Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #29
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
After seeing the CTS-V in person at the Detroit Auto show, it is very impressive and has presence!

I'm not the biggest fan of white cars, but the matte white called "Crystal White Frost" on the CTS-V and ATS-V looks awesome!

It's a $3,500 option. The Cadillac spokesperson at the show said the color will be a limited one-time run for both the ATS-V and CTS-V, as a launch color
Old 04-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #30
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxwellh View Post
84k is entry level Porsche 911 range! I love cars at all levels, but some of these prices are truly insane! I make a very good living but would never consider spending that much money on an automobile anymore. I was stunned when I walked through the Chevrolet dealership last week and discovered that the Tahoe now routinely lists in the 60's. People are either making a lot more $ than I think or getting themselves into too much debt for a rapidly depreciating asset. I'm comfortable with spending 30-40k for my cars, but much more than that is difficult for me to justify given today's quality choices. Now, that said, I have come to this conclusion after some pretty expensive purchases in the past... ('03 Corvette convertible 57k, '09 911 83k, '13 GT500 62k, and now my '15 ZL1 which fortunately for me was only 46k). Expensive lesson to learn, but I love my Sierra SLE and my wife's Enclave, both with cloth seats and costing about 36k each! God bless America.
I see the same at my local Chevy dealerships with concern to the Tahoes. The couple on the showroom floor were $60k+, but Tahoe sales overall at their best so I guess they're doing something right

Old 04-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #31
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
83k? no thanks.
I think the price is fair. You get a lot for the price. Just a few years ago $81k got you 469 hp!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #32
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
The pricing is appropriate for the segment. But that doesn't change the reality that these will likely not sell well at that price. They have a customer base from the last two generations of CTS-V, and even though it is a popular car, my feeling is that very few of them will find the price on the new one to be reasonable enough to buy another one. I'm not sure what all the sales numbers look like for the other comparable models but IMO Cadillac will move to the bottom of that list with this new car. Just too big of a leap too quickly.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #33
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Seems like a reasonable price for what you are getting. I'm not a big fan of white, but that looks great!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #34
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
What's wrong with a Chevy ? Chevy can sell cars that's over 83k. Just look at the ZR1 . And there are many who prefer a Chevy over a Cadi like me.
Yes Chevrolet can sell cars over $83k but the average transaction price for Chevrolet and Cadillac are very different. $83k to the average Cadillac shopper isn't quite the sticker shock it is to the average Chevrolet shopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
count me in....ZR1
I suspect a future ZR1 will set you back nearly twice this sum!

Quote:
84k is entry level Porsche 911 range! I love cars at all levels, but some of these prices are truly insane! I make a very good living but would never consider spending that much money on an automobile anymore. I was stunned when I walked through the Chevrolet dealership last week and discovered that the Tahoe now routinely lists in the 60's. People are either making a lot more $ than I think or getting themselves into too much debt for a rapidly depreciating asset. I'm comfortable with spending 30-40k for my cars, but much more than that is difficult for me to justify given today's quality choices. Now, that said, I have come to this conclusion after some pretty expensive purchases in the past... ('03 Corvette convertible 57k, '09 911 83k, '13 GT500 62k, and now my '15 ZL1 which fortunately for me was only 46k). Expensive lesson to learn, but I love my Sierra SLE and my wife's Enclave, both with cloth seats and costing about 36k each! God bless America.
Cars are simply getting more expensive with the ATP around $32k now. Considering the average household income is $50k, I suspect many are buying a lot more car than they can afford.

We've been abiding by the 10% rule for the past 3-4 purchases - never spend more than 10% of your annual income on a car purchase. This is tough as an enthusiast but we're in our 30's with a goal of retiring at 55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The pricing is appropriate for the segment. But that doesn't change the reality that these will likely not sell well at that price.
The vast majority of cars sell for less than their MSRP. As with the V2, I suspect an easy $10k off after incentives and rebates. So mid-low 70's for this monster is only $15k more than the outgoing V2. Still a bargain.

Quote:
They have a customer base from the last two generations of CTS-V, and even though it is a popular car, my feeling is that very few of them will find the price on the new one to be reasonable enough to buy another one. I'm not sure what all the sales numbers look like for the other comparable models but IMO Cadillac will move to the bottom of that list with this new car. Just too big of a leap too quickly.
Even the brands with the most brand loyalty like Ford and Toyota only capture 50-60% repeat buyers, which means the other 50% or so are conquest sales. I was shopping the M5 and E63 when I test drove the V2. Didn't know a domestic car could drive and handle like that! Truth is I was prepared to pay much more for a V than what the dealer was asking.

To your point these performance (halo) versions make up very small - almost insignificant percentage of sales. In many cases they are loss leaders for the brand. Cadillac needs ATS and SRX sales far more than CTS-V sales.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #35
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
The pricing is appropriate for the segment. But that doesn't change the reality that these will likely not sell well at that price. They have a customer base from the last two generations of CTS-V, and even though it is a popular car, my feeling is that very few of them will find the price on the new one to be reasonable enough to buy another one. I'm not sure what all the sales numbers look like for the other comparable models but IMO Cadillac will move to the bottom of that list with this new car. Just too big of a leap too quickly.
I agree, even with the new Z06 it was only slightly higher then the C6. I was hoping the same for the new CTS-V. Looks like about a 14K price increase way to much IMO.

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #36
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
[QUOTE=Bizaro;8393041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post

count me in....ZR1
Yea, I love those. I actually like the C6 corvette's more than the C7's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
How are you going to build up brand image if you keep selling your cars at discount prices? Then you become known as the bargain luxury brand and in the luxury world, that gets you nowhere.

You and I both know Corvette is a special circumstance that transcends the general perception of the Chevrolet brand.

Hey, it's a Chevy thing . Lol....
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #37
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Nice ! I love the cloth seats over the leather ones.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #38
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Yes Chevrolet can sell cars over $83k but the average transaction price for Chevrolet and Cadillac are very different. $83k to the average Cadillac shopper isn't quite the sticker shock it is to the average Chevrolet shopper.

I agree.

I suspect a future ZR1 will set you back nearly twice this sum!

True!

Cars are simply getting more expensive with the ATP around $32k now. Considering the average household income is $50k, I suspect many are buying a lot more car than they can afford.

True! But didn't Cadillac already go through needing to discount the cars by giving 5k off and stuff because they raised the price so much from the previous?

We've been abiding by the 10% rule for the past 3-4 purchases - never spend more than 10% of your annual income on a car purchase. This is tough as an enthusiast but we're in our 30's with a goal of retiring at 55!

The vast majority of cars sell for less than their MSRP. As with the V2, I suspect an easy $10k off after incentives and rebates. So mid-low 70's for this monster is only $15k more than the outgoing V2. Still a bargain.

Even the brands with the most brand loyalty like Ford and Toyota only capture 50-60% repeat buyers, which means the other 50% or so are conquest sales. I was shopping the M5 and E63 when I test drove the V2. Didn't know a domestic car could drive and handle like that! Truth is I was prepared to pay much more for a V than what the dealer was asking.

To your point these performance (halo) versions make up very small - almost insignificant percentage of sales. In many cases they are loss leaders for the brand. Cadillac needs ATS and SRX sales far more than CTS-V sales.
ATS is a beauty!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #39
King T

Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #40
King T

Old 05-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #41
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
That spoiler is definitely subdued in comparison to the ATS-V.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #42
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Its very strange that GM is putting the x pipe so far back. I have seen that on 2 different V cars now with completely different engines. That just doesn't seem like the best place to put it for the best scavenging. I don't think its that far back on the C7 Z06. I wonder if its a sound thing.