• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

restoration of a copper interior

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
Doing some restoration work on a 67 Coronet RT that has copper interior. I need to refinish the metal dash and steering column and I 'd like to re dye the soft dash pad. Are there any paint codes that I can look up for what colors were used. They are really not a discernible color, they just look bad.

I used Herbs copper dye on all things like door panels, kick panels, package tray, replaced the carpet with Dark Brown original style. I haven't done the dash yet, but the original dash pad is what I consider brown. I thought it was just to much copper so seats and headliner went to an off white.
611001729.jpg
20200516_142411_1589766485656.jpg
20200518_125113.jpg

20200518_125113.jpg
20200518_125342.jpg

Here's a pic of the original dash in my 67 Satellite with the copper interior. Like Jerry said, I would call it a flat or matte brown metallic. When I had mine redone, the body guy used the copper body paint with a flattening agent. Came out close, but it's not as dark as the original and it has more gloss.

1990-017.jpeg
PB300005.JPG

Here's a pic of the original dash in my 67 Satellite with the copper interior. Like Jerry said, I would call it a flat or matte brown metallic. When I had mine redone, the body guy used the copper body
The dash frame in mine doesn't actually need to be redone, but the dash pad does need replaced. I have another original pad with no cracks or blemishes that I am going to do a spray out to see how close Herbs Brown interior paint/dye is to what I think the pad should be. My dash frame is between a brown and copper matte finish and I see no metallic.

The dash frame in mine doesn't actually need to be redone, but the dash pad does need replaced. I have another original pad with no cracks or blemishes that I am going to do a spray out to see how close Herbs Brown interior paint/dye is to what I think the pad should be. My dash frame is between a brown and copper matte finish and I see no metallic.
I thought I remembered seeing some metallic in it, but it's been a long time. Definitely better to go with Jerry's original example.

Here you can see the original color on my steering column where the new paint chipped off. Sure looks like it has metallic in it to me - the new paint definitely does (flattened paint code T, Medium Copper Irid.). Maybe it's just my eyes or perhaps Dodge and Plymouth were different?

20200829_103652.jpg

In 66 & 67 the column was painted body color, with no flattening agent in the paint. I have a 66 EE1 blue car that I used the column to have the body paint mixed.

Hmmm...not to argue with you Jerry as I consider you one of the experts on these, but the column was the same color as the dash in the 4 67 PLymouths I've had. My Belvedere convertible is still original - ZZ1 Gold exterior, black interior. Column and dash are black. The Satellite convertible I used to have was the same ZZ1 ext/black interior. Still have that column and it's black. My Belvedere II hdtp was EE1 ext., dash and column were also dark blue as I recall. Don't have any good pics of that one and car is long gone.

Here's a pic of the underside of the ashtray, which I am certain matched the dash, where you can see the original dash paint against the repaint. Looks the same as my column in post #6.

20200829_111545.jpg

Hmmm...not to argue with you Jerry as I consider you one of the experts on these, but the column was the same color as the dash in the 4 67 PLymouths I've had. My Belvedere convertible is still original - ZZ1 Gold exterior, black interior. Column and dash are black. The Satellite convertible I used to have was the same ZZ1 ext/black interior. Still have that column and it's black. My Belvedere II hdtp was EE1 ext., dash and column were also dark blue as I recall. Don't have any good pics of that one and car is long gone.

Here's a pic of the underside of the ashtray, which I am certain matched the dash, where you can see the original dash paint against the repaint. Looks the same as my column in post #6.

View attachment 994978
Ofcourse if the interior is a different color the column would be the interior color. My reference to the 66 Satellite was that it's EE1 outside and the interior was the light blue, the carpet, dash, kick panels, rear seat upper shelf, and package tray were dark blue EE1 no metallic. The upper door panels, seats and door panels were in the light blue, but the column was dark blue metallic.
I agree that there are metallic painted parts on the interior, but I have never seen metallic in the matte finishes.
I stand to be corrected as the cars I have restored were from 30 to 50 years old and if there was metallic in the matte finish parts, the glitter may have faded. The 67 Satellite I bought new was black interior as one or more of yours, so black is black.
I appreciate your input and the discussion, maybe someone else will help clarify this. I'm just going on how my old eyes see this, as more than half of my collection are 66-67 Dodge & Plymouth.

