Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint code - matching :-(. Is mine Dark Bright Teal Metallic ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebird
Engine: 305 cui
Paint code - matching :-(. Is mine Dark Bright Teal Metallic ?

Dear members,

Reaching out with more request for help. This one is on paint code now.

I have a 1992 Firebird, T-Top (305 TBI). Just got it 5 months ago, with very limited history or papers. The car generally is in good nick, however there was a lot of rot underneath and wheel wells (arches). Also the hood paint/lacquer was peeling off. Now need to get the hood painted and some wheel arches painted after welding.

Here is the problem:

1. I understood the car came in limited paint options from factory. Mine looked to be the ‘Dark Bright Teal metallic~ code WA9238.
  2. I ordered an aerosol online (for engine bay touch ups). When we used the aerosol on wheel arches, it comes out darker (slightly leaning towards blue, but still teal).
  3. I may need to get the paint made by local manufacturers or order a litre or two online, but I am not sure of the colour code and if that would match.

Questions:
  1. What do you think (looking at the picture) that my car’s colour code is? Is it the ‘Dark Bright Teal Metallic’, is it the ‘Bright Aqua’, or is it the ‘Maui Blue’?
  2. Should I go for an ebay WA9238 (Dark Bright Teal metallic)?
  3. (I do not paint – a friend is helping) How should we aim to match the paint on hood and wheel arches to the rest of the car. I do not have money to spray the whole car (already spent a lot of money ☹)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

JohnnyZee !
Old 08-22-2023, 06:13 AM

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: 91 TA Vert WS6-94 TA Vert
Engine: 5.0/5.7 LT1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73-3.42
Re: Paint code - matching :-(. Is mine Dark Bright Teal Metallic ?

That's the problem with spray cans.
Your paint appears to be 37U or 9238....
So you bought the right color.
The RPO sticker in the center console should also say 37U.

You'd get a better match if you went to an auto body supply store and had them mix you up a quart. They won't custom mix it, but it will match better than that.

Also, the paint on your car is 30 years old, unless it's been painted at some time...
Old 08-22-2023, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1
Re: Paint code - matching :-(. Is mine Dark Bright Teal Metallic ?

Looks like 37U Dark Aqua/Teal. Not an easy color to match even with professional paints and off the shelf spray cans are typically terrible for color matching. If you still have the RPO sticker either in the center console or on the inside of the locking compartment in the trunk, there will be a WA number on that which will tell the paint shop what color it is so they can mix it for you.

Some paint supply shops can do mixed paint into a spray can, but that's only economical for small repair areas. For what you are doing, you'd be better off spraying it out with a paint gun.
The following users liked this post:
Roorancher (08-22-2023)