• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a 67 Body painted this color?

64SF

Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a 67 B Body painted this color or close to it?

Is that B5?

There's a 66/67 color that's real close.
I want to say "medium" blue, but don't have the codes handy.

I have a friend that has a 67 belve 2 with original paint with what looks like b5 blue. I will try to get a picture this weekend.

Last edited:
Paint code 881, its "Bright Blue Metallic" my 67 coronet is the equivalent to that color.

My 67 Coronet is an original bright blue metallic car. The 67 bright blue metallic is much darker than the 68 bright blue metallic (electric blue for Plymouth) or the 69 and up B-5 blue metallic.
I took my 67 Coronet hardtop to Maaco for an inexpensive paint job. They had every 67 Dodge color in their system except for the bright blue metallic. They tried to use a competitive cross reference from a different manufacturer to match to color.
What they came up with wasn't even close to the 67 bright blue, but I liked it so much when they did a test spray on the bottom side of the hood, that I told them to go ahead and paint the entire car. I like the color much more than the original 67 bright blue.
You can see my blue 67 Coronet here on my Facebook page (and in my avatar picture).
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.100827829964276.288.100001111775214&type=3&l=dd44a48dc0

My 67 Coronet is an original bright blue metallic car. The 67 bright blue metallic is much darker than the 68 bright blue metallic (electric blue for Plymouth) or the 69 and up B-5 blue metallic.
I took my 67 Coronet hardtop to Maaco for an inexpensive paint job. They had every 67 Dodge color in their system except for the bright blue metallic. They tried to use a competitive cross reference from a different manufacturer to match to color.
What they came up with wasn't even close to the 67 bright blue, but I liked it so much when they did a test spray on the bottom side of the hood, that I told them to go ahead and paint the entire car. I like the color much more than the original 67 bright blue.
You can see my blue 67 Coronet here on my Facebook page (and in my avatar picture).
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.100827829964276.288.100001111775214&type=3&l=dd44a48dc0

Nice color. I love the look of the paint color of my coronet (where its not faded) so I plan to match that. How much did Maaco charge you for that paint job?

Nice color. I love the look of the paint color of my coronet (where its not faded) so I plan to match that. How much did Maaco charge you for that paint job?

It was over $3000.00 , but that included their highest quality paint, some body work and sanding much of the old paint off completely down to the metal. So I think almost 2/3 of the total was for the labor not counting the painting.
The car looks decent but it won't win any trophies. I couldn't justify spending more on a car thats parked outside.
Keep in mind that some Maacos are better than others. The one I went to is owned by a guy who loves working on the old cars.

There was an "Electrobake" down here that always had cool old cars with outstanding paint jobs parked outside.
I wouldn't hesitate to have that guy paint my car.
It's the painter, not the shop.
Keep driving by several locations until you find one like that.

Last edited:
This isn't a very good picture. I was in a hurry but I plan to take some more with the car out. It is paint code 881

Attachments

• blue 67.jpg
    blue 67.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 880
Last edited:
Has anyone seen a 67 B Body painted this color or close to it?

You and I have similar tastes my friend! I came across that photo on an ebay ad last year and I copied and pasted it on this site when I was researching paint codes for my '68. It's the most beautiful blue paint job I've seen on a '68-'69 B-body. When I emailed the owner of the car you posted when he had the ebay ad up, he told me that it was a repaint in original '68 B5 blue. Now that opens it up to 3 choices actually.

Read elsewhere on this website and you'll see that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but here's the summary - since I just went through it myself:

You can verify these codes by googling chrylser paint codes and they will have jpegs of color code sheets listed. Look at the one for Plymouth, as the codes for Dodge and Chrysler are different letter/number designations.

'68 B5 Blue is actually coded as QQ1 Blue. There is no "B5 Blue" for '68, but QQ1 is generally referred to as '68 B5 Blue.

'69 B5 blue is lighter and less electric than QQ1 Blue.
(As far as I know, 1970 B5 blue is the same as '69 B5 blue)

'71 B5 blue saw yet another shade change, with the blue getting slightly darker, but more than that - it's got less of a turquoise or green tinge to it. It's more of a "true blue".

Some people will say, "don't be so picky, just paint it any B5 blue and call it done!" Well, I had my paint guy shoot all 3 for me on test strips with a coat of clear to compare. Man, when you look at those 3 side by side, they definitely look different.

Bear in mind what others have told me and what I've seen firsthand - lighting when viewed in person (inside a garage vs outside in direct sun vs overcast, as well as viewing in person vs viewing online on the computer) can exhibit DRASTIC differences in tone and shade. For example, one of the members here (68x426) has a beautiful orange roadrunner that I've seen in person, but in the photos he took and posted on this site the car appears as the most beautiful red you've ever seen.

For the car you posted, it's difficult to tell without seeing the car in person, but I would guess if it looks as it does in the photo, that when he had it repainted, he may have told the painter "I want 68 B5 blue" and if he didn't explain to the painter that there were 3 different B5 blues ('68, '69, & '71) then he likely got the most recent one for that era of mopars, which was the '71 B5 blue. By the way, the '71 B5 blue is what I've chosen to paint my '68 and it's at the body/paint shop as we speak.

As others have said, even with the correct color and shade chosen, differences can result from the painter who actually shoots the paint on the car. Nozzle pressures, other settings, and the brand of paint used, as well as whether the car is clear coated or not, can all affect the final outcome. I'm not a painter, just telling you what I've learned over the last year.

The 67 Bright Blue Metallic was a one year only color and was actually a pretty dark blue shade. The 68 QQ1 Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge) and Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth) was a one year only color. B-5 blue was first used in 69.
These are three very different colors. I love the 68 only electric blue metallic and had a 68 Barracuda convertible that color back in the 80's. I plan to paint my current 68 Barracuda convertible that color as well.
Park an electric blue metallic car next to a B-5 blue car and the Electric blue will stand out as retina burning bright blue and the B-5 will look more like a more subdued silver blue.

The info I've uncovered suggests that the first letter of the codes that have two different letters indicates the year the color was first used. I think "B5" could be preceeded by a couple different letters.
I also believe that for the same code "GB5" for example, even though there were different names for Dodge and Plymouth- the colors were identical mixes.

I posted this on another thread. It's a little late but illustrates nicely the difference between EB5 and GB5, etc-

Here's a nice page that shows the different colors for 1970-74.
They're on Challengers, but you get to see what each looks like compared to the others.
...plus it shows the codes and changes year to year.

73/74 info is kinda hard to find.

http://www.aarta.com/challenger_colors/challenger_colors.html

That's an awesome color comparison website YY1! Thanks for that post. I think they should do that for all the car bodies and include '62-'69 also.

That would be nice.

I bet we could do it here, between all the active members and their pic collections.

I like the format in row/column style and all the same size.

Funny thing about that page...you can't get to it through their front door.

If thats Paint code 881, "Bright Blue Metallic" thats the color of mine

1-2.jpg

Oooooooo. Ahhhhhhhh.

There was a 67 440 4 speed Charger that color cheap on ebay last year.

Wanted it REAL bad.

LOVE that color.

Auto Transport Service
Back