Yea. I been messing with these for 30 yrs and I'm still learning. Biggest thing I've learned is to be careful saying all/always and none/never when talking about Mopars.:)
All 4 of mine came out of the St. Louis plant within about 6 months. Other plants may have some differences.

Yea. I been messing with these for 30 yrs and I'm still learning. Biggest thing I've learned is to be careful saying all/always and none/never when talking about Mopars.:)
All 4 of mine came out of the St. Louis plant within about 6 months. Other plants may have some differences.
I agree, on the all/always and the none/never. I couldn't tell you how many plants mine are from, as that is something I never kept up with, but they have came from all over the country.
The moment someone tells me they know everything about these cars is when I'm going to run. There are many that know more than me and when I have a question that no one has a definitive answer to I look at the best example I have to make a educated guess.

Ok we know there are many differences 66 to 67. The colunm paint is a biggie. The column in a 66 is painted the same as the upper door frame and it is full gloss. A 66 column is not painted body color. It is just that the EE1 upper door frame color is the same as the body color. But the painter is looking at the upper door frame color code when painting these parts.

1967 Brought many changes and now the column is the same paint as the dash and is a flat finish.
The copper Dash paint should have metallic in it. Just like red and blue.

I have only noticed one plant differences in the dash and column paint, or on the entire cars. Other than LA cars have darker primer on the bottom of the car which is very noticeable when the car is not undercoated.

out by the Pacific Ocean we have mainly. LA and St Louis built cars.

Ok we know there are many differences 66 to 67. The colunm paint is a biggie. The column in a 66 is painted the same as the upper door frame and it is full gloss. A 66 column is not painted body color. It is just that the EE1 upper door frame color is the same as the body color. But the painter is looking at the upper door frame color code when painting these parts.

1967 Brought many changes and now the column is the same paint as the dash and is a flat finish.
I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks

I have only noticed one plant differences in the dash and column paint, or on the entire cars. Other than LA cars have darker primer on the bottom of the car which is very noticeable when the car is not undercoated.

out by the Pacific Ocean we have mainly. LA and St Louis built cars.
I know that my 66 EE1 car has not been touched. Can you say why the upper door color is the light blue and the column is EE1, dark blue?

Sorry, my above post is wrong. Thinking of a 67 again. Most of my 66 knowledge is from Chargers, my good friend had dozens of them and I was involved in those. A 66 charger blue interior was all dark blue.

Yes the 66 Satellite had those light blue upper door frames.

And a 66 fender tag doesn’t have the UDF codes like a 67. So they can only use the 3 digit trim code from the build sheet and fender tag when painting the interior colors.

If you had a white 66 satellite with the same blue interior the column would be dark blue, not body color white.

Looking at the pics of my original dash color made me wonder if they used a flattened Dark Copper Metallic, Paint code H - Plymouth only. It looks very close to the paint chip. If so and since this is a Plymouth only color, would Dodge have used a different color?

Might have answered my own question above. Here's a pic I found on the web of a 67 GTX Dark Copper ext with Copper interior. Dash appears to be more of a brown or at least somewhere between the 2 shades of copper.

1967-plymouth-belvedere-gtx-90011-miles-copper-metallic-hardtop-440-super-comman-5.jpg

How do you know that GTX dash paint is original or resprayed?

The carpet color is wrong. Look at it compared to the console and the seat, doesn’t go with either. Looks terrible.

66 and older steering wheel, see how much larger the column diameter is compared to the steering wheel center?

C332AF27-5390-48C5-A67D-1F62B11CD0A1.png

I have a 67 Satellite that I am currently working on, HH1 Dark Copper exterior, and Medium Copper interior. The original carpet had a tag that said Rosewood. Dark Brown carpet is as close as I can get to that color. The console, and dash are a contrast to the seat color but not the same as the kick panels, rear seat shelf, and door cards. The colors blend well, but don't show the same in a overall picture.

I thought 66 had the smaller dia. column. 67 was larger because it's collapsible.

Good point about the GTX as I have no idea what's been done to that car and what is/isn't correct. Don't care for the color combo either. However, the Dark Copper, if close to correct, looks darker than my original dash color which is darker than the Medium Copper so I still think my hypothesis in post 16 is wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back