Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Acura RL

Because of ongoing controversy on CL, a review of the 2009 Acura RL

http://www.acura.com/

In a Nutshell: Industry-benchmark build quality/solidness, more power this year, but less ride comfort.

When I last reviewed a new RL, Acura's flagship, a few years ago, I was enormously impressed with the car, inside and out, and considered it one of my All-Time Ten Best. The build quality was first-rate, and the sheet metal/hardware was tank-solid, The interior, unlike many of the overly-plastic ones in most of today's cars, had a carved-from-granite feel. The paint job was mirror-like, and the AWD drivetrain was sophisticated and refined, although it lacked a V8's torque. Still, it had a pretty powerful (for the time) V6, sold for a price that was not cheap but, IMO, not excessive for what you got. And, on top of that, considering that relatively low RL sales have meant healthy discounts out the door, I felt that it was somewhat of a bargain, though still more than I would pay for a new car, even a car as good as this one. It is also, due to rather steep depreciation, a relative bargain as a used car also.

But the present-generation RL has generated considerable controversy in CL's ranks. Some feel that Acura made a mistake in not doing a V8 with RWD/AWD options. Some feel the car is physically too small to be a good flagship. Some feel that it is too plainly-styled, with "Too much Honda Accord" in its looks. Some feel that the SH-AWD system should have first been used on a car with higher performance potential. And, some, like me, feel the car, despite a few annoying features, was about as reasonably close to perfection as you can get for the price, and really doesn't need a lot of major revisions on Acura's part.

So, because the car generates so many divisions, comments, and controversy, and the fact that I take all of those comments, both good and bad, quite seriously, I've decided to formally review the latest 2009 version, compare my findings with my earlier impressions of the earlier 2006/7 model three years ago, and see if I still feel the same way. That, and the fact that, three years ago, my reviews were not as comprehensive or detailed as they are today, and did not include pictures.

For 2009, the RL has had some updates and mild redesign features, but not a major redesign....it's basically the same car as before with some minor tweaking and a new, slightly larger engine. As before, one basic trim level is offered, although Technology and CMBS versions are also available. One engine, a new 3.7L V6 (up from 3.5L), is offered, along with one transmission, a 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic, and, of course, the superb SH-AWD system now available on other Acura models as well. Gas mileage, as reflects the slightly larger engine and the new EPA mileage-rating system, is off about 2 MPG from the 2008, and is a little on the low side (16/22), but not low enough for a Federal Gas-Guzzler tax.

So, after the review, my updated conclusions? Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Acura RL

Base Price: $46,280

Major Options: None

Destination/Freight: $760

List price as reviewed: $47,040

Drivetrain: AWD, transverse-mounted 3.7L SOHC/VTEC V6, 300 HP @ 6300 RPM, Torque 271 ft-lbs @ 5000 RPM (I think the torque figure may be underrated), 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic with paddle-shifters.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 16 City, 22 Highway

Exterior Color: Silver Jade Metallic

Interior: Taupe Perforated Leather

PLUSSES:

An industry benchmark for build solidness and durable materials.

Swiss-Watch assembly precision.

More power this year from the new 3.7L V6.

Smooth-shifting automatic transmisson.

Well-designed, slick-operating transmission shifter.

Instant, right-now brake response.

Sophisticated, seamless SH-AWD system aids cornering grip.

Good wind noise isolation.

Handsome (IMO) exterior styling.

Superb exterior trim quality.

Mirror-like paint job.

Classy but somewhat dull paint colors.

Mattress-thick hood insulation.

Relatively good space efficiency inside except (for some people) rear headroom.

Good visibility out the rear windows.

Nice ignition twist-****.

Nice well-designed, clear gauges.

Slick-operating controls (though some are too complex).

Classy, well-fitted interior wood trim.

Extra-roomy, well-finished trunk.

Relatively large trunk opening.

Superb stereo sound.

Voice-activation for some control functions.

Nice 6/70 drivetrain warranty.

Good reliability record (not quite as good as some other Acuras).

Discounts and deals available, especially on leftover unsold 2008 models.

MINUSES:

New tires/suspension tuning means a firmer ride than previously.

