Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any one have a 1974 "LOVE BUG" special edition.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoffffreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a green 74 love bug with a 2017cc. My grandpa bought it brand new for my grandma. the drove it till the motor died. then my dad rebuilt it as a 1600dp with my grandpa who then gave it to my dad as a wedding present! after i was born (me being the third child) my dad parked it because we couldnt fit everyone in it. i gained an interest aroung 15 and started working on it as a father son project. its been drivable for about 2 months now and i love it!! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks. I found a Ravenna green (2nd ext. repaint, inside original) '74 beetle for sale locally- and I'm trying to determine whether or not it is a Love Bug. It has a 6/74 manufacture sticker. It's VIN falls in to the range offered by SE Beetles.com, but it has a couple oddities.

Both front door handles and window scrapers have a regular, bright finish.

All other bumper and side trim is black- including the script and hood/decklid handles.

It has really snug-fitting recarro-style bucket seats- that look frighteningly factory. The rear seat is stock and upholstered the same as the fronts, in a gray denim-type sporty breathable fabric.

Through this site and others- I'm having a tough time finding evidence that Ravenna green was used on any beetle other than the lovebug.

Can you folks please help me out? I'm hoping to move on this car tomorrow. Thanks, Bradford

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest- do your seats look like these-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/etwilson/347357777/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/etwilson/348194306/

Then you have seats taken out of a 1973 Sports Bug special edition based on a Super Beetle.

Here's a red LB. Although the photo is not mine, it is from a past VW "Bug-a-Fair" meet in Terryville, CT; held in August.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/70626467@N00/7891283780/

Ravenna green (code L65K) was offered on the '73 and '74 SuperBeetle-based convertibles, as well as late Ghias.

Here are VW color charts for '73 and '74-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1973
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/74colors.php

Ravenna green nor Phoenix red do not show up for the '74 chart due to the LB being a special edition. VW also had the SunBug special edition in '74. Its gold color is also not listed on the chart.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Rome!

The seats in this are different than the (rather 914-ish looking) example you linked me to. I've never seen stock Recarro seats in a bug- but they look very period correct. I'll price replacing the seats with stockies vs. reupholstering these buckets. I'm sure LB sport seat searching would be a long term deal.

Nonetheless, I did pull the trigger on this car about an hour ago! I like Ravenna so much that I likely would have caved in regardless of the car's possible lack of LE status! It runs, but needs bumper-to-bumper lovin'. I'll post a thread on here when I retrieve it from it's storage unit isolation and the title's in my name.

Thanks so much again sir!
Sincerely, Bradford

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrat's hitest! I can't wait to see it resurrected from the storage shed.

Corrected for typo that I never noticed

Last edited by mrmdls on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the LB, hitest! Pls take a good photo of your front seats and post it here. Some of us such as Bruce and Glenn would be interested in seeing some older Recaros in a '70's Beetle. At the very least keep the Recaros while you look for stockers with the plaid cloth inserts, or get some stockers in the usual leatherette and have them reupholstered if you are truly going for a correct look.

And keep your eyes open for the glovebox emblem-
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rome, I never knew they came with a glovebox emblem. That must be extremely hard to find.
Silent Thunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Love Bug Emblem Reply with quote

I would love to buy the dash board emblem to complete my unmolested original love bug.
49ermapleleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: 1974 Love Bug L32K Phoenix Red Reply with quote

Hello

I was doing some research on my 1974 Beetle and I came across this forum. I noticed the posting on the "1974 Love Bug" and realised that I own a "Love Bug" in Phoenix Red.

I have owned my 1974 Beetle for 21 years, it was the first car I ever owned. It came from Georgia and had original paint on it when I bought it. It was in really good shape when I bought it. I have worked on it over the 21 years and took the body off about 10 years ago and restored it. The paint code on the car was L32K and all the trim is black. I repainted the car in L32K paint color. I have always loved the color combination.

Reason I have posted is I am trying to find out what the car maybe worth as I am thinking of selling it. It has been redone and barely driven since I restored it. The freshly rebuilt engine has less than 1000 KM's on it. It has never seen winter.

If I were to sell this car how much would something like this be worth?
I have read that the Phoenix Red it more rare than the green. Is that true?

How do you post an image?
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Love Bug L32K Phoenix Red Reply with quote

49ermapleleaf wrote:
How do you post an image?

Also, when you make a post, at the bottom of the window, there are a few links that show you how. Basically you upload pictures to the Samba Gallery. After you do, there will be a code at the top of image in which you can copy and paste into a post.

As for value, considering thru the mid to late 70's, VW came out with "Special Editions" almost every year, so unless you find someone who really wants to pay a premium for SE Beetle, figure the value will be about the same as a similarly restored regular Beetle of the same vintage.

If you sell it through an auction, or maybe Hemmings, you might find someone that may value it another 10-15% but I wouldn't hold your breath.

-jeffrey
49ermapleleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of your beetle to me depends on the hardest economic factor: emotion. I bought my LB based solely on my attachment to the color as a kid- long before I knew it was an SE beetle (just like you). That said, I paid easily 50% higher for that car than I would a regular beetle of the same year/condition. I consider my value really high.

I still think VW people are buying SE beetles, whereas auction speculators are buying '79 verts; campers and splitties.

