Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Another n00b with a 69 cougar

Here's my 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 originally with a 2v 351 and fmx.

The head light doors work but I bled the vac off doing something before the pic

I obviously haven't started yet, in the process of research and parts gathering.

The goal it will look and drive like a cougar eliminator that never was. Initially I had no idea what I wanted in terms of a drag car, and road coarse car, or a car to take on long trips. So I want it all, my dads cousin who has a 68 chevelle fiqured I would be making it a pro touring car and after a quick google here I am.

Sadly the chevelles 427, pasted away two weeks ago coolant in the oil one thing led to another now the block is cracked.

So far what I'd like to do is remove the shock towers and replace the entire front suspension. And thanks to this forum and extensive searching I have no idea what is going up there. I was originally going to go with a martz weld in front chassis since I've seen it on the Year One 66 and Bud Brutsmans 69, but I don't know now. I will send the car out to Fast Eddies Race cars in Orange to get custom subframe connectors run through the floor pans (I'd probably destroy the car).

Motor will be a 528 bbf 4.5 bore x 4.14 stroke Eliminator Ultra block, forge scat crank, 6.8 bbc rods tbd, forged pistons, cam will be about 270 duration lift to be finalized, and... the best part when they're released and brand new set of Jon Kaase Boss heads.

Kaase's test motor made 910hp at 7000rpm with a similar setup except smaller bore and bigger stroke at 521". I want to choke it down to 700hp (I must be crazy people spend tons of money to find horsepower and I'm throwing it away).

Backing it all up will be a mccleod street twin and a beefed up t-56 going into a fab 9 with 3.89 gears and mostlikely a trutrac. I need to call rockland gear, and see about there tranzilla jr. I've heard about but fail to see on there website. I'd like to use a g-bar rear suspension system, and from what I've heard people like and will be perfect.

Paint I'm leaning towards autoairs pearlescent blue. No real body modifications, just the eliminators front and rear spoilers and hood scoop. JME gauge pod, I wanted cobalt gauges or even the new Nexus gauges but they don't make them in 2 5/8" for both and 5" for the nexus.

Should be down to bare metal and on a rotisserie before summer. Major fabrication (if you can call it that) should be done by fall... if I'm lucky
      Kenneth N.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Boss 429 clone under construction

I always liked the early Cougars. My Mom had a 66. Neat cars.. good luck!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com