• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sahara Beige is Ugly

e21bob

I should have considered the color before I a 1974Tii in Sahara Beige. I think the color is rare and not attractive. I am considering either a different shade of beige or a different color. The car is ready to go to the paint shop. Has anyone painted a different shade of Sahara? If so please provide pictures.[/img][/url]

post-2674-136676580143_thumb.jpg

Personally, i like the earth tone cars; sahara, nevada, bristol.. If it were me and the car was worth anything, i'd keep it the original color, especially considering the cost of a paint job and the diminished value of a car painted a color other than what was original. Whatever you choose, good luck.

• Like 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Are you painting the entire car, inside and out? Unless the color change is done properly (full strip down to nothing) it will never be the same again. I'm fine with changing colors, if it's not a particularly rare car, but if any of the old color is left anywhere on the car, it's shit. Just my honest opinion...;-).

I bought a red 1600, stripped it down and found out that it was originally Manila, not the sexiest color in the world, but I'm actually returning it, properly, to its former glory. Through the course of my journey, I ended up really loving the Manila color, as that was how my car was made and it seems kind of special...corny, yes, but that's how we are with these cars... With that said, I understand the place you're in, just be careful about hating and changing with a quick decision.... Good luck!!

course ugly, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Sahara kinda grows on you and has several advantages: it doesn't show dirt (except in GA and KY) so you can clean off the bumpers, glass and wheels and it'll look clean from a few feet away. It's easy to match if you have to repaint a panel, it doesn't sun fade like brighter colors, and stays cooler in the summer so the A/C will have a fighting chance to work. And best of all, Sahara isn't a cop magnet color...kinda stealthy.

Nevada's nice too.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I get made fun of locally because I made it very clear a while ago that I didn't want another beige car (I had a 1600 that was sort of Sahara-ish).

Then a really nice, one family '73 came up for sale locally... and guess what color it was:

dsc4139v.jpg

Sahara grows on you. It's not flashy, but it suits these cars really well. It's a very typical early 70s type of shade, and it's not the kind of color you find on a modern car (although Jeep has a similarly named beige on the latest Wranglers... I think they look great!).

wrangler2012beige.jpg

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

California - desert -sand - sahara .No brainer.Sand is good.Don't change the color its a good choice.Now pick out the right color leather for the interior.I get some of the leather I use from the Hide House in Napa.

By the way where did you get that lift! That is sharp - looks like a rotissere as well.I gota have one . PM me if you can PLEASE !

Catman

I did the things yesterday no one wanted to -

So I could do the things today no one else can afford.

California - desert -sand - sahara .No brainer.Sand is good.Don't change the color its a good choice.Now pick out the right color leather for the interior.I get some of the leather I use from the Hide House in Napa.

By the way where did you get that lift! That is sharp - looks like a rotissere as well.I gota have one . PM me if you can PLEASE !

Catman

By the way the rotisserie that you see, I built it myself. It took sometime. Unfortunately I am reluctant to sell it or even give it away due to legal issues. I will probably cut it up and throw it away. I know that it is ashame but I have no other choices.

This is good to hear. I have a 74tii Sahara as well and really don't care for the color. I too am in the process of prepping for a new paint job. Hopefully next week. After about a year of thought I have decided to keep the Sahara. Two main reasons. 1. (as mentioned before) It really doesn't show dirt and 2. I am not doing a full tear-down. I don't have the time, money, space, or patience for the full deal. So, knowingy my limitations I decided to keep the Sahara. My car is not a show winner and I have decided to make it more of a 10' restoration. I think it looks weird when the exterior paint does not match the interior and it has all the original stickers on the body and hood. I think it is important to keep all that and I like the patina of them.

SO, that is my $.02's

Cheers

Ben

'74 tii Sahara

This is good to hear. I have a 74tii Sahara as well and really don't care for the color. I too am in the process of prepping for a new paint job. Hopefully next week. After about a year of thought I have decided to keep the Sahara. Two main reasons. 1. (as mentioned before) It really doesn't show dirt and 2. I am not doing a full tear-down. I don't have the time, money, space, or patience for the full deal. So, knowingy my limitations I decided to keep the Sahara. My car is not a show winner and I have decided to make it more of a 10' restoration. I think it looks weird when the exterior paint does not match the interior and it has all the original stickers on the body and hood. I think it is important to keep all that and I like the patina of them.

SO, that is my $.02's

Cheers

Ben

You voiced my sentiments also. I agree with you and I believe you are making the right decisions for the right reasons. In my case it is a total teardown so I do have options, so I am stuck. I appreciate your input.