

Yay more turquoise!

My 69 Chev C20 was a White-Turquoise/Turquoise combo originally too.

It will be a while as I'm getting the mechanical stuff done first before the body resto, but I'm going with a stock style two tone, but with white/aqua blue metallic from the 2010 Camaro, with a black/turquoise interior. Most of my turquoise interior pieces need replacing so I'm going two toned.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Here is the SPID label. The vinyl interior for mine has a different code than clinebarger's. What is the difference? Also, what are the options that begin with 825x15x4? I can make sense of the rest of the options, but not these ones.

Note: I did a little photoshop work to make the label more readable.
That code is the tires.

Tim

Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
clinebarger

Quote:
Here is the SPID label. The vinyl interior for mine has a different code than clinebarger's. What is the difference?
The White/Turquoise in my SPID is the Exterior color....Turquoise with a White top.

My Interior is listed as Turquoise Vinyl Custom, Its a CST so it does have different trim pieces than yours....Like vinyl wrapped door panels & a Head liner.
Attached Images