Somewhat peaky torque.

Fairly slow steering response.

5-speed automatic a gear down from its 6-speed competitors.

A little more road noise than its Lexus competitors.

New seat leather not as smooth as before.

Rear seats don't fold down for cargo room.

Temporary spare tire unsuitable for a 47-50K flagship.

Very poor underhood layout.

Uncomfortable steering wheel stitching.

Silly-looking (IMO) circus-clown grille typical of new Acuras.

Awkward, foot-operated parking brake.

OK but marginal headroom in back for tall people.

Relatively low gas mileage (but with the power and AWD, some of this is to be expected).

Overly-complex dash-controller **** and stereo controls, even in non-NAV version.

Awkward stereo readout too far above controls.

EXTERIOR:

No surprises here, when you are first walking up to it. It's basically a re-hash of the 2005-2008 model, though a noticeable (and rather garish) change is the adoption, this year, of the same grinning circus-clown grille used on other Acuras....definitely not one of my favorites. Look for the Acura parts departments and aftermarket sources to do some buisness in replacement grilles (or 2008 grilles that will fit) for those owners determined enough to replace it. Funny looks aside, the grille is actually pretty well-done, with semi-gloss chrome finish combined with brushed-aluminum borders and the Acura logo. As with everything else on the exterior, the grille materials are first-rate.

And yes, so is just about everything else on the outside of this car. Two of the often-heard criticisms is that the body is too small for a flagship sedan, and too Honda Accord-like in its styling. I disagree, at least to an extent, on both. It is true that the body is not as large as, say, a Lexus LS460 flagship, but it clearly doesn't cost what an LS460 does either. It's actually more in line, both size-wise and price-wise, with the GS350 AWD, though the new 3.7L seems to equal or beat the GS350 on power (more on that later). And, as for the so-called "Honda Accord" looks, yes, there is a significant resemblance to some past-generation Accords, but I don't see where that is a bad thing. In my book, it is a handsome car (2009 grille excepted), and doesn't have to apologize to anyone for its looks. Of course, opinions here may differ, and I will respect those who may disagree....styling is generally an individual, subjective matter. I've met a few people who actually like the Pontiac Aztek.....the ultimate butt-ugly joke in the automotive press.

And, perhaps, another reason the body is a little on the small size for an Acura flagship is the sheer quality, solidness, and excellence of the materials put into it....that took some money. Ralph Nader.......here's one of your industry benchmarks. The bean-counters clearly took a hike on this one. Compared to most cars these days, all four doors and the trunk lid open and shut like a Moseler bank vault. Grab a door-pull and you clearly feel some weight on strong, durable hinges. Chrome/brushed-aluminum trim is finished to a tee, fitted with great care, and as smooth as a baby's butt. The exterior door handles are body-color plastic, but feel as if they were metal. The somewhat lighter hood (it feels like aluminum) shuts with Swiss-Watch precision, and you could probably roll a ball-bearing down the hood-fender gaps. The paint job, for smoothness, evenness, depth, and glossiness, is pretty much the equal of a number of Lexus vehicles.....not many cars can say that. The RL's dark colors, of course, as with most vehicles, are glossier and show more depth than the light ones. The RL's paint colors themselves, as with many vehicles these days, are a little on the dull side for my tastes, but the Alberta White Pearl, Redondo Red Pearl, and Opulent Blue Pearl are nice. The Redondo Red is the one standout color, and is almost as nice as the much-discussed Lexus Matador Red.

As for the rest of the exterior, The roofline is handsome and not too sharply raked, yet, with the sunroof, is low enough to just borderline impact on interior headroom (more on that below). The C-pillars are thick enough to be good-looking, yet not too thick to impact rear visibility. Long, chrome-trimmed flare panels hang down under the sides of all four doors, affect ground clearance a little, and make it a little more difficult to get a hose underneath for washing the underside. The rear trunk lid has a slight BMW-style brow on the edge, sticking out a little, and while I'm generally not a fan of that kind of styling, IMO, it looks better than the ones on its BMW competition. Both outside mirrors, like everything else outside, are made of durable materials, and swivel/lock smoothly and slickly. They also, as expected in a car of this class, house the side turn-signals.

