Register now to get rid of these ads!

1972 Cadillac "Ice Blue Firemist"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nemlio65, Jul 26, 2009.

1. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

Has anyone one used this Very cool silver blue? From 1972 Cadillac Firemist Colors

Attached Files:

2. Big Tony

Big Tony

I've seen a coupe around Dallas area about that color and its Tits

3. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I think that was the same silver blue that Cheverolet used on the early sixties Impalas and Biscaynes.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The "Firemist'' colours were Cadillac only originally, and at first offered on the Eldorados, I think. Later, in the sixties, you could order Firemist colours on all Cadillacs. The Firemist paint contained a much finer ground metalic ( ground aluminum) than other metalic paints of the era.

The Firemist colours are a good choice if you're not lookin for "showcar flash" in a finish, kinda an understated elegant look!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

5. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

I dig that..I'm doing a 60's Fender stratocaster in "firemist Blue" 64 cadillac and yes the metalic flakes are fine giving it a pearlized vibe, nice touch...

Attached Files:

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I worked in a Caddy shop '68/'70 and sprayed a lot of these colors. Love 'em.... They really look good and are flashy yet somewhat subdued when compared to the large flake stuff out there today.... If you want a workout, try paining a '68 Eldo or a 4-door Fleetwood with one of these colors in Lacquer:eek:
    My favorite was Madera plum, but I really liked 'em all with cinnamon firemist on the bottom of the list. Painted a lot of bikes with these colors back then.

Rich

7. RustyPile

RustyPile

Those "Firemist" colors have been around a long time.. I had my '57 Nomad painted Firemist Gold way back in 1972... It was beautifully done, but that laquer sure did chip easily..

RustyPile

8. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

A lot of those colors were interchanged between Gm brands with different names....but I do like that color.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The new versions of the color might not be the same as the original ones.
    I thought that the special metallics in the Firemist colors (right, Cadillac only) were discontinued quite a while ago, and the substitute didn't have the same pizzazz as the originals. This was told to me by my autobody paint supplier, who was pretty knowledgeable.

10. the Firemist colors have always been unique. My 37 was the Firemist Cranberry color painted by my father back in the 70's, the color was awesome in the sun...

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I gotta admit, I don't think I've shot any "Firemist" lacquer in over 25 years, probably 30! Back then, it was only "factory package" and never mixed at the bench. It did, given the small metalic flakes it contained, blend into a panel well. Ah, the days of lacquer!

In the early 80s I was usin a paint called "Suntron", a lacquer sold out here in California for use in matching Jap vehicles oem finishes. This paint had a very fine metalic, kinda like "Firemist". Doubtful it's available, and I doubt you could buy it here, even 15 years ago, but it may still be available in the mid west and east. I don't think the product was ever available in an enamel based finish.

I think my all time favorite Firemist colour is " Cameo Rosewood ", looked good on Eldorados and especially '63-'65 Rivieras!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

12. DMagnolia

DMagnolia
    from inatrailer

13. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

I found "moonglow" is this 1972 "ice blue firemist"

Attached Files:

14. I sprayed my first car Autumn Maple Firemist in 83. Was a deep maroon/red.

15. skullhat

skullhat

i painted one of my step side chevy trucks that color, 2 tones of blue pinstriping. looked killer.

one of the shops i worked at as a kid did all the used car work for neil lehr caddilac. i used to have to do the completes. take off chrome and bumpers, repair badly checked areas (usually most of the car) spray them in lacquer, and polish them, reassemble.
    my commision was 125 per car,lol. that was about 1970-71

i still dont look forward to completes on those big caddies

skull

16. brandon

brandon

when i get stuff mixed , we always swap the metallics for extra course. nothing real heavy but they still pop. color below was a 86 chevy russet poly with course metallic instead of fine..... brandon :D

Attached Files:

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In 1970 I painted my wife's 65 Ford pickup Nutmeg Brown Firemist Metallic lacquer. Came out really nice and shined like crazy.

18. oldsman71

oldsman71

thats a nice color!

19. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

I found this pic on a google search for 1972 "ice blue firemist" what a beauty!!!

Attached Files:

20. teddyp

teddyp

my 57 chevy was painted in 63 with caddy firemist blue later in was done in r&m sungem ( not sure of spelling) poly blue can post pictures later always like the caddy color better