[Mini Review] Waterman Mysterious Blue (Aug 2017 Batch)

Intensity

Waterman inks need no introduction. They are extremely well-behaved, well-flowing and lubricating inks that are safe for all manner of fountain pens.

The reason for posting this mini review is for color comparison. Specifically, Mysterious Blue may or may not have been mysteriously reformulated sometime in the recent years to be less teal and more dark blue leaning slightly green. I have read a lot about this ink being a chameleon, showing up as anything from blue to teal to almost green depending on paper used. So far I have tried it on a lot of different paper types, and I'm not seeing any color change. I have also waited a few days to see if a color shift could occur, but it has not. So in case this brief presentation is of some relevance, particularly comparing "chromatography", here are a few scans.

P.S.: The date printed on the box of my bottle is 08/17

Fabriano Bioprima 85g paper, light ivory color:

fpn_1596493433__img_20200803_0001.jpg

100g A6 paper I got on Amazon, ivory-toned, and Correction: That's GvFC Cobalt Blue for the top purple-blue, not Gulf Blue.

fpn_1596493515__img_20200803_0002.jpg

Tomoe River 52g Cream (I would say it's almost pale yellow), and Correction: That's GvFC Cobalt Blue for the top purple-blue, not Gulf Blue.fpn_1596493572__img_20200803_0003.jpg

(Shameless plug: look at how gorgeous Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo looks on Cream Tomoe River :wub: )

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• Tas

• yazeh

• Gnarlstopher

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, just like my Mysterious Blue cartridges - not really blue-black, and no color shifting, just blue.

This is consistent with my experience with WMB. A well-behaved blue-grey that is easy on the eyes, but it definitely has minimal teal. I was a little disappointed by that fact at first, but Ive since found other blue-black inks that contain as much teal as I was expecting from WMB (based on older swatches).

For reference, this is what I expected at least on some paper. It seems the original was overall less blue and shifted to green in more concentrated, wetter spots:

watermanmysteriousblueswatch1000__07923.

(Image credit: iPenstore)

img_3010.jpg?w=723

(Image credit: TheDailyBedlam.wordpress.com )

http://www.pentulant.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BLUE-WATERMAN-MYSTERIOUS-BLUE-257x500.jpg

(Image credit: pentulant.com )

And this is where it does look identical to Parker Blue Black

blue-black.jpg

(Image credit: PenHeaven.co.uk)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295087-are-they-blue-or-green-quick-comparison/

etc.

Does anyone have the more green version of Mysterious Blue and can post some simple chromatography photographs or scans?

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Mine. I've grown to really like it, as has my Edison Hudson :wub:

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_waterman_mysterious_blue_swatch.jpg

I bought a bottle of Mysterious Blue last year, from an Australian retailer - mine too appears to be the newer (blue-grey not blue-green) formulation. I do like it, but had bought it expecting the more vintage teal-leaning colour, so was a tad disappointed.

I wrote to Waterman inquiring about the color change. They have confirmed it. Quoting from the response e-mail:

"Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in our Waterman ink.

Yes I believe the change in the formula was around 4 or 5 years ago, currently the 'Mysterious Blue' color it does not has the green tilt."

So the change happened around 2015-2016. Possibly the same change to Parker Quink Blue Black (cannot confirm, just inferred from some posts saying the two are the same or that Waterman inks are made by Parker).

. . . .

I have completely solved this issue for myself by adding a small amount of Graf von Faber-Castell Moss Green to my new Mysterious Blue--maybe about 4 total. It hasn't changed the ink consistency or properties, and the ink now has a slight navy-teal velvety look to it with the same red sheen (both Moss Green and Mysterious Blue have the same metallic red sheen). Exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone with Waterman Harmonious Green ink can probably do something similar.

Edited by Intensity

Undoubtedly my part-used old formulation of Mysterious Blue has just doubled in value... :unsure:

Well, I quite like it anyway.

X