Though I felt the lower-door flares were unneeded, there was only one thing I actually did not like on the exterior........the tires/wheels. The seven scalloped-spoke design wheels were not actually ugly, but clearly not one of my favorites. But, since I drove the last TL, the tires have gone to a more aggressive, lower-profile series (245/45-18) that lower the car's stance. stiffen up the ride somewhat even at the recommended 32/30 PSI (more on that below), and, in return, don't seem to offer any more steering response or handling precision than the tires used several years ago (again, more on that below). They may (?) even compromise traction in rain/snow, but I didn't have slippery roads to actually test that out on.

So, as I see it, if Acura kept the size of the RL's body down a little, the superb quality of its components makes up for it.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the light but strong, precise-fitting hood, which has an enormous underhood insulation pad that feels almost thick and soft enough to lie down and take a nap on, and two proper gas struts convieniently hold it up for you. Unfortunately, like most of the rest of today's luxury cars (and some not-so-luxury ones as well), the RL has a lousy underhood layout. The 3.7L transversely-mounted V6 is stuffed in tightly, though not quite as tightly as on some competitors. There is a small amount of room to get around the sides and back of the engine for component access, but it is pretty tight. A big plastic cover hides the entire top of the engine; similiar covers and panels hide EVERYTHING on the sides and even the front radiator and cap. Panels must be unsnapped, unscrewed, or unbolted to reach battery, computers, ABS hardware, master cylinder......you name it. Only a couple of dipsticks and filler caps survive the all-encompassing plastic-nanny covers.

INTERIOR:

The superb, Rock-of-Gibraltar feel of the exterior is transferred inside as well. The seats are comfortable, generally well-shaped (this, of course, is not a sports car), and have many adjustable settings, though you have to get the front cushions down pretty low for a guy my size, in a cap, to clear the sunroof housing. The perforated Taupe leather was of a fairly nice grade, but clearly not as even or smooth (to my eyes and touch) as the leather used in some past RLs........I have also noticed this in recent reviews of other luxury cars.

But most of the rest of the interior, like the exterior, uses materials of clearly superior grade. The door panel trim, heavy, well-finished, and solid with its wood, chrome, and brushed-metal, expertly fitted, adds to the weight/heft of the doors themselves. All of the switches, *****, adjusters, buttons, dials, levers, etc.....feel like they are carved from stone; there is virtually NONE of that cheap-plastic feel so prevalent in today's cars. You feel like you could pull a freight train with the door pulls. The primary gauges are the traditional Honda/Acura clear, circular design with the blue glow-rings, with the secondary ones right next to them also clear and easy to read. The steering wheel has solid, well-attached buttons, some of which are clearly marked and some not. Voice commands for several functions can be operated with them. The wheel itself has power tilt/telescope functions, and is well-designed, except with, like on the Acura MDX, uncomfortable leather stitching on the inside of the rim. The stereo has superb sound quality (Soul/Funk-music Godfather James Brown is something else on this unit). The big wood-trim panels are superbly-fitted and run across the whole dash. A couple of different wood-tones are available; I liked the lighter, more browish one better, though it wasn't quite as natural-looking as the wood on the Jaguar XF. The controls and stalks all operated with butter-smooth precision, but some of the mid-dash ones were complex (more on that in a moment). The sunroof, as with most upscale cars, can be tilted up at an angle or slid back and forth conventionally. The air vent ****-adjusters, a weak, flimsy point in many cars, also felt firm and precise, even the secondary ones on the back of the console in the rear seat. Legroom, front was generally fine (or at least adequate), even for tall persons, with good longitudional space efficiency. Headroom was OK for tall people if you got the front seat cushion down low enough, just adequate in back. This appears to be a function of both the roofline, which does not rake much but is fairly low, and some slight extra space underneath the roof needed for the thick, solid roof panel and its housing.....Acura appears to have used solid materials even there also.

Is the interior perfect? No...there are some irritations. I've already mentioned the sharp knobbly-feel of the steering-wheel rim stitching and the fact that I'm not as impressed with the leather in this 2009 model as in previous years. The round, I-Drive-type dash ****/controller for the stereo/video functions on the dash screen (it comes even with non-NAV versions) is, like most of these *****, a pain in the a** to use in its complexity. At least it is solidly made, and doesn't feel flimsy like in some cars. The stereo/XM satellite digital readout, way up on the top of the mid-dash, is, IMO, too far away from the controls and adjusters for easy reference and convinience; I much prefer them all to be together. And the one lone flimsy-feeling item in an otherwise rock-solid interior was the glovebox latch...but even that was not too bad, and did its job. The parking brake was the more awkward-style, left-foot-operated pedal under the dash; I much prefer a pull-up hand-lever on the console.

Granted, I haven't reviewed a new car recently in the Maybach/Rolls-Royce class to compare it to (they are generally not available to the public on-demand for test drives), but for everyday mass-produced cars, even with its few irritations, the RL clearly has one of the most solidly-built and crafted interiors of anything I have seen or driven in modern times. Almost nothing inside or out, in this car, feels light or cheap. With the notorious cheapness of their interiors/exteriors/hardware, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep designers need to come take a good look at this car, and let Acura show them how it's done.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid, substantial trunk lid, and conventional but flexible trunk hinges allow the lid to rise almost vertically for easy loading/unloading. Under the lid you will find a large, fairly thick, well-finished gray carpeted insulation pad that covers almost the whole underside of the lid itself. Because the rear roofline doesn't slope excessively like it does on many sedans, the size of the lid is fairly large for a good-sized opening....the roofline doesn't cut into it. The bottom of the metal hinges are partially hidden by nice tubular covers, which also helps keep the hinges from hitting or scarring luggage. The trunk itself is roomy, good-sized, well-shaped, and finished in a nice grade of fairly plush. thick, light-gray carpet rather then the more usual, dark-gray, industrial-grade stuff. The bean-counters, however, decided to come back from their vacation just long enough to stick in a temporary spare tire under the floor instead of a proper (for this class) real spare. They also decided that the rear seats wouldn't fold down, and that a small, lockable, pass-through hole/cover, built into the rear arm-rest, would allow long items like skis and fishing poles to be carried. I guess one really can't complain too much about that, however, after the money that Acura put into the general quality of the interior and exterior...no mass-production auto company can afford unlimited expenses in the design of their cars.

ON THE ROAD:

Starting up the big 3.7L V6 is pleasant enough. With the electronic transponder "key" in your presence, twist the big, comforable, solid finger-
***** built into the column-mounted ignition switch forward, and the engine fires up and settles into a Honda/Acura-smooth, quiet idle. This V6, like some of those from Nissan/Infiniti and Toyota/Lexus, idles as smooth as a V8. Warm it up a minute, take off, and the difference between this engine and th old 3.5L I last drove in the RL is noticeable. The torque, yes, is a little on the peaky side...there is moderate power up to about 3800-4000 RPM, and then the torque really hits; almost like a turbo engine (peak is at 5000 RPM). Since this was a new car, I had to be careful not to go much above 4000-4500, so I couldn't wind it out to its max. When the power comes on approaching 3800 RPM or so, you get a moderate but healthy shove in the back. Acura rates this engine at 300 HP and torque at 271 ft-lbs. Judging from the response of this particular car, the weight/drag of the automatic transmission and AWD, and, of course, my heavy frame, I suspect the actual torque is better than that....around 300 ft-lbs. While there have been dissenting opinions, and will no doubt be more, in my opinion, this engine puts to rest, once and for all, the ongoing question of whether this car needs a V8 or not. As I see it, all but the most drag-race-hungry people will be perfectly satisfied.....and more......with this powerplant. It's also fairly quiet on the road, too, as at idle, although some exhaust noise comes in with fairly hard acceleration.,

So, then, there is the question of the 5-speed automatic transmission.....5 speeds, in a general world of six or more from many of its competitors. There, opinions will also vary (and I respect them), but I'll tell it the way I see it: The 7 and 8-speed automatics used in Mercedes and Lexus vehicles, IMO, are overkill. Once you get more than 5 or 6 speeds, the ratios get so close together that little is to be gained from all that shifting, and, of course, it places more wear on the transmission itself, not to mention the weight and complexity of such a transmission. At that point, you might as well then use a CVT, with infinite ratios. 5 or 6 speeds, usually, is enough...6 is probably preferable for triple-digit runs on the German autobahn, though of course, a lot matters on how the gears are spaced and their drive-ratios. I had a 5-speed automatic in my Lexus IS300 that was fine in the lower 4 gears, but had too wide a gap between 4th and 5th....it clearly needed a 6th gear in between. Other 5-speed automatics, like the one in my test RL, seem to have no problems in normal driving.

So, let's get to the transmission in my test car. Like most Honda/Acura automatics these days, the transmission was smooth and quiet, the bumpy-shifts of Honda-designed automatics being now in the relatively distant past. The shift lever was well-done, with good materials, and a nice, smooth, slick, fore/aft motion (none of that zig-zag crap). There is no manual-shift gate; you pull the lever back to "S" for Sport-mode and then shift with the shift-paddles on the steering column, which are OK for most finger-sizes, but overall could be a little larger. The 5 speeds seemed to be fairly well-spaced; there were no noticeable big gaps obserived in normal driving, but, of course, I couldn't run at really high speeds to check the limits of 5th gear. So, my honest opinion is that, while 6 speeds in this car might be a little better in extreme conditions, for most driving, 5 is enough.

Brakes were pretty much instant-on, with almost immediate pedal response and practically no sponginess. Deceleration, while not Porsche-911 quick, was nonetheless impressive for a Honda/Acura product, as in the past they have tended to have undersized brake rotors and calipers. Acura uses 12.6" ventilated rotors with 4-piston calipers up front, and ventlated, 12.2" rotors in back. Ventilated rotors in back are rather unusual on this type of car; you usually see them only up front, except in high-performance and sport cars. And I felt no momentary brake-dragging after lifting my foot up off the pedal like in some Mercedes vehicles, which can be somewhat annoying. The pedal is well-designed and located for big feet like mine; I had no hang-up problems with my size-15 shoes on brake-gas pedal transfers.

Wind noise was well-controlled, partially due to the superb quality of the doors/window materials and sealing. Road noise, in spite of the large, thick insulation pads both in the hood and trunk, was not bad, but noticeable..........a seemingly ongoing Honda/Acura weak point, even in its big RL flagship. Score one for the Lexus GS/LS here.........both of them trounce the RL on ride quietness.

The chassis, on my test car, was, IMO, not particularly impressive....somewhat of a letdown from the previous RL I reviewed some time ago. Acura, like other automakers, stuck on lower-profile, more aggreessive 45-series high-performance all-season tires on the 2009 RL. There is no separate Sport-suspension package on the RL, so, while I don't have actual spring-rate or shock-setting specs to prove it (and the literature doesn't say), I suspect that Acura also tweaked the suspension a little from the model I drove a couple of years ago, stiffening it up. The result is a noticeably stiffer ride this time, especially over bumps, even with the recommended 32/30 lbs. PSI tire pressure, which is not particularly high.
This would be OK if better handling were the result, but I didn't notice any flatter cornering or quicker steering response on this RL than the one I last drove with softer suspension and tires. The tires may (?) have also added to the road-noise problem; high-performance tread designs often do.

The superb SH-AWD, of course, operated seamlessly and greatly helped the rather unimpressive chassis with its dry cornering grip. Its greatest benefits, of course (with less-aggreesive all-season tires) will be in wet/snow conditions, but I didn't have a chance to test it in slippery conditions......it had rained overnight, but the roads were drying up by the time I got to the Acura shop. This, though, IMO, is a big selling point for the RL......just like with Subarus, every RL gets the SH-AWD; it is not an option. So, no matter where you drive, you're covered in any kind of weather, though you may need to find some better-suited tires if the standard, stock, high-performance ones don't cut it in the winter for you.

