Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOW WITH SNAKE-FU! New Ray '64 Chevy II Nova New Pics 11/23

Snake45

Here's my review of the new diecast New Ray '64 Chevy II “Nova SS.”

Overall body shape and proportions are quite good. The only thing that catches my eye as “wrong” is the upper edge of the side winows. Photos of real first-gen Novas shows this line should be either dead-straight, or perhaps bow up very slightly. On the model, this line bows down very slightly (“sags”). This is fixable, but it would be a bit of work. I'll live with it for now, but if I ever go to the trouble of painting one of these, I'll fix it.

The body has a chrome trim strip running down the middle of the sides (not chrome or tampo silver on the model). This trim is seen on some first-gen Novas, but I don't believe it's correct for a '64 SS. Removing it would, again, be a bit of work, so I'll live with it. As you can see, the body also includes the chrome trim strip along the body upper sides, done in tampo silver. There's more tampo silver around the rear wheel arches and down the rear fenders. I was able to find a very few pics of Novas with this type of chrome trim, but again I don't think it should be on a '64 SS. I'll remove that one way or another. It's not molded in, just tampoed on. Good.

The grille and rear panel/taillight areas look pretty good. Fit of the grille could be better but I think it can be "massaged" into a better fit without too much trouble. The model comes in two colors, black and “burgundy,” which isn't really burgundy at all but sort of a darkish metallic red not unlike Model Master Stop Light Red. The '64 Chevrolet color chart shows no burgundy or maroon; I think maybe they were going for “Palomar Red,” a darkish metallic red. The finish on mine has a certain amount of orange peel but is pretty shiny. Again, I'm living with it for the moment.

Engine? Don't ask. You don't want to know. The chassis is also a simple 1-piece deal. The wheels are on simple metal axles, not any kind of fancy “poseable” arrangement. Good. They can be replaced by equally simple 1/25 kit wheels and tires. I like this. I'll probably replace mine with Cragars and tires from the AMT '72 Nova.

I'm no expert on earlly Nova interiors, but this one seems to have a certain amount of detail and doesn't seem to be “generic.” The door panels look nice, but there is no upholstery on the sides of the back seat. The interior would respond well to some detail painting if one were so inclined.

Speaking of the doors, the door line gaps are fairly large. Again, fairly major work to fix, so I'll live with it.

Oveall, I like the thing and think it's worth the price. Shape and apperance-wise, I'd rate it similar to the BEST of the Welly, Maisto, and even Johnny Lightning diecasts, and much better than many of those. It's not as good as an M2 or Greenlight or any of the high-line diecasts. I think it will respond well to some Tender Loving Silver Sharpie Care and other Snake-Fu.

64NovaDC04.thumb.jpg.ad12a3207823aff11e2

64NovaDC05.thumb.jpg.d01d4fef895af0beb52

64NovaDC06.thumb.jpg.314eb590d5d62361857

64NovaDC07.thumb.jpg.df356461a93d6a9c566

64NovaDC09.thumb.jpg.70ec1718954c88ef15e

64NovaDC10.thumb.jpg.271079c53420ce47322

Oh, and though it's being advertised as 1/25, it's clearly 1/24, as can be seen in this comparison with an AMT 1/25 '65 AWB Nova body.

64NovaDC12.thumb.jpg.61d4dd43871dc76503e

Edited by Snake45

I didn't notice until last night that the vent windows are part of the windshield, and thus stay with the body when the doors are opened! I might cut those loose and attach them to the doors.

BTW, I did a little test last night and the Walmart nail polish remover will take off the silver tampo without bothering the red paint, no problem.

The more I look at and play with the thing, the more I like it.

That windshield glass is pretty thick.  You might ditch those stock wing vents altogether and replace them with some .010" clear sheet styrene.  Thanks for the tip about the nail-polish remover -- I might need that someday.

Be sure to get the NON ACETONE kind. It works great. And I got that from another member here--I think his name is Madhorseman, or something of the kind.

• 3 months later...

And here's the little beauty after a standard Snake-Fu workout. Wheels hit with rattlecan clear satin; grille and taillights detailed, body trim "chrome" removed/cleaned up with nail polish remover; window trim and other body "chrome" done with Silver Sharpie, and so forth. Doesn't look half bad for $20 and a few hours of time. 

64NovaDC14.thumb.jpg.e8b2c92ed394ce2a720

64NovaDC16.thumb.jpg.b327b9601b473f7202e

64NovaDC21.thumb.jpg.1ab83cb6cf7a4a7a081

64NovaDC19.thumb.jpg.c3944d9e67c18dffb17

Edited by Snake45

BTW, just got back from Hobby Lobby where I scored a '70 Cuda in what looks like it could be 1/25 from this same maker, New Ray. $19.95 retail. It's an odd amalgam of AAR and Hemi features, but the size looks right and the body shape is pretty darn close. I can do SOMETHING with it, I'm pretty sure--at least have $20 worth of Snake-Fu fun with it. 

Pics and a better review as soon as I have a chance to sneak it into the house, past The Lovely Mrs. Snake. B):lol:

On 11/25/2017 at 3:03 PM, Dodge Driver said:

I can tell you're having a blast with these cars. That's what modeling is all about! B)

You know, I really am. It's a nice break from "serious" modeling to take something that's basically a toy and in just one or two sessions of a couple hours, turn it into an acceptable replica that one's not ashamed to have on one's shelf. I take mine in to work and display them on my shelf there. I would NEVER do that with any of my "good" models. 

• 3 years later...