Dec 21, 2021
UT
First Name
Mason
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Just a young guy with a little family. 4 Kids and an amazing wife. Grandpa had an old jeep as a young father, about the same stage of life as I am now. It was a 1943 Willy's he bought for $75 in 1959. I'll include a PDF of the story from grandpa. It's too bad he didn't keep that one in the family. The jeeping was big in the family for years after that, my dad and siblings had many trips to the hole in the rock out by halls crossing Marina, and all over San Juan County. Grandpa bought the 49 CJ3A I think in 2009. The family used it in the local Fourth of July Parade and other community events over the years. Like most old jeeps it leaked gear oil like crazy and when it only gets used 2-3 times a year it needs to be topped off every time it gets used. I have been the only one to get it out and use it in the last 4-5 years and started talking to grandpa about buying it from him in early 2021. He ended up with Cancer in Oct 2021 that was widespread, I was able to seal the deal for purchase before he passed the week before Christmas 2021. Looking now to Fix the old girl up, where she can be driven more often with my family, and try to keep her as original as possible, just like Grandpa always wanted.
Grandpa's first jeep 1943 MB.
Screenshot_20211226-222950.png

The 1949 CJ3A. 4th of July 2021.
PXL_20210703_173827020.jpg
Grandpa and my Son Below. Oct 2021

Owen and JF.jpg

Last edited:
Just a young guy with a little family. 4 Kids and an amazing wife. Grandpa bought the 49 CJ3A I think in 2009? The family used it in the local Fourth of July Parade and other community events over the years. Like most old jeeps it leaked gear oil like crazy and when it only gets used 2-3 times a year it needs to be topped off every time it gets used. I have been the only one to get it out and use it in the last 4-5 years and started talking to grandpa about buying it from him in early 2021. He ended up with Cancer in Oct 2021 that was widespread, I was able to seal the deal for purchase before he passed the week before Christmas 2021. Looking now to Fix the old girl up, where she can be driven more often with my family, and try to keep her as original as possible, just like Grandpa always wanted.View attachment 112773
The Old Jeep Above. Grandpa and my Son Below.
View attachment 112774
Yep! Family and the things that bind family--define family--are the most important. I hope that little one in grandpa's hands learns to drive in that jeep! Welcome to the list. There are a few leak fixing threads here too.

Mason, sincere condolences on you Grandfathers passing.

But hey, what a fantastic way to keep his memory and legacy alive! That's a really great looking CJ, hopefully you'll make plans to bring up to the OWF Moab Willys Rally this spring. We'll raise a toast to your Grandpa
:D

I like the small leather top you have on there. Where did you get it?
Sorry, I am not sure where the Bikini top came from. The first time I saw this jeep was in Sep 2010 after grandpa had worked on it for about a year. (I was out of the country) The little shade top was already on it at that point. Not sure if Grandpa had that made, or the prior owner.

The Project has started!
PXL_20220528_153544966.1.jpg

Finding the original color, I'm thinking it was Universal Beige?
IMG_20220606_220713_02.1.jpg

Been debating the color to repaint, Grandpa bought it with the current green paint, but I'm thinking Michigan Yellow or Potomac Gray.
Screenshot_20220612-181220.jpg
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1...o/AF1QipOzY6kP1h6bEQy2FQB-eNoeXw9xVP01TXyikZM

Doing a full Tub removal, new seals and gaskets on the Transfer case, Transmission, Rear Diff/axels. As always fixing other items that need addressing as the project moves forward, like the new steering wheel, which lead to needing a new Tube&Worm since the threads were stripped. Grandpa or other PO had used the Inner threads to press and hold on the last Steering Wheel and moved the Horn to a button on the dash.
PXL_20220604_231600006.1.jpg
PXL_20220612_035001603.1.jpg

Also found what may be the original plate (If not a very old one) under the back seat.
PXL_20220611_171137036.1.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220604_231623988.jpg
    PXL_20220604_231623988.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 3
Welcome!!! I really enjoy the family history of the jeeps. I have the '58 wagon that my father bought in '74 when I was in high school. We have several family stories that involve that jeep and jeeps in general. It is a binding force!

PXL_20220604_231623988.jpg Those inner threads were not there from the factory, but added as a repair. Fo something this important I suggest putting it back to stock as a mimimum and replacing that steering column shaft as the roots of the threads might be so close together that the leverage of the steering wheel could cause it the break apart right there.

Welcome!!! I really enjoy the family history of the jeeps. I have the '58 wagon that my father bought in '74 when I was in high school. We have several family stories that involve that jeep and jeeps in general. It is a binding force!

PXL_20220604_231623988.jpg Those inner threads were not there from the factory, but added as a repair. Fo something this important I suggest putting it back to stock as a mimimum and replacing that steering column shaft as the roots of the threads might be so close together that the leverage of the steering wheel could cause it the break apart right there.
Hey JabJeep

Yes, I bought the new shaft from KaiserWilly but is on back order, so I'll see if it shows before I start putting it all back together. I really think grandpa used a Tap/Die set to add the threads. He was for sure had a, find something laying in the shop and make it work mentality. He might be a little irritated with the budget spent on the jeep so far, but I want it to last another 70 years so. getting the correct parts when needed is best for sure.

Found another paint Option. I believe this is the 43' that grandpa used at the service station that was owned by his father. Might be fun to go with White and those sweet Red Rims on the paint job of the 49'.
Lyman Service Jeep.jpg

It sure would be nice if you could find that one too! It's hard to tell whether or not the grille is MB/GPW but the headlights and blinkers are CJ. Appears to be the case with the wheels as well. I wonder if someone in your area still has it and remembers finding the company name on the hood when they repainted it. Looking at the first picture, it had the headlights then, so the change must have been done early, maybe during his rebuild.

Moving Along. The body is pulled. Ordering suspension kit next week. finish seals on the Trany/Transfer then bolt it back on. Once I've got the mechanical stuff wrapping up I'll sand the body, fenders, and grill and prep for some new paint. Decided to go with Potomac Gray with Black Rims and accents.

Attachments

• PXL_20220617_214331736.jpg
    PXL_20220617_214331736.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220617_214406057.jpg
    PXL_20220617_214406057.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
Back