THE VERDICT:

Despite its weaknesses, if it sounds like I have a very high opinion of this car, I do. The one I last drove made a place on my All-Time Ten Best list, along with the Lexus LS460, GS300/350AWD, BMW 335xi, BMW 550i, Subaru L.L. Bean 3.0L Outback, Infiniti M45 AWD, and others. The 2009 RL also remains on that list, but for slightly different reasons. The new 3.7L V6 has, IMO, the power and responsiveness of a typical V8. The superlative exterior and interior build quality/materials are hard to beat at any price. The SH-AWD system is perhaps, along with Audi's Quattro, the industry's best over-35K AWD, as Subaru has the best system under 35K. The RL has a roomy trunk, better-then-average brakes for a Honda/Acura sedan, a superb-sounding stereo system, and a slick-operating transmission that seems to use its limited 5 gears quite well.

But like with any car, there are flies in the ointment....I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's one of my Ten Best cars without exposing its faults and quirks. The chassis ride/handling balance, with the newer tires and suspension, is not impressive in my book....ride comfort is now lower, without any noticeable return in steering/handling improvement. The well-constructed but quirky dash-control ****, like similiar systems in other luxury cars, is complex and frustrating to operate, though some of its functions can be done with voice commands. Seat leather, while not cheap by any means, is not as pleasant as that used in the older RL. And underhood access, also like some other luxury cars, is a joke. Road noise, while not bad, is slightly higher than it should be with this class of car.

So, there you have it...........the new RL. I've tried to address the car's controversial nature the best I can, but I know that some of you are still going to have different opinions or points of view.

So, if desired, fire away...............

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-08 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-05-08, 07:59 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you. In general I like the car and I think Honda has done a nice job with it. The caveats I have are the styling (Sorry I hate the new Acura snout), Price (Even with discounts it is still overpriced), room (a bit cramped) and to a lesser extent the change in ride (Everything doesn't have to get firmer in a Luxury car).

Nice review.
Old 11-05-08, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Nice review.
Thanks.

I agree with you. In general I like the car and I think Honda has done a nice job with it. The caveats I have are the styling (Sorry I hate the new Acura snout), Price (Even with discounts it is still overpriced), room (a bit cramped) and to a lesser extent the change in ride (Everything doesn't have to get firmer in a Luxury car).
You're right about the grille. Stylists, today, seem to be going overboard, in a desire to make their products "distinctive". The new Acura and Audi grilles, IMO, are not my cup of tea either. Neither are the new Mitsubishi Lancer/Ralliart/Evo grilles, which are patterned on the Audi ones but even more oversized.

When I said the ride was firmer, it's not Honda S2000, Mitsubishi Evo or classic sports-car firm; just simply a litle firmer than on the last RL I drove....and seemingly without a corrsponding increase in handling precision.

Overpriced? Maybe, but note that this car is NOT built with cheap materials. It is a refreshing change from the world of Dodge-Caliber type flimsy plastic.
Old 11-05-08, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I love the interior, butta face...
Old 11-05-08, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I love the interior, butta face...

The face? Smile, you're on Candid Camera.

Old 11-05-08, 08:30 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gauge cluster looks nearly identical to the 2gs minus color
Old 11-05-08, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Great review Mike. You wrote maybe the most in-depth review this overlooked and forgotten car will get with its re-fresh.

Agan, nothing really "wrong" with this car. Just IMO, nothing great about it either and in this highly contested group (E/GS/5/M35/45/MKS/XJ/STS etc), well, the sales number speaks for themselves. It does make for a GREAT used car, with 2005 models in the low to mid 20s already. Like the last gen Q45, what a steal!

I do love the wood interior additions. My only question is how do u feel its like a V-8 when every performance test has it performing like just an adequate V-6? Its barely faster than a TSX.

You might just catch me drive on Sunday to give my 2 cents.

Great work!!!

Old 11-05-08, 09:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The interior just looks so good. Exterior? The 09 makes the 05 look like a beauty queen.

