Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 desoto coronado 4dr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by windsor mike, Aug 5, 2010.

1. windsor mike

windsor mike

so i figured id post my current project: 54 desoto coronado 4dr. my plans are a 318 w/ a 904 trans, 8 1/4 rear, disc brakes up front, power master under the floor, frenched headlights, 51 olds super 88 tail lights, maybe shaved handles, and lowered about 4".

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

I thought Coronado was a '55 only thing. If you're planning a swap to a 318, can I assume it has a flathead 6 in it now, or maybe it was a Firedome car and the engine was pulled?

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Cool ride! Should be even nicer when you've finished with your plans.

What color are you going with?

4. Eb4Prez

Eb4Prez

Sweet!! My first car was a '54 Firedome 4dr when I was 15! Did a valve job on the old 276 hemi and drove it all over the neghborhood with no brakes, just used the parking brake!(Long, long ago, in a land far, far away...WI) Your car is definitely an original firedome, they were the only ones with the chrome "hood scoop", and big V under the hood emblem. Enjoy!!

5. windsor mike

windsor mike

coronado started in 54. it had a hemi, but im doing the swap for reliability purposes. and the $$$. there are parts still available for them at my local napa. keepin the hemi for something without fenders.

as for the color im keeping it the original Lapiz Blue w/ the off-white roof. i might add a pearl to the blue just to spice it up a bit. im not big on the original pastel colors of the 50's, well atleast not on cars.

ill post pics as the progress continues

6. George

George

Get a rear sump 318 from a truck or van. Done right the hemi is as reliable as the 318, just more $s.

7. windsor mike

windsor mike

im 23 and still in college so im tryin to do it as cheap as possible

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Mike,

Those cars are rare as they are. Not too many of the Coronado units were built.

As for taillights, I'd swap in a pair of '55 DeSoto's which are very cool, and wouldn't be that much trouble to fit in. PLUS, they'd almost look like they were "born" there...and keep the DeSoto "purists" guessing and arguing if you had a MoPar "concept" or "project" car that escaped from the Crusher !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. windsor mike

windsor mike

figured id update my build. havent posted in awhile. i swapped out the hemi for the 318. i know its blasphemy, but i wanted reliablity for a much cheaper price. also had to convert to rack and pinion steering in order to have clearance for the starter. you would think that the 318 would fit because the hemi is bigger, but the starter is in a slightly different position. used a 93 cavalier rack and 02 hyundai tie rod ends. oddly enough they fit in the steering arms perfectly. also moved the master cylinder from under the floor to the firewall. got a booster and pedal assembly from a early 90's astro van. also put a 8 1/4 rear from a 83 mirada (no pics though) and used a driveshaft from a 65 newyorker just switched the yoke.

i know its not traditional, but when guys built cars back in the 50's and 60's they used what parts they had available, and thats exactly what im doin now.

Attached Files: