How many shades of Azzuro Metallic are there? | FerrariChat

How many shades of Azzuro Metallic are there?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jersey308gtb, Mar 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    #1 jersey308gtb, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]So the car (1979 euro dry sump) is about to be painted from bare metal. One major panic is that the car wore a deeper metallic blue than most of the photos I've seen of cars with the same colour.

The code is 106.A.32

A lot of cars with this code are almost 'powder blue', really pale which I'm not keen on. Where as others are a deeper blue (like mine was, but it may have been resprayed by the previous owner), which I much prefer.

This code is used a lot on a wide range of ferrari's over a wide period. So can anyone tell me the correct shade of this code for a GTB built in 1979??

Hope it's not the really pale version!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Scroll down on this page, in the LEFT column of pictures, to the seventh picture from the top...

308-328.com

Rgds

kissmyaxe likes this.
  3. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Thanks for that, it's very pale isn't it!

I've seen so many early 308s in the same blue as mine, clearly not sort of between Blue Chiaro and Azzuro.

They must be resprayed incorrectly.

Best wishes

4. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    #4 John M, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The change from (Glidden) Saalchi paints to Glasurit paints occured on some cars (such as Flashman's) from the end of the year 1980 to the end of the 1981 spring.
    So a small number of cars were already in Glasurit paints after december 1980 (earliest date known so far for a Glasurit painted car). Before december 1980, the Saalchi references apply if one wants to stay really original...
    BUT although it is possible to match the color, remember that original paints (the paint itself, the chemical formula) are no longer produced...

Rgds

6. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Like that website you referenced. Hadn't seen that before.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    But John, I should add that, as you say, it is very possible indeed that "Jersey308 GTB" car has been repainted during the eighties or the nineties with Glasurit paint, using a color "close to the original", such as 502/C.

From what can be seen by studying samples, there are:
    - some Saalchi colors that remained in the Glasurit range, identical but with another name
    - some Saalchi colors that has the same name that some Glasurit colors, but were not identical, etc...

Rgds

8. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

John, yes my car looks very similar to your 502c. It was resprayed around 1985, so that must be it.

So she will be going back to that much lighter blue then, does look a bit girly to me but if that's the way it was, that's the way it should be. Actually the car was ordered new from the factory by a 24 year old female, so it all makes sense!😉

Thanks all for your replies.

9. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    #9 galileo, Mar 24, 2016
  10. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    #10 John M, Mar 24, 2016
    To Jersey...Makes sense with the time frame and someone eyeing the latest mid blue hue from Ferrari and wanting to mimic it with their 79. I think that is the right call to go back to original. Looks to be a great color. I bet the lines pop even more with that slightly lighter shade. I had the same hesitation about wanting a darker hue when I resprayed mine. But once completed in its Azzurro I knew I had chosen wisely to keep original. That Azzurro Met. is a rare bird on the 308 in my opinion. Have your body shop spray out a sample.

To Nerofer...I don't believe Azzurro 502/C is the same as earlier Azzurro Met of the late 70s. That page you noted has pictures of both colors. When I along with my body shop were researching the color formula we looked at several sprayouts of various 'azzurro' paint codes. And as you noted these colors are all made differently today than in the 70s and 80s. And pictures really can be very deceiving based on the lighting and camera. As mine is an 82 and we settled on Azzurro 502/C as it best matched per spray out comparison what was on the car. The 'azzurro met.' spray out was lighter in color compared to azzurro 502/C. Azzurro 502/C almost looks like a 'steel blue metallic' with florescent lighting. Attached a pic of a reported Azzurro Met. Dino.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Which "azzuro" is that, as for its complete reference on the paint sticker?

Rgds

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks John; as for "Azzuro" yes I agree of course! But I didn't had the time to begin a long explanation color by color.
    Suffice to say that some colors did indeed stay almost identical in Saalchi or in Glasurit reference under the same name, for instance "Blu sera".
    Other kept the name but changed.
    Other changed name for the same color ("Blu Medio Met" at Glasurit is a new name for an old color); etc...
    It works really on a case by case basis.

Rgds

13. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    For those wanting to join the Azzurro club.....at least I think it is Azzurro...no mention in ad.

1985 Ferrari 308 GTS

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's an old color, first used on the Dino.

It carried over to a few early 308GTBs, like my 22641.

It is a light blue, but has a lot of class, tends to look darker in certain light.
    Thanks for the Code, I needed to get that to the new owner, who is redoing the paint.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, that's Glasurit 502/C; much easier during the "Glasurit paint period of the 3x8s": there was only one!
    And of the four Glasurit blues:
    only "Blu Chiaro" and "Blu Sera" can be mistaken one for the other, and very easily at that, unless you have the two side by side.
    "Blu Medio Met" and "Azzuro" cannot be mistaken with any other "blu".

You happen to know that, according to Enzo Ferrari's muse, Fiamma Breschi, "Azzuro" was Enzo's favorite color for a Ferrari...

Rgds

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

Yes..that's exactly it.!!

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Of my three cars, it's the ONLY one I have ever had an attractive female admirer roll down the window at a stoplight, to compliment it!!

They could care less about red or yellow!
    :D :D :D

18. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I am in good company then! :D Its my favorite color too. I much prefer the Azzurro on my 308 to my TdF blue 355. And actually prefer the 308 to the 355! shhhhhh! :D

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, women are usually attracted by more subdued colors.
    Or perhaps she was only sensible to the driver's charm, who knows...

Rgds

20. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I haven't explored that aspect as I have a wife and five kids! :D

21. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    #21 jersey308gtb, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

John thank you, yes I agree it best to keep original colour exactly. I have asked the paint shop to spray up some samples for me.

There is something nice about having an understated colour on a Ferrari, and as others have commented, women are much more attracted to the colour... Shame I already have a wife but she very much likes the colour.

I'll post pics of the car when it's painted and rebuilt.

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #23 Aircon, Mar 24, 2016
  24. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Looks lovely, very clean and pure colour which makes shows the shape well.

I'm slowly coming round to the fact that I need to go this way, if it was the wrong shade of blue from original it would be no different from having the wrong colour interior fitted. I just still wonder why the second owner whom painted it didn't go for the right shade. I guess back then whe the car was worth less originality was not a priority.

25. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    [​IMG]

Hello I'm in the same boat after sanding a bit found that the original color is darker than the Dino color.

Also it's not factory boxer darn it as removing the badge shows the paint under it.

This is for 22641 Big Tex old car. I think Aircon has the color of my car or what my car should be. Since his is also a 77 car.

Going to strip it down this weekend. Getting
    Ready for paint in a couple weeks.

Thanks to[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]