Anyone have pictures of the RL interior in black I prefer black interior for most luxury cars. Not too much of a tan guy.
Old 11-05-08, 09:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

This car looks better than it did. However, I just can't respect it. It gets just terrible gas mileage and yet it is at the bottom of of midsize luxury cars when it comes to power. Nothing like the lightweight, low powered, but quick Prelude I had.
Old 11-05-08, 10:26 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
you mean like almost every other car after the 2gs in '98?

it's a nice car but nobody is going to buy it, not with the engine mounted sideways.
Old 11-06-08, 01:13 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
you mean like almost every other car after the 2gs in '98?

it's a nice car but nobody is going to buy it, not with the engine mounted sideways.
Most everyone wouldn't be able to tell the engine was a transverse mount anyway unless the opened the hood. Drive wise it dives more neutral than many RWD vehicles so I'm not sure what engine position would be a problem.

That said, I've always liked the interior of the 05+ RL and the interior fit, finish, and feel. I didn't mind the 05-08 RL exterior styling at all. It wasn't spectacular and some call it bland, but that is much better than edgy and ugly IMHO. However, I don't like the 09 exterior style refresh.
Old 11-06-08, 03:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Great write-up as always Mike, I am going back to test drive the 09 and put this up against my finalists- BMW 5-series and yes, hold your breath, Genesis 4.6....
Old 11-06-08, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3

Yes. Honda/Acura has stuck with that blue-ring/red-needle theme for some time now, but they are starting to move away from it. I suspect the next major RL redesign will, too.
Old 11-06-08, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike. You wrote maybe the most in-depth review this overlooked and forgotten car will get with its re-fresh.[
Thanks. I felt one was needed, both because of the limitations of the last review I did, and the ongoing controversy this car keeps generating on CL.

Again, nothing really "wrong" with this car. Just IMO, nothing great about it either and in this highly contested group (E/GS/5/M35/45/MKS/XJ/STS etc), well, the sales number speaks for themselves. It does make for a GREAT used car, with 2005 models in the low to mid 20s already. Like the last gen Q45, what a steal!
Well, it's neither a super-luxury car from a comfort point of view, nor a super-sports sedan from a performance point of view, but, by today's standards, it IS a piece of almost unsurpassed automotive build quality. That is one of the chief things that impressed me about it. You don't find materials like this on just any car today in any showroom. The actual reliability record, however, in service, according to Consumer Reports, lags that of other Acura models somewhat, so the superb build materials don't necessarily translate into a completely trouble-free car. They are nice to sit in, and experience, however.

I do love the wood interior additions. My only question is how do u feel its like a V-8 when every performance test has it performing like just an adequate V-6? Its barely faster than a TSX.
As I see it, one must look at its proper context. The 300 HP V6 (I'm not sure the torque rating of 271 is correct) has an automatic, a heavy, sophisticated AWD system adding drag, a solidly-built car behind it with not-so-light materials....plus the rather heavily-built me as well. Acura's published curb weight of the base version, as I tested, is 4083 lb......probably 4400 lbs with both me and a load of fuel in the car.The way it performed with this load attached to it, in my admittedly imperfect acceleration conditions in traffic, was pretty close to V8s of the typical 320-330 HP/torque range carrying a comparable load/drag. This convinced me, from an everyday-street-driving point of view, that the development and tooling expense of a V8 was probably not needed in this car. Acura apparantly agrees....and obviously put that money instead into superb interior/exterior materials (where I think they should be in the first place)

You might just catch me drive on Sunday to give my 2 cents.

Great work!!!
Thanks. Drive away. You will probably find the new firmer ride a little closer to your tastes than I did. I tend to be pretty conservative in the ride-handling department, and I like some cushiness, as long as it is not excessive and degrades handling too much.
Old 11-06-08, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
The interior just looks so good. Exterior? The 09 makes the 05 look like a beauty queen.
Take off the 2009's Bozo-the-Clown grille, however, and there is little significant difference between the 2005 and 2009's exterior.

Anyone have pictures of the RL interior in black I prefer black interior for most luxury cars. Not too much of a tan guy.
I didn't see any on Google. Best chance is somebody with a digital camera and downloading....both are beyond my abilties.

The tan/beige interiors, however, are usually more colorful and pleasing to the eye, especially with appropriate wood trim and two-tone dash combinations. The all-black or dark gray interiors are much more monotone and boring. However, your opinion is noted, and all is in the beauty of the beholder (and, granted, black interiors don't show stains ).

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Acura RL