Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Charger

doorsovdoon

1 hour ago, espo said:

They offered a lot of great colors on these Chargers when new. Had a customer that drove one done in a rich bright high metallic gold. I think they look best without the vinyl roof cover as that seem to distract from the great looking body lines. 

Likely that gold was GY8 or GY9, a gorgeous colour.

• Like 1

Decided to go for a gold colour. I tried looking for as close a match to paint code GY8 but turned out a little lighter out of the can, but never mind, it's good enough for me. No primer needed. Stripping the old paint gave the surface a nice key for the new colour to stick to, and less layers means less detail being flooded, so that's good:) Floor pan overspray and sub frame were given a light dusting like the yellow I originally laid on so didn't really need stripping like the body.

Dordge71.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Looks good so far and you bring up a good point about the excess layering of paint obscuring molded in detail. 

Yes, paint always seems to look nicer after a failed first attempt I find. I think I'll try a Scotch pad instead of primer on my next build. If my paint looks better, that'll be the way I go from now on. It'll save me a buck or two on primer as well! Lol

I wouldn't worry about the gloss/matt finish issue. The only way around this that I can think of would be to mask the area and spray a matt clear maybe. The problem is using any masking tape could also cause the decals to lift from the body when you remove the tape. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, espo said:

I wouldn't worry about the gloss/matt finish issue. The only way around this that I can think of would be to mask the area and spray a matt clear maybe. The problem is using any masking tape could also cause the decals to lift from the body when you remove the tape. 

Yes, masking tape would definitely lift them. I had an idea but wasn't until I assembled most of the car. Lacquer the whole car with the decals on, then mask around them and rub the lacquer with 5000 grit to remove the shine.

Edited by doorsovdoon

Done. It's only taken half a year, Lol! Finished up last night but was too dark and wet for outside pics. Here's one for now until the weather improves and I can post in Underglass. Thanks for following along guys, and thanks for the colour suggestions after the paint failed, haha! On to the next.

71Charger.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...