To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Westinghouse air compressor, need info.

qwkswede

Hello,
I have been reading and lurking here for years, but this is my first post. I finally have something to contribute.

I bought this air compressor locally that had been in a local wood shop for a very long time. I really need a decent capacity 220V compressor and this one seemed much nicer than the single stage Husky compressors from the big box stores. Though it is much older and has no warranty. I notice parts are available still, which is great!

How much air flow can I expect from this unit? The air control switch says it cuts off at 175psi, and on at 145. The tank appears to be 60-80 gallon range. And the pump is a Westinghouse 5G. But there isn't any other info that I can find on the machine anywhere.

After searching a little more diligently for info, it looks like I probably overpaid for it. But it seemed sturdy and runs good. So I just had to have it. It looks like it could outlive me.

IMAGE_1129.jpeg

IMAGE_1131.jpeg

scw1991

rule of thumb is estimated 4 scfm per horsepower.

Nice looking compressor. That's a pretty massive flywheel!

Last edited:
OP
Q

qwkswede

Thats good info. Unfortunately the electric motor doesn't have a tag on it. I'm thinking maybe I can measure the running current draw with a clamp meter and get an estimate of horsepower that way. Or is there some other way to get power from an electric motor that I'm not thinking about? Maybe just measure the size?

OP
Q

qwkswede

Here is a picture of the pump tag. There is a stamped 5G in the lower left silver rectangle. Westinghouse air brake company. From what I'm reading it looks like these were air brake pumps from trains and some companies put them together with a tank to make stationary air compressors too.

IMAGE_1130.jpeg

scw1991

amperage draw from the motor is your best bet. Looks like a 3450 RPM motor judging by the motor pulley size vs. the flywheel pulley size. Does it have a separate mag motor starter or is power run through the pressure switch?

3HP 230v/1ph motor = 14-17 amps
5HP 230v/1ph motor = 20-22 amps

Last edited:

scw1991

20 years ago, my father made me an air compressor system using the compressor off a diesel truck air brake system. The compressor was mounted off a bracket and driven off the diesel engine crankshaft pulley.

OP
Q

qwkswede

I don't see a separate box wired to the motor besides the 4x4x4" pressure switch box that has power going through it. There is also a special switch box in the power line between the source and pressure switch. It is a GE heavy duty switch of some sort with thermal protection I was told. That will be for turning the compressor on and off. I was given the breakers it was run on, and they are 20 amp units. Sooo, I'm guessing this isn't a 5hp unit judging by your estimate below....

amperage draw from the motor is your best bet. Looks like a 3450 RPM motor judging by the motor pulley size vs. the flywheel pulley size. Does it have a separate mag motor starter or is power run through the pressure switch?

3HP 220v/1ph motor = 14-17 amps
5HP 220v/1ph motor = 20-22 amps

scw1991

Without seeing actual pictures, I'm assuming the GE switch is nothing more than a 30 amp disconnect which in most instances is required by NEC electric code. It's the same switch you'd find on the side of your house going to an A/C unit.

If power runs directly to the pressure switch then from pressure switch to the motor, chances are the motor incorporates thermal overload protection and should have a small reset button.

The pressure switch contacts are what actually turns the motor on/off if you don't have a dedicated mag motor starter.

Carla

MEMBER EMERITUS
Are you sure this thing is single phase? Thats definately a westinghouse made motor.

Only single phase motors have the capacitors which those sheet-metal shrouds cover.

From appearances, its reasonably certainly a 1750 rpm motor. If the owner would post the drive pulley and flywheel sizes, the pump rpm would be easily figured, at least to a close approximation.

The delivered cfm depends on the bore size and piston stroke, that is, the cylinder cubic volume, and rpm, for a 'theoretical' volume of air pumped per minute. Any compressor runs at less than 100pct. efficiency, of course, so actual air delivery will be some percentage less than the 'theoretical volume'.

If it runs well, there's no good point to having it apart to measure.....if it will drive the air equipment its to be used to drive, then its adequate for the job......if not, a larger compressor is needed.....simple as that, really.

cheers

Carla

scw1991

Here is to hoping it is a 1725 RPM motor and not at 3450 RPM motor. That would mean compressor probably runs at 600-700 RPM......nice and slow for maximum life expectancy.

Looks like a 143TC frame motor with 7/8" diameter shaft.

Last edited:

Was this sitting unused for a long time? If so have it outside and be far away the first time it comes up to full pressure.

Regards,

OP
Q

qwkswede

Thanks for the advice on the first run. It didn't sit for too long. It was in service just a few months ago. But I think I'll plan to be far from it on the first high pressure run anyway. I tapped the bottom of the tank with a hammer to make sure it wasn't overly thin. But not sure that is a good test for corrosion. The steel on the tank seems very thick. Much thicker than the new generation tanks sold cheap today.

Looking at the pressure switch, it seems to be rated for 3hp. So probably not a 5hp motor here. The pulleys are 16" and 5". So 3.2 pulley ratio?? I had a 110v 6cfm compressor for a long time, and it couldn't keep up with air die grinders, sanders, drills. The things that run steady were just too much for the old compressor. So I'm hoping this one gives me 2x that airflow.

A couple more pictures.

IMAGE_1132.jpeg

IMAGE_1133.jpeg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AH1o/zN8LYs7AMs0/w442-h589-no/IMAGE_1134.jpeg

Chuckles99

I have a WABCO 1AYC. Was working well until last month.
It recently tipped over during a move and snapped the drive shaft on the compressor pump. Anyone have a working/non-working pump? Would like to keep this as original as possible. The only non-original component is the motor. It's a GE Tri-Clad believe from the 60s.

bgreene1

Hello,
I have been reading and lurking here for years, but this is my first post. I finally have something to contribute.

I bought this air compressor locally that had been in a local wood shop for a very long time. I really need a decent capacity 220V compressor and this one seemed much nicer than the single stage Husky compressors from the big box stores. Though it is much older and has no warranty. I notice parts are available still, which is great!

How much air flow can I expect from this unit? The air control switch says it cuts off at 175psi, and on at 145. The tank appears to be 60-80 gallon range. And the pump is a Westinghouse 5G. But there isn't any other info that I can find on the machine anywhere.

After searching a little more diligently for info, it looks like I probably overpaid for it. But it seemed sturdy and runs good. So I just had to have it. It looks like it could outlive me.

IMAGE_1129.jpg

IMAGE_1131.jpg
I know this is a very old thread, but do you still have your WABCo compressor in service? I Have a 1947 WABCo compressor with a type 5G compressor that I bought from a cousin about 25 years ago. . Works well, but does not have original electric motor. If I recall correctly, I chose a drive pulley to run the compressor at about 600 rpms. Stalls sometimes when restarting under pressure. Want to find a local shop that will overhaul it, but no luck thus far.
Does your tank still have the WABCo logo on it? I want to repaint my tank, but I'm afraid I'm going to lose the logo.

Top Bottom