Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 42 Hudson not sure what to do with it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lexi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Lexi

Lexi

hey all!
    i find myself a 1942 hudson supersix coupe
    im not sure what to do with it, i just grab it because it was cheap
    its a really big thing ...does it look cool as rod /custom?
    any ideas, recommendations, pics.....?
    here he is
    [​IMG]

only the engine is missing the rest of the drivetrain is there
    can the orig tranny adapt to something else?
    thx
    alex

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I have a 46 business coupe project. Almost the same car. It was easier/cheaper to go with a modern engine and trans. PLENTY of room in the engine compartment. Chevrolet engine/350 trans are inexpensive and fit well.

My Hudson had bad floors and I replaced the floor with 18 ga. metal from the firewall to the back of the cabin. The frame was packed full of Michigan beach sand and took a lot of effort to clean out/repair the mess.

Presently working on another project. But when I get back to the Hudson, there is a set of power GM Envoy bucket seats going in. Honda power window units and I'm going to keep the interior as a business coupe with no rear seat. ;)

3. Lexi

Lexi

mine is almost rustfree (no holes)
    interior is like new, redone 12 years ago.
    i have a olds 403 and a buick 300 out of a 65 skylark
    IF i do it i gona take one of those 2 i think.

wich way you go yours? hotroded or custom? u change the grill? (one of the things i dont really like on those ;-) )

4. indyjps

indyjps

Its got decent lines, lower it, the kickout on the lower body will work well on a lowered car. rearch the front and rear wheel wells to the same profile, neither arch looks right as is. mild rear tilting chop to get rid of the bubble looking roof. modern v8 and trans, overdrive and hidden a/c would make a nice cruiser, with a hudson there's no brand loyalty so whatevers available in good condition. If its not period correct, just keep the hood closed.

5. George

George

Hot rod, and either of those would be better than a bellybutton SBC. I'd go with the 403 for the cubes & that you don't see too many of them.

6. First thing you should do is get a shift knob for it. :)

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Fender skirts and lowering blocks on the rear.....sit an engine and gearbox in place to see how far the front goes down with the weight chop the roof at the rear and angle the b pillars and door pillars....possibly fit lakes pipes and some sorta tooth grille using bumper over riders.....nice car....well done

8. The only real issue you are going to encounter is the center-point steering on the Hudson. Any V8 engine swap with the starter on the driver's side will present a problem here, assuming you are using the stock front suspension and steering.

9. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Custom----

I would mock up some fadeaway front fenders. Do you have the original grille? If not, how about a 46-8 Olds grille. The nose on these babies are so long. I'd try to find some 16" wheels and WWW. Bumpers and license plate guards. Wraparound front and back bumpers pulled tight to the body.....Just a few of my ideas --- stolen from others of course;););)

Extreme custom... I believe these cars were commonly sectioned, (I have seen a couple in my area even) and slight chop. With the back of the turret blended into the trunk area

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Hudson was a well made car. They had a way of looking bigger, heavier and more expensive than they really are. If you put it back to original appearance it would look very impressive.

The engine not up to today's driving. They had splash lubrication and high speeds were their downfall.

The chassis very good for the times, handling ride and road holding state of the art for the times.

We had a very similar, 1947 Hudson as a family car when I was a baby. My father said he never had a car that held the road so well until he bought a Mercedes in 1972.

Do you have the original chrome trim, bumpers etc? If so I would restore it as close as possible to stock appearance. They look like a million dollars especially if finished in a dark color like metallic maroon or forest green.

My choice would be to restore it to a forties appearance but install a later engine and transmission. The rear axle might need to be changed too, they are very low geared.

They were never hot rodded or customized back in the day. Hudson owners seemed to like their cars as they were.

I have heard of one or 2 with engine transplants.

PS if fixing the suspension and brakes is not practical I would think about buying an older Jaguar and using engine, trans, front and rear suspension. I believe the 1992 and older Jags had removable suspension that was suitable.

The Hudson wheels even have the same bolt pattern as Jaguar.

11. Firecat7

Firecat7

La Carrerra- Pan America.......CLONE:D STREETABLE RACE CARS ARE VERY KOOL:eek:

12. '42 is a fairly rare year; I have one and this is the second one I've seen.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Mine is going to be "resto-rod" type. Stock appearing body. Less some of the excessive chrome srtips. Tighten bumpers to the body. Dodge "Indy truck" blue pearl. Grey leather interior. 70's type wheels. I have a perfect stock 46 grille, less one small piece, to use.

Stock steering box is a pain for any V-8. Mine now has R&P. A "belly button" SBC, 383 with a 144 blower.. 8" Ford rear on rebuilt/tefloned, less a leaf, stock rear springs.

Good luck with yours..

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks like the car was stripped for a paint job and the customer ran out of money.

15. Lexi

Lexi

the pre owner was a doctor who wanted it for his wife ..he gave it to a shop but they never finished.. after 17 !!!years he gave up...during this time the engine get lost in the machineshop.....
    he was soo fedup he didnt even check what parts are really there and wich are missing..no one wanted to buy an incomplete car......my goal
    after i bring him home i find allmost everything and a set of new bodyseals in boxes in the trunk :)
    i thinking of dark maroon, 403/400 maybe airride and something have to happen to the grill or headlamps he have a ugly face :)

btw there are allready 16"on it they look so small on this one....

if i get something i like more maybe i trade him...

16. Here are some scanned copy's of one I built for a customer. I think it was 1991 or 2. PPP used it in there paint adds in 1994 for there Deltron base coat clear coat. I used a Nova sub frame and hand built the back half to run the 31x 16's in the back. It used a BBC to spin them. I have no idea how much it was Chopped any more but the owner said it was Just Right.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Go back to the shop and ask if they have any other parts or books. This is important. They usually have a few odds and ends, and possibly extra keys or an owner's manual or repair manual. Check with the previous owner too.

Leave them your name, address and phone number in case anything turns up.

18. Lexi

Lexi

oh wow
    thx for the pic

it can look cool the chop is really nice

the machinshop get lock down allready years ago, no one there anymore

19. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

for the front end 38 Hudson teardrop headlights might be a start.

[​IMG]

for the grill you could add a rolled edge to the opening and round the corners, then add shortened 1940 Hudson grill bars set back into the opening.

of course these suggestions are worth what they cost you and should be treated as such :D

edit. looks like the headlight idea has been done. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878303

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    kiwijeff likes this.
  20. customcory

customcory

Here is one I drew for somebody a long time ago....

317331_278909918801339_2537149_n.jpg

21. Lexi

Lexi

nice drawing
    i saw allready the roof must come lower then the lines flowing real nice

more pics !!!!anybody?? :)

22. 'Mo

'Mo

A number of Hudsons, especially sedans, were converted to "Sports Customs" in the early fifties, following a How-to article in a magazine.
    A coupe version would also be nice.

[​IMG]

If that is too big a project, your car would still make a nice early-style mild custom, with the right stance and a few small refinements. (I love molded rear fenders on fat-fendered cars for an organic look.) The split grille in Cory's drawing is also very nice.

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure they raced any 42's but the later Hornets certainly have association to all sorts of racing.

I think the lower racing stance might be the way to go rather than a taildragger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you go with the racing theme, maybe add some land speedy elements like a punch & dimple sheet grill. Or make yourself a cardboard template of your grill opening that you can fold up and carry around with you at Swaps and see if you can find a grill that you can work into that space.

Here's a small old thread with some Hudson Truck stuff in it:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126301

24. Now that right there is a damned good idea. I never would have thought to do that.

25. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Thanks!

26. Lexi

Lexi

i think i go the full custom way with chop, airride in dark maroon or purple
    the chop for sure gona be the biggest challenge i had till now... :)

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

It certainly will. I didn't realize you were in Austria. I'm not sure what your options are for parts over there or what you have in the way of swap meets like we have here. I'd also imagine that big, old, American engines are not as common over there. My advice on that in your case would be to find something vintage that makes sense for your build, budget, and part of the world. Do this first. It doesn't matter how low the roof is if it does not move and stop!

28. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

'MO nailed it and said exactly what I had in mind. If you check period publications on the Internet for the years 1946-1956, you will see lots of these Hudsons turned into Sports Customs. One publication I have gives step-by-step instructions on how to turn a stock Hudson into a super looking custom like the one in 'MOs post. The advantage of going the custom route is you can use what you have and adapt other parts that blend harmoniously with your project design. Viel Gluck! - Bei mir bist du schoen.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do you have the original grille and chrome trim?

I suggest you get it on the road with its original appearance. Then decide if you want to change the body.

You have enough work ahead of you, to get the engine, trans, steering, and chassis in good working order.

Also, it is easier to get license and registration for a car that appears original.

30. Lexi

Lexi

thats true
    i have some parts from the grill when i look lately on them im not so sure anymore if its 42 or 46...
    some seems to be early but i have some parts of the newer grill too...
    anyway first build up the engine.. then suspension work that keeps me busy for a while:)