In perfect condition, with all things equal, I'd bet it's true worth is closer to no more than 20% higher than a regular beetle's. Simply put, if placed next to a regular beetle worth $3000, yours would be about $3600 IMO.

FU#5
emtbasics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how many of the "Love Bugs" were made in 74? I keep hearing the term "rare" thrown around, but exactly how rare are they? Other than that, my research doesn't turn up any numbers.

Teddy Kennedy needed a Volkswagen

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-26166.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a little research brought me here, as I have recently purchased a 74 Love Bug. I mistakenly thought they were called Sport Bugs, but found out I was wrong. Anyway, I figured I would post up in here as it seemed to be the right place.

Here is my car, recently pulled from storage. It was outside most of the last year, but had been indoors for close to a decade previous.

Custom wheels and front fender.

Interior has been replaced. No more houndstooth.

I have known this car since the late 90's. My former manager at a local ski shop owned it, and built it for his kids to drive. He is an excellent mechanic (mostly marine stuff) and went through the engine meticulously when it was determined necessary. The car has not run in a year, and the brakes are gone, but I will tinker it back into shape. The car was sold new at Wilcox Motors in Billings, MT. Still has their sticker on the decklid, and a couple of stamps in the owner's manual.

The price was very reasonable, and the car came with a ton of spare parts, tools, and a bunch of early Rabbit parts, too. Still trying to sort through it all. Plenty of good tradin' stock, for sure.

I have actually owned one other Love Bug. Back in @1990, I needed a tranny for my 73 standard, and I found a lime green bug in the front yard of a house in Northern MN (where I lived at the time) for $100. It had a rod through the block, and so much rust you couldn't lock your dog it it. We sawed the rear apron off to make engine/tranny removal easier, and I hauled the carcass off to my friend's junkyard. As of a few years ago, it was still there, but I think it got crushed recently. Google Earth shows a clear field where that car once rested.

Bradford, we need to see pics of your Ravenna Green beauty in here.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it came with a full set of the correct wheels, and a full set of mounted studded snow tires on stock steelies.

Only photo I have right now.

I do have another set of these wheels, but they are flat black (original paint) and two of them are 5.5 inchers. I always thought that the Sport Bug came with these, but I am not so sure after this evening's research. Can anyone enlighten me? I will get a few photos of them tomorrow.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting post about the wheels from another thread.

Rome wrote:
Careful with the wheels- although the LB wheels LOOK like those from the late convertibles at first glance, the LB's actually have a different offset (more "deep dish effect"). You can easily check this if you see some for sale, by looking at one of the flat sections between wheel bolt holes. If you see the small characters (only about 1/5" high) "ET34" then you have the LB wheels. Another clue is that the bent rectangular vent holes that are outboard of the lug bolts, LB wheels are missing a thin "lip" which goes around all 4 sides of those vent holes. Those for convert's have them, and their ET # is usually higher than 40.

If the LB-style wheels you are looking at seem wider than 4.5", and the ET# is 26, then you are looking at the 5.5" wide SportBug special edition wheels from 1973. You can see the width stamped into another of those 4 flat sections. If the ET is 40 and the wheel width is 5.5" then you have a wheel from a Porsche 914. Either of those wider wheels will look great on your car, especially if you fit slightly wider tires like 185/65.

The silver sport wheels I pictured above have an ET of 41, so it sounds as if they are not correct for my Love bug. The black wheels I have show an ET 26, so they are from a Sport Bug. ( I had to go out for a quick look with a flashlight Wink )
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wheels are correct: All Beetles built for the German market hat ET 41 from August 1973 on due to a changed front wheel suspension on the Super Beetle. It is true that there are sport wheels 4,5 j with ET 34 (until July 1973, the first European Jeans Beetles series for example) as well as with ET 41 (from August 1973 on).
Anyway, the small difference in the distance between the front wheel does only affect the Super Beetle´s more comlpicated front wheel suspension. It is no remarkable difference for the Standard Beetle.
Standard Beetles sold in Europe switched from ET 34 to 41 in August 1973 only to switch back to ET 34 in January 1978 (Mexican imports) - without any change on the front wheel suspension.
So I think the wheels ET 41 are absolutely correct for your Bug. And even if they were not, it would be no problem driving them.
emtbasics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a '74 Ravenna Green (and primer, lol) Love Bug that I am working to restore. I keep hearing about the special houndstooth seat covers that are different than the stock basket weave, but can never find pics. My Beetle has the basket weave, and I can't determine if this is original to the car. Anyone have pics they'd care to share?

[/img]

Teddy Kennedy needed a Volkswagen

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-26166.png]Click to view image[/URL]
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pictures but I parted out a red, one-family-owned-since-new 1974 Love Bug that had draw-string type seat covers installed in it. Front seats were wasted but I think the rear seat upholstery was probably still in decent shape under the covers. Never pulled the covers off to look. The rear seat is buried in my shed but I might have a chance to look at it today. Nice weather is predicted. Applause

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Corey and Rome! I don't know how I forgot about this thread. Enclosed are a couple photos of my car when I first rescued it from a storage unit. I still am not sure of the seat manufacturer. Honestly, I've done nothing with the car since buying it because two weeks later, a one-owner 62 ragtop came into my life. But I will start this on car this year:

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: