Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whitewall trivia, '63 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Whitewall trivia, '63 bug Reply with quote

anybody know what whitewalls would have looked like if they had been ordered on a new '63 bug? I dont imagine them being the "fat" whitewalls but rather the narrower ones of the early 60's cars.

Anybody know when whitewalls changed over to the narrower kind? Im guessing somewhere around 58-59.
Hmmm Idea
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a 1964 VW color options flyer from the archives. I'd guess the Beetle in the picture is a '63.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that pic. I'd like to hear more about whitewalls, i.e., what the bugs came with. Maybe there already is a thread on The Samba.

I love your bug, it's one that I look at alot. Im really happy with my '63 I found 3 years ago, quite unmolested all things told. Im considering putting whitewalls on it when I need tires in the not-too-distant future.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the "Archives" button at upper right?

Hover your mouse cursor over it. Then left click on the "Literature" that will pop up in a list below.

Next webpage left click on the "Accessories Brochures" in the "Miscellaneous" column near the bottom.

Enjoy!
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!!
I hadnt seen that page yet! Im still discovering stuff on The Samba.

Scrolling through the pics it looks like 62/63 was a turning point for whitewalls on bugs.
1961:

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
Yeah!!
I hadnt seen that page yet! Im still discovering stuff on The Samba.

Scrolling through the pics it looks like 62/63 was a turning point for whitewalls on bugs.
1961:

I have two VW beetles, a 64 type 113 and a 65 type 111. I bought the 65 in 1968 and the 64 in 1974. At that point in time in my part of the country ( L.A. beach area there were basically four types of philosophy's out there.
1. The muscle car, street rod, super stock type of Americana, who's idea was hot street cars and race cars didn't wear white walls, or use fender skirts. At that time I also had a car I campaigned in F/Stock Automatic and I adhered to that philosophy.
2. The European car crowd, which I also was apart of (my two beetles). Europeans in general didn't go for white walls and I remember a friend from Germany who had a Mercedes Pagoda coupe said to me that most Europeans considered people who used white wall tires as morons practicing empty American bourgeois gestures. This statement seemed to be backed up by observing cars and talking to people in my travels through Europe.
3. American traditional car buyers of the time, this also included collectors of some high end American cars who's cars like Cadillac, Chrysler, Lincoln which were actually designed by there respective makers to have white walls...after all a proper period correct white wall is the only way these cars look good. The cars look undressed without them.
4. Low riders, tail draggers, chopped topped flame thrower cars almost always used white walls. When I was growing up they were considered by my peers as cars driven by people who lived across the tracks so to speak.

Being part of the American racer and the European car crowd I found inconceivable for me or my buddies to have our cars associated with low riders, Cadillac's, or the old fogies generation. That is what we thought of white